Author Topic: Kathleen Mary O'Connor  (Read 2168 times)

Offline IAFC55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kathleen Mary O'Connor
« on: Monday 26 January 15 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on this young girl who died in Edinburgh on 29/05/1917, especially if there was a newspaper report of her death/burial?

Regards

IanC

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kathleen Mary O'Connor
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 January 15 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Nothing in the Scotsman archives.    I presume you have seen this:

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/PP_N/pp_oconnor.htm

Offline IAFC55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 January 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it, but Maria Ahearn is the lady that got in touch with me. I am the chairman of the Dublin WFA and am trying to find out more about Kathleens fathers involvement in WW1 for her. She says that he was in the Royal Scots, but I haven't been able to find anything for him and hoped that if there was an obit for the young girl it might mention his army service.

Regards

Ian

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 January 15 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Obits like the one you are likely looking for are not common in Scotland in that period really...

You have a death date for Kathleen Mary O'Connor. I would think Maria Ahearn has likely viewed the image of the death cert on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk? This is likely to be the most realiable source of information for father Daniel O'Connor.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 15 21:33 GMT (UK) »
A little more here as background http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145679

Also answers what showed on young Kathleen's death registration I think...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 January 15 21:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a Daniel O'Connor showing on the 1915 Scottish Valuation Rolls in Edinburgh. Not sure if the same Daniel. Explanation of the Scottish Valuation Rolls here www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&2080

I know this doesn't help really with his WW1 enlistment and service records though  :-\

I am sure you are aware how many army records (more than 50%) were destroyed by fire due to enemy action in 1940  :'(

Monica

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 20:32 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate has him as a Private in the 2nd Royal Scots.   2nd Battalion (Regular Army) Royal Scots were at Plymouth at the outbreak of war. Moved to France in August 1914 and served on the Western Front throughout the war. Returned to Scotland in 1919.

However the 2nd Garrison Battalion (Mixed) was formed in Leith in August 1916 and a year later it became the 1st Battalion Royal Defence Co.  The year for the business in Fountainbridge, conception and death of Kathleen points to this 2nd Battalion.     Birth  certificate of course is not on-line but sight may give a further clue to father's occupation at that time.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 21:13 GMT (UK) »
From the previous link http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145679, father's occupation seems to be given as photographer and a private in the 2nd Royal Scots.

However, as we know, nothing beats looking at original sources. Baby Kathleen born in 1915 as you refer to  Unė kthimi i papenduar...as you say, not currently available to view until next year with the 100yr privacy rule. Her death cert from 1917 however is  available to view, with a different 50yr privacy rule.

Ian, I think we can assume you have likely viewed these certs?

Monica

Offline IAFC55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks

Thanks for all of the info.

Maria has seen the death cert and was aware of the address in Fountainbridge. She thought it might say 2 Royal Scots on the DC but wasn't sure, the info about the Garrison Battalion is interesting and if he was with them it would confirm my thoughts that he never served abroad, which would explain why I can't find a Medal Index Card for him.

As you say, Monica, the Luftwaffe have a lot to answer for with regards to the soldier records (and other things of course) I understand that something in excess of 80% of the records were destroyed.

Thanks once again.

Regards

IanC