Author Topic: Ann SMITH adopted daughter  (Read 3396 times)

Offline scottiegirl44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann SMITH adopted daughter
« on: Sunday 25 January 15 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on tracking down Ann SMITH. In researching my SCOTT family I was looking at the 1901 Scotland Census and in addition the James SCOTT and his wife Louisa and their 5 children there was an Ann S SCOTT - adopted daur -age: 3 mos born in Aberdeen and then in the 1911 Scotland Census with James SCOTT and family she is listed as Annie SMITH - Niece age 9 born in Aberdeen.
I cannot find her birth record, I have looked at Scotlands People and have looked at some of what I felt were the most likely records and found nothing familiar and I have run out of credits. LOL I checked Family Search and found nothing. Ancestry can't find anything matching this information.
Would there be any other places I could look? Something I missed? I have also looked for her as Ann SCOTT and Ann MILNE(Louisa's maiden name) Again I have checked some of what I felt were likely but will need tons of credits to check them all. LOL  I am curious as to if she is actually related or if they may have taken in a child of a friend, also to find out what might have become of her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Kim
Scott, Paterson, Milne, Hardie, Clark, Strath // Bush, Buttle, Rattle, Coghlan, Osborne

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann SMITH adopted daughter
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 January 15 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Her birth may have been registered under another surname. I suggest you try & trace her in the school admission records. Her date of birth will be recorded there. You know her address in 1911 so that should make it easier to find the nearest school in that area. If you click on our "Links to Aberdeenshire Resourses" you will find the link to Aberdeen Council. Hope this helps.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline scottiegirl44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 January 15 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your answer! This gives me a new avenue to search.  I never would have thought of checking there. :) Fingers crossed.

Cheers! :)
Scott, Paterson, Milne, Hardie, Clark, Strath // Bush, Buttle, Rattle, Coghlan, Osborne

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 15 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find her birth record, I have looked at Scotlands People and have looked at some of what I felt were the most likely records and found nothing familiar and I have run out of credits. LOL I checked Family Search and found nothing. Ancestry can't find anything matching this information.

This isn't likely to help you now, but if you are looking for a birth certificate at this time, and you can't find it in Scotland's People, it's not going to be anywhere else. The ONLY primary source of birth, marriage and death information for Scotland after about 1874 (the last date when FamilySearch systematically extracted information) is Scotland's People. Information on FamilySearch, Ancestry and all the other online places after 1855 will contain the same details as are on SP unless there happens to be someone out there who has already researched and solved the same problem.

I assume that you have checked births registered as Smith and Scott, but have you checked under Louisa's maiden name? Could Annie be Louisa's niece rather than James' niece?

School records might help by giving you an exact date of birth but I would be surprised if they give you a different surname.

One small point: a child aged 3 months on the date of the 1901 census would be 10, not 9, by the date of the 1911 census, so there is a very slim chance that these could be two different Annies.

So if you want to find Annie's birth you are going to have to persevere with SP. It might be worth hiring a professional searcher, who should be able to find the record more easily.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 15 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention that the school admission records will give the pupil's home address & who her parent or guardian was. For example my great grandfather's wife died in childbirth & his youngest child was brought up by her maternal grandparents. I found that information off these records, as they gave the name of her next school when she left the area.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 February 15 18:17 GMT (UK) »
To support the type of records flst is suggesting, Angus/Dundee have this on the FH site www.fdca.org.uk/Liff_Road_School.html (hadn't seen this before. The volunteers for FDCA are quite something the way they keep on loading on these records, for free access  :)).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that link Monica. These records are so useful for tracking a family's movements between the censuses (particularily if they were agricultural workers who may have had to shift every 6 months).
flst

Offline scottiegirl44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 February 15 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your suggestions!! I apologize for not answering before now, I was caught up in the big Genealogy Do-over. So intense and a lot of work! LOL I do appreciate these suggestions so with some new ideas and tools I learned maybe I can find her or at least some more leads or information. :)