Author Topic: Anyone looking for Thomas G Paterson  (Read 2171 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Anyone looking for Thomas G Paterson
« on: Monday 26 January 15 17:00 GMT (UK) »
...cause I just found one as I was trawling through the PRs in Montreal Quebec  :)

Thomas G Paterson born at Longbedholm Moffat in the county of Dumfries Scotland died at Montreal on 17 March 1874 aged 25 years.

Witness A T Paterson and looks like James Hillisfield

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone looking for Thomas G Paterson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 January 15 20:49 GMT (UK) »
China, because you have been kind enough to post, this looks to be Thomas G Paterson's entry here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY76-HQQ

A supporting reference here www.rootschat.com/links/01emk/ from Google books confirming your death details.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Greenshields, what an interesting middle name!

If someone is looking for Thomas this information kindly supplied by Monica will make a nice addition to their data. It was a bit unusual to find so many details about this fellow in the cert because Protestant ministers, at least in Quebec, had no obligation to supply it. You all too often find an entry that reads like "Thomas Paterson died and was buried by me on [date]" And that's the lot :(

Oddly, Monica, I have Patersons from Dundee and I have Moffat people but they don't intersect.

Very nice link you supplied! I'm off to have a look at it now.

Thanks for your interest  :)
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline willerson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my great great grandfather was Alexander Paterson, married to Betsy Anderson on 12/2/1875. His father was John Paterson married to Catherine Soutar on 20/2/1843. John and Catherine had they following children : Mary born about 1842; William born about 1848; Margaret Paterson born about 1850; Ann Paterson born about 1852; Alexander born about 1854 and Elizabeth born 13/4/1857.
I'd been searching on the WWW when your discussion from 2007 was found suggesting my family may be linked to yours. If you've found otherwise, apologies for bothering you.
On my next visit to the Scotland Register Offices in Edinburgh I will search out the birth certificates for the rest of John Paterson's children.
My great grandfather was William Patterson (it seems that the name variant from Paterson to Patterson was adopted in my family line thereafter), my grandfather was William Patterson, both were born in Dundee.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 15 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello William, I found this after I saw your PM.

Thomas isn't mine, I just found him in the Quebec records and put it up here in case somebody was looking for him in Scotland.

I have spent much time searching for birth certificates of John Paterson's children, and there just aren't any. Except for Elizabeth who was born in 1857 after civil registration was enacted. I haven't even found Alexander, and he should have one but apparently doesn't.

I think the reason the first children have no PR entries either is because there seems to have been a fee for church registration. Even a few pennies may have been too much.

Even civil registration seems to have been spotty for the first couple of years, as Alexander missed out and so did John, apparently, when he died.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull