Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Can't locate marriage Scotlandspeople or familysearch ?  (Read 12622 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot locate this marriage anymore on Scotlandspeople or in familysearch ?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 January 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If it's any consolation, my 3 x great grandparents' proclamation and date of marriage are/were on the film that a cousin hired via FamilySearch in the old days. They have never appeared on SP. The copy that I have is very badly damaged and difficult to read. I have always assumed that that was why it has never appeared there.

Further,  re the problem of indexing the Kirk Sessions. I agree that it would be difficult but even a selective index, as in the  Dumfries and Galloway Historical Indexes, would be a great help.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget
This is also something to think about, but it is not showing on the familysearch site anymore either apart from the old IGI. So I think it is a submission on the IGI but I definitely got the copy well before Scotlandspeople existed with their indexes or ability to download. As my copy is a handwritten one by a clerk, it could well be so damaged and faint that it was never indexed or scanned. I have just received an email back from SP - not very helpful saying they cannot assist with any personal research and if via my SP account in the past then it should be in my account. As it was not obtained this way I cannot locate it on my SP account.
Think I will need to order in the films for that area myself and recheck everything.
Things are starting to sound like 1: if record damaged etc could possible not filmed or indexed. 2: pages been missed while the indexing and filming too place

Thanks to everyone how has offered suggestions and ideas. Tells me I am not going silly in trying to locate this event.
regards Ailsa

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone that has helped me with this problem.
This morning I got a reply from SP which was not very helpful, saying they cannot carry out research and to look back on my SP account to view previous searches etc.
As I have been using SP since 2002, and this entry was obtained well before that date, I cannot go back that far on their site.
It was then suggested that I contact NRS Office directly regarding my query. I have just come home and found an email saying yes the entry is there which is good.
Exceptionally, I have searched our records which are the same as those on our website and immediately found the entry you are referring to.

The marriage year is 1836, the parish number is 785 and the volume is number 0030.  There is only the one entry for that year in Roxburgh, so I am not sure why you could not find it

So I have been back onto SP site and no matter what I key in - No names etc just the date of 1836 - I still get a NIL result. I have tried putting in the GRO Number, but again getting a NIL result.
As I have not used the direct GRO number previously to locate an entry, can anyone advise how to do this correctly.
I have put in 785/000 0030; 785/ 0030 and etc numerous ways to put in with or without the zeros.
I have written back to the person with a screen shot of my results attached.
But can I ask if anyone on the list is able to just do a search to see if anything does come up and if so please tell me how you achieved it, so that I can then do so to obtain a copy of the Banns.

Many thanks
Ailsa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Ailsa

I've just tried using the GRO ref and as instructed on the website:

If you know the GROS data reference for the record which you are looking for, you may enter it here.

For example: 351/00 0879

Please note that you will also have to enter the correct year to ensure that only one record is returned.

Nothing is coming up. I also tried various other ways but again, I couldn't find anything.

I suggest that you could as for them to  investigate why this is or send you a copy. 

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Just checked the OPR lists - Cavers for that year is 785/3

Will try 785/30 0000

added - still nothing  :(

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for doing this Gadget, these are all the things I have tried as well. Even checked that the dates are covered. They say the marriage go from 1820 - 1841 for Cavers - and I even tried up to 1854 with no success. I have even done a selection of dates from 10 - 15 Nov 1836 for Roxburgh, which brings up all entries for those days that are recorded. Again there is no entry during that time period for my certificate. So it is looking like as others have mentioned earlier that perhaps the entry has been missed while indexing/scanning.
I am about to contact Scotlandspeople again with these results to see if they can help solve the mystery. It has been good I have had replies back from both places today that I contacted - so good service that way.
I really appreciate you looking for me as well. Was starting to think I was dreaming or inputting things wrong.

regards Ailsa

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Just had a lovely email from Keith Paxton from Scotlandspeople Centre to say thank you for informing them about the marriage that is missing from the indexes. When the site is next updated (they do it in batches) this marriage will then be available for downloading. He does not know when they will do it next but it will be done and fixed.

So I would just like to say to all that have helped me on the query a Big Thank you and please if anyone else is reading these posts and you find you are in the same situation. Follow it through, check with Edinburgh to see if it is there and then if so get someone else to check the indexes on SP just to make sure you have not missed it, and then notify SP regarding this.

It is a good outcome and I now know they will also investigate if something is not correct.
regards Ailsa

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 February 15 13:36 GMT (UK) »
has anyone mentioned their religion

If you are look for non-conformists before 1855 - they may not appear in the OPR - you may have to look in the church records (Index reference = ch3 at National archive for scotland)  or kirk session records - but also depends on the ministers record keeping & not al records survive.  can involve some digging

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 February 15 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Great you got a result!

Regarding the kirk session registers - for people in Scotland who can visit them, there are various archive repositories which have virtual access to them (Aberdeen and Highland for example). 

If you're not in Scotland, Aberdeen City & Aberdeenshire Archives (www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/archives) carry out paid research for people who can't visit in person and would carry out a search of available kirk session records for anywhere in the country, not just those parishes in the Aberdeenshire area.