Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople - Why is it so expensive?  (Read 32106 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it so expensive?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 January 15 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm not a member of ancestry, and I do narrow searches down as much as possible, but apart from comparing other websites considering it is only £15 at the actual research centres to view as many as you like I found this quite expensive.

As others have said, its not possible for many to visit the Research Centre, therefore SP is the only option to view the originals unless you are able to hire a microfilm at an LDS Family History Centre and they are £7.50 per film for 2 months and most centres have no copying facilities, you'd have to take a photograph of the screen which isn't normally that good.  Therefore, SP is good value, especially for post Registration when you consider, as has been said already, that England & Wales Certificates are £9.25 (they were £6.50 when I started researching).

However, in respect of pre-Registration, its free to visit local Archives and view parish registers, admittedly normally on microfilm, but then you only pay for copies or a permit to photograph them, so in that light £15 is expensive. ;)  Yes a number of counties now have their parish registers online on pay per view sites, but you then have to have a subscription to each that you need.

Personally, and I have only one Scottish line from the 1790s backwards, all the rest of my research is in England and a few in France, I'm also a great fan of SP and, like Monica, I've wasted a number of credits over the years but that was more down to having to revise my research methods to Scottish records.  I wish the E&W certificates had as much information on as those in Scotland. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 January 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm not saying it's not a good website, yes it's records are quality and if you have narrowed your search down it wont take a lot to find what your looking for, all I'm saying is that if you have a limited budget on which to search it can be expensive 23p a record or not. If you are experienced with researching it can be cheaper but someone new to research can find it expensive.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 January 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
But surely, maduganme, that applies to all research and researchers, regardless of location?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 January 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
But surely, maduganme, that applies to all research and researchers, regardless of location?

Monica

yes I suppose it does, but until you become a bit savvy as to methods of researching, it can be expensive. My question which I forgot to put in my original post was why is there not a subscription service maybe monthly or so? I have a sneaky suspicion that they don't make money that way, every business has a right to make a profit but when you hold the monopoly I suppose you can charge what you like.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 January 15 22:55 GMT (UK) »
yes I suppose it does, but until you become a bit savvy as to methods of researching, it can be expensive. My question which I forgot to put in my original post was why is there not a subscription service maybe monthly or so? I have a sneaky suspicion that they don't make money that way, every business has a right to make a profit but when you hold the monopoly I suppose you can charge what you like.

SP had a survey last year, one of the questions was whether people would be interested in subscriptions.  This tends to suggest that they may be possibly considering introducing this.  Only time will tell.

Unfortunately as a hobby its not cheap if you wish to do things properly.  Unfortunately, those that rely simply on "free" sources tend to have issues with accuracy.  That said, its far cheaper and easier now than it was even when I started 16 years ago when nothing was online.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 January 15 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I love Scotlands People - I've visited a SP centre - paid my £15 , spent an entire day there, gleaned lots of info and came home with a headache-  and I've purchased many credits online.

When I point anyone in the direction of SP online I usually tend to advise them to be careful and do as many free searches as possible to narrow down the number of results they get and therefore they are less likely to waste money.
But like others I think SP can be good value for money- I can potentially with my £7 fee paid have 5  B or M or D records , saved/printed off all from the comfort of my front room. I have never used Ancestry etc (other than on special offer) or had much positive experience searching Irish records.

Sites like SP don't operate on fresh air, but even though I too have wasted credits on a wild goose chase, I still think it's worth every penny.
I just limit myself to how much I spend in a month.

Looby :)

PS - Just noticed smudwhisk commenting on FH being a costly hobby to do properly and I tend to agree. As I always say when people comment on the expensive of research - most hobbies entail a cost. Some are more expensive than others.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 January 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Scotlandspeople is the Scottish Governments own website and how they operate and what they charge may well be governed by legislation. I would imagine that one of the difficulties with a subscription is allocating the income to the relevant Government Departments.

Andy

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 January 15 23:08 GMT (UK) »

SP had a survey last year, one of the questions was whether people would be interested in subscriptions.  This tends to suggest that they may be possibly considering introducing this.  Only time will tell.

Unfortunately as a hobby its not cheap if you wish to do things properly.  Unfortunately, those that rely simply on "free" sources tend to have issues with accuracy.  That said, its far cheaper and easier now than it was even when I started 16 years ago when nothing was online.

I agree SW, I started a quite a few  years ago myself, and admit with the data online now it is far much easier than it used to be. I have an elderly relative and through watching programmes like find my past etc. she got interested in it (even although I have most of the info she would be looking for) but found she could not afford to do so even if she wanted. Her inability to leave the house would mean she would have to do all her research online which wouldn't be possible on her budget. I just find it a shame that the cost stops people from doing what can be a fascinating hobby.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 January 15 23:14 GMT (UK) »
PS - Just noticed smudwhisk commenting on FH being a costly hobby to do properly and I tend to agree. As I always say when people comment on the expensive of research - most hobbies entail a cost. Some are more expensive than others.

I got my Aunt interested a couple of years back, partly because I'd already researched a lot on her mother's side inadvertently because it turned out she was distantly related to my Dad. ;D  When she first took out an ancestry sub at £107.40, my Uncle commented it was very expensive.  Now that made us laugh a bit because he regularly spends a fortune on new camera equipment and has done for years, that and expensive overseas holidays. :-X  Mind you she has accepted that she would never have started researching pre-online days because of the higher costs.

Yes it can be more expensive than other hobbies, but it all depends on what you want to spend your available money on.  In my Uncle's case, we have always known about his expensive taste in hobbies. ;D

I agree SW, I started a quite a few  years ago myself, and admit with the data online now it is far much easier than it used to be. I have an elderly relative and through watching programmes like find my past etc. she got interested in it (even although I have most of the info she would be looking for) but found she could not afford to do so even if she wanted. Her inability to leave the house would mean she would have to do all her research online which wouldn't be possible on her budget. I just find it a shame that the cost stops people from doing what can be a fascinating hobby.

Unfortunately, that can be said about a lot of hobbies as loobylooayr has already said.

I can appreciate though that some people just don't have the available cash to do the research, and that applies to people of all ages.