Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Can't locate marriage Scotlandspeople or familysearch ?  (Read 12608 times)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Years ago (1990's) I ordered directly from the GRO in Scotland a extract of an entry in an OPR. I cannot remember how I got the details to order the correct entry. May have been via IGI or a familysearch film.
Anyway I wanted today to download an updated version as well as find the reference details for the entry that I have. But 1. It is not showing on Scotlandspeople at all no matter wildcards, searching for time frame with no mention of any names etc. Have tired even up to 1854 as well as in Civil Registration time frame but no luck. I also cannot locate the entry any more via familysearch and as they no longer have the old IGI I cannot check references there either.
In fact with my searches I have found NO marriage entries for the Cavers area of Roxburgh showing for the time period of 1836, and yet there is a couple showing via familysearch for that time period. (talking about other couples in this case)
I have attached a copy of the old certificate I got years ago so as to give you some idea of what I am talking about. The information much be there somewhere. BTW also checked the Catholic records as well with no results.
Marriage was: Cavers Roxburgh, Nov 13th 1836
To proclamation of James Miller, Northhouse in this parish and Euphemia Wintrop Hawick Sheil Tollbar, in the parish of Lauder.

Any ideas on where to actually find this entry for my referencing purposes would be greatly appreciated. Or has anyone had any luck in contacting Scotlandspeople re this type of situation previously.
thanks Ailsa

copyright Image removed by moderator

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot locate this marriage anymore on Scotlandspeople or in familysearch ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 15 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Proclamation of Banns isn't necessarily a marriage.  It maybe they got cold feet?  What's with the 1/2? Were banns called just twice? You would expect to see at least two entries one for first banns in one parish, second for marriage in the other parish.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 January 15 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your quick reply. I have children of this marriage of which all state on either there own marriage or death certificates in Scotland that these are the parents. Also have the death certificates and all the Census records of the parents involved.
I understand it is just the Banns in the early records, but so strange that I cannot find it now on Scotlandspeople and yet I have a copy of the entry that I had written for years ago. That is my problem in that I can no longer find it to get the full reference details. Back when we did postal orders the reference details were not included on the returned official document we got back.
I have also looked at the parish of Lauder but no other entry there. I have found many times only the one entry and yet two different parishes are mentioned.  I have no idea what the 1/2 is or means.
Any help on that also would be great.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 January 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Could I suggest you contact SP direct?  They will be able to examine the register in which the banns appear (they'll still be there even if a marriage didn't take place). http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=551&460

Let us know what happens  :)
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 January 15 12:16 GMT (UK) »
It does seem to imply that the extract comes from the marriage register, however, if it is not to be found there, another possibility is that it is extracted from the minutes of the Kirk Session, from a loose paper or from an accounts book. The "To" at the beginning hints at a payment being made.

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 15 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again. I have sent them a message regarding it via your link and hopefully they will be able to reply and give me an explanation. the document I got is the official document from them, so details must be there somewhere. Do you know a link to the old IGI as I cannot seem to find it. I have a feeling back in the 1990's this was where we got the information from and then sent to Scotland with details for a copy of the transcript. I understand on the IGI there were lots of errors and also submissions but this does not seem like a submission to me or an error (not talking about spellings of names here), so would be interested if you know and any further thoughts you might have. thanks so far. Ailsa

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 January 15 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2. Your information could be on the right track and I know Scotlandspeople have not uploaded the kirk session books as yet. Have heard that they have been scanned already.
So who do I contact in relation to the kirk session books for a confirmation ?
I live in Australia so no way I can visit to view myself. this might explain why I cannot locate on Scotlandspeople for this particular couple, though other entries I have going back to the 1990's are coming up for me to view and download in the clerks handwriting.
thanks

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 January 15 12:46 GMT (UK) »
The link for the old IGI is:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

The reason it's not coming up anywhere as they haven't obviously put these records online yet.

However, I just put in the brides name (being the more unusual) and the entry you are referring to only comes up in 'contributed' entries and not in the indexed entries.

So, your marriage comes up first in the contributed entries and was clearly submitted by a member of the church and was clearly your link to getting hold of the copy you have.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 January 15 12:52 GMT (UK) »
many thank Annette. As I got this entry years ago I cannot remember where I got the details from. So if a contributed entry via the IGI it makes sense but that person must have got the information from somewhere in order for me to also get a copy. Sounds very much like the Kirk Session books need to be looked at for this entry. I think this is solving some of the mystery and thanks for that IGI link as I could not find it on the familysearch site tonight.
I will see what the RGO has to say about the entry, but will let everyone know when I get an answer.
thanks this has been most helpful tonight and so quick.
Ailsa