Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople - Why is it so expensive?  (Read 32025 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it so expensive?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 January 15 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I think you are right smudwhisk.

My husband restores vintage motorbikes in his spare time - that can cost a fortune! Not everyone could afford that and he works overtime and weekends to fund any major costs.

In the past I have helped run free Adult Learning Classes through my local council which attracted a mainly retired age group (it was held on weekday afternoons). These classes sadly are no longer held - cutbacks  ::). The council picked up the SP costs for several sessions and this undoubtedly gave some people the chance to research that normallythey couldn't have afforded. The rest of the sessions we used free resources.

Looby :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 January 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I used to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow to do research, for one reason and another I have been doing it from home recently. I was quite shocked at the prices on the Scotland Peoples website.
1 credit to view results and 5 to view a record, given that it is £7GBP for 30 credits, that can work out very expensive especially if you open the wrong record.
Why is the cost so high compared to say RootsIreland? where you can pay £20 p/m and view up to 1000 records, and the results page is free.
Is it just me that finds this very expensive??

Genealogy has never been cheaper!

Those people who think it is expensive now should have tried researching in the 1950s or 60s even, when nothing was on line, few transcripts existed and research often meant visiting an archive blind without even knowing if they had the records one was looking for. Even if they had the records one had to wait for them to be produced and after all that may have had difficulty transcribing the illegible writing accurately in the time available.
Travelling any distance took hours and was expensive and a research trip could easily involve an overnight stay.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 January 15 08:22 GMT (UK) »
I think of all the places I visit for info and records, Scotlands People is the best value for the best information generally speaking.

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 January 15 08:31 GMT (UK) »
I think of all the places I visit for info and records, Scotlands People is the best value for the best information generally speaking.

Wiggy

Have to agree there, and like the others have wasted credits, especially in the early days, learning my way around how to search with the different spellings of names etc. It is nice when you have the lucky dip and get about 5/6 certs in one go.  I am also on a budget, so when I do get on to search it is heaven, even if I find another two elusive persons. :)

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 January 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
@KGarrad Do you think so?

Yes I do!

I started research before the internet - so I know how difficult and time-consuming that was! ::)
These days, I am unemployed, and on a limited budget;   But 23p for search?! :-\ Bargain!

Family history is not free, and those that think it should be, should in my humble opinion, possibly find another hobby?!

FH is a long-term project, not something that can be completed in a few months, or even years!
I've been doing this for about 40 years.

Finally why did you preface my name with @?
I am not on Twitter and never intend to be!!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 January 15 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello RootsChatters,

Scotland's People is a great site.
Which has revealed so much information to us over the past few years.
We would certainly appreciate the opportunity to take out monthly/yearly
Subscriptions to 'Scotland's People', should this ever become available.

Having so many Scottish connections, it would allow us to spread our wings further.

Jeanette H.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 January 15 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Register House is magic and the staff are so helpful. I well remember many years ago, not being too sure of an entry from the film reader and being brought an original parish register from 1600s, opened at the exact page by a white gloved staff member, so that with the aid of my trusty magnifying glass I could view and read for myself exactly what was written by the 'meenister' of the day.  I spent weeks of 'days off' there over several years, as happy as a sandboy!  ;D

Took me a wee while after the SP website opened to understand how to narrow down searches for free before requesting an item I wanted to see.  It can be done, as Looby & Monica will tell you, with minimal information using alphabetical deduction on names and narrowing down time ranges, double checking your facts and information - that costs NOTHING. If you aren't willing to spend the time are you sure this is a hobby you should be pursuing?

SP took a huge step forward, (a gamble on their part) to put on line what was only previously available to us 'searchers after truth' who had the possibility of visiting in person.  [Remember the folks from overseas requesting look-ups?] Now that took a huge number of dedicated staff hours (+ millions in fees to IT companies/advisors) at not inconsiderable cost to the Scottish government, a massive task by the staff which should not be trivialised, that cost has to be recouped in some way. 

I am no longer fit enough to travel to Edinburgh or well off, so I really appreciate being able to search on line when my finances can stretch to it.  I dread the day I either can no longer afford to do so, or my eyes finally give up.

Be grateful to be fit for the task and to be able to afford at least some research.  :)
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 January 15 18:49 GMT (UK) »
I agree Scotlands people is the best site for searching for records think £7.00 is good value compared to other places ...Register House in Edinburgh £15.00 for a whole day money well spent or the Mitchell Library ...We have all downloaded the wrong certificates which can be a bit annoying put it down to trial & error ... :)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 26 January 15 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Another positive development regarding accessing Scottish records is DIGROS which enables searching to be done locally in Scotland without having to travel to Edinburgh and provides access to newer records not available on SP. For a fee there is no limit to the number of records accessed within the time period paid for. The secret is to build up a huge list of queries to get value for money.

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/census/censushm/occpapers/the-digros-project/digros.html

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)