Author Topic: WilsonTownsend -Huddersfield  (Read 3319 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
WilsonTownsend -Huddersfield
« on: Tuesday 27 January 15 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please look up Wilson Townsend b 1838 (aged circa aged 63) of Huddersfield Yorkshire on the UK 1901 census as to where in Huddersfield he lived.

I'm trying to establish where he would be most  likely buried -he died Jan to March qtr -1911 aged 73
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WilsonTownsend -Huddersfield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wilson was aged 62 in 1901 married to a Mary his occupation was Boror of Machine Iron and was residing at 16, Park Road West, Lockwood, Huddersfield
Census Ref RG13/4109/17/2

:) Are you sure you did not have William as your original request, or are my eyes getting a bit tired!

Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keyboard

Thanks

Sorry about the William -I checked it is Wilson bit, I got mixed up, with another William Townsend. :-[

Your info seems correct for the nearest cemetery- most likely buried Lockwood cemetery Huddersfield.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dob

Lockwood didn't open until 1902 so I would look at Milnsbridge St. Luke's or Lockwood Emmanuel and Edgerton.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 January 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I see you're still looking at the other part of my Entwistle / Townend query.

Until today I've never had a date of death for Wilson Townend, but seeing 1911 mentioned above I've had another search and have found it by searching on "Townsend" instead.  (I understand from my Dad that ancestors were most particular about the correct spelling - no 'S' ;D Just goes to show that you can get blinkered.)

Anyway, my Ancestry membership includes West Yorkshire parish records, so I've now got the burial details: January 5th 1911, St. Luke's Church, Milnsbridge.  Given the records I have for other family members it was always going to be St. Luke's or Lockwood Emmanuel.

Having established that Joseph Entwistle was my coffin-maker I don't really need details of Wilson Townend's gravestone, beyond general curiosity.  In any case, I hear it's snowing in Huddersfield today so please don't go venturing out on my behalf! 

Janey
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 January 15 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janey,

First the census request above was for the 1901 census -  not the 1911 census as this was taken much later in the  (About March 1911) year after Wilson died Jan -1911.

There was a slight warmer period over the last weekend with rain -hence I managed to get to the library & cemetery for Joseph info very easy and had an exact map of the grave location.

Finding Wilson's burial plot in St Luke's churchyard Milnsbridge ! will be a more difficult task as little chance of finding a grave detailed location plot map (there may not be one) and would be a blanket search, that may require many visits. There is also the possibility that Wilson did not have a headstone. With Wilson's death being as late as 1911, I had hoped he would be buried in Lockwood cemetery which like Edgerton has a detailed location plot map. (I had already checked the Edgerton Cemetery records at the library for Wilson  and knew he wasn't buried there)

Thus I will take your advice and terminate my research on Wilson but least you now know where he is  buried with a date of burial.

Regards Dobfarm

:)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 January 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
It's always nice to wrap up loose ends with family history.  I don't like leaving anyone "unfinished" - as in having information about part of their life and then not knowing when/where they died.  Naturally there are quite a few unfinished people in my tree (I've just passed the 1,000 mark in terms of total number of people) so it was very helpful to have the date of death for Wilson Townend and hence find his burial place too.

Most grateful, once again!

Janey
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 January 15 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dob

Lockwood didn't open until 1902 so I would look at Milnsbridge St. Luke's or Lockwood Emmanuel and Edgerton.

John

Hi John

Your info was spot on !! a usual.

Dobby

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 January 15 20:36 GMT (UK) »
We may still find Wilson and more info in the Spring _ I visit Wakefield archives a lot in good weather. (February is a short month, then life starts picking up again and its all down hill to summer  ;D )

St Luke Milnsbridge

Quote from the link below :- grave books and lists 1886-1973

http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D000154&pos=2