Author Topic: Pembury Hospital  (Read 1531 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pembury Hospital
« on: Monday 26 January 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know which of the buildings depicted in colour in Peter Higginbotham's splendid piece (I'm a great fan) on the Tonbridge workhouse http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Tonbridge/ would have been the maternity unit in 1940/41 (hopefully not the vagrants' unit!).
maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Re: Pembury Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 19:14 GMT (UK) »
My son was born in the "old" Pembury Hospital in 2007, and from the outside it was pretty ancient by then.  (The maternity and nursing care was first class, though!).  I visited a friend in the maternity unit of the new hospital a couple of years ago and it seemed more like a hotel.

Anyway, to answer the question. The Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Health Trust has some pictures of the maternity unit at Pembury in 1938 on its Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.235048149973306.1073741826.116264778518311&type=3

Also, if you're on Facebook, then search for a group called "New Old Tunbridge Wells Photos". It's a closed group, but anyone can join so just send a request.  There's a wealth of photos on there, along with lots of local people with access to collections of local pictures.

BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds