Author Topic: Needing information-Thomas Darroch born 1690 Londonderry, Ireland and relatives  (Read 2891 times)

Offline CoventryDarkKnight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi my name is Sarah I have been doing family research on my gggrandmother's side of the family. Upon doing this I have located a Thomas Darroch was born in Londonderry, Derry, Ireland   and a Mary Bradford was born in Ireland I do not know the exact town but they were both born in 1690 and not sure what date but they came over to America because they both died in Bedminster, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA. And I have not been able to locate Mary Bradfords family at all. I have found that Thomas Darroch's father was a Robert Darroch Jr he was born in 1650 in Ireland and his father and mother was a Robert Darroch Sr and a Lucy Brown. I have not been able to find any mention of all the names really except the information I have provided. I just need a point in the right direction and if anyone could help me any information about the Darroch's I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Needing information-Thomas Darroch born 1690 Londonderry, Ireland and relatives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 January 15 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
             Welcome to roots chat. I have looked at some of the earliest records which I have, 1663 Hearth tax rolls and the 1740 Protestant Householder returns, and I cannot find anyone with the spelling DARROCH. I can find some in the county with the spelling DARRAGH but I have no way of knowing if they were related. In your time frame records are extremely scarce for ordinary people.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline CoventryDarkKnight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Needing information-Thomas Darroch born 1690 Londonderry, Ireland and relatives
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 January 15 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
             Welcome to roots chat. I have looked at some of the earliest records which I have, 1663 Hearth tax rolls and the 1740 Protestant Householder returns, and I cannot find anyone with the spelling DARROCH. I can find some in the county with the spelling DARRAGH but I have no way of knowing if they were related. In your time frame records are extremely scarce for ordinary people.

Regards

Thanks. I could have gotten the date wrong or perhaps the last name not really sure tho. I just uncovered their names last night so I am still searching to see if I have the wrong information or if he had a different name over there then he did over here which could be the case.

Offline Diana1950

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 August 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarah. My name is Diana Darrah born in Missouri, USA. Thomas Darrah (Darroch) buried Bedminister Bucks County, Pennsylvania is my grandfather 7th removed (his wife Mariah Bradford) both born in Ireland 1690. It is mentioned that Thomas was from Londonderry County No. Ireland but, not necessarily his birth place? I saw a mention of Glenarm No Ireland somewhere in my son's research. The first born of Thomas & Mariah was Esther Darragh born before 1723 in Londonderry Co.; second born, Robert Bradford Darroch born 1723 Londonderry Co.; third born Henry Bradford Darrah (Darroch) born 1725 in Pennsylvania. Make note of the different spellings of our name. I assume that Thomas & Mariah immigrated to America before 1725.
It seems that you have gotten further than me with the parents of Thomas Darrah. Being Robert Darroch, Jr., his father, born 1650 Ireland. And, his grandparents, Robert Darrah, Sr and mother, Lucy Brown. Where did you find this information?
Actually, I'm trying to link back to Argyll Islands, Scotland (specifically Jura Island) where Darroch is the most prominent name. I believe that this is where our roots lie. I would like to confirm that and possibly get a timeline. Any ideas? I'm a rookie!

Offline Adarrah

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 23 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah. My name is Diana Darrah born in Missouri, USA. Thomas Darrah (Darroch) buried Bedminister Bucks County, Pennsylvania is my grandfather 7th removed (his wife Mariah Bradford) both born in Ireland 1690. It is mentioned that Thomas was from Londonderry County No. Ireland but, not necessarily his birth place? I saw a mention of Glenarm No Ireland somewhere in my son's research. The first born of Thomas & Mariah was Esther Darragh born before 1723 in Londonderry Co.; second born, Robert Bradford Darroch born 1723 Londonderry Co.; third born Henry Bradford Darrah (Darroch) born 1725 in Pennsylvania. Make note of the different spellings of our name. I assume that Thomas & Mariah immigrated to America before 1725.
It seems that you have gotten further than me with the parents of Thomas Darrah. Being Robert Darroch, Jr., his father, born 1650 Ireland. And, his grandparents, Robert Darrah, Sr and mother, Lucy Brown. Where did you find this information?
Actually, I'm trying to link back to Argyll Islands, Scotland (specifically Jura Island) where Darroch is the most prominent name. I believe that this is where our roots lie. I would like to confirm that and possibly get a timeline. Any ideas? I'm a rookie!

Hello Diana. I am Adam Darrah, decendant of Henry's. You are about as far back as I am. In generalities, it is said that the name variations were first found in Scotland in the 1400s. With England being the way they were, the migrated to Ireland. Migrated to the US starting in the 1600s for the same reason. There are a handful of spellings. Ancestry.com, MyHertiage, and FamilySearch have been critical points of research for me. One of them is always having a sale.