Author Topic: Passenger lists back to the UK  (Read 3090 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger lists back to the UK
« on: Tuesday 27 January 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I have brother and sister Joseph and Martha Stonyer arriving in New Zealand in 1863 on the Lancashire Witch. Martha, it seems came back to the UK as I have her on a later census in England, on marriage banns in Chelmarsh (subsequently struck out  :o) and then married in Canada. Joseph disappears totally, however. Could he have possibly travelled back to the UK with Martha? The problem is I can't find any passenger lists for journeys from NZ to England. Do these exist, and if so, where can I access them?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger lists back to the UK
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi mezentia

"UK Incoming Passenger Lists" are available on the Ancestry.com site - but the lists don't start until 1878.

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Have checked New Zealand resources for Joseph STONYER (in case he perhaps married or died here) ... but nothing I'm afraid.

Was he the Joseph STONYER, born Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, 1842 - s/o Richard and Martha ?

~  Lu

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy

Thanks for your help.

There are three lots of Stonyers that emigrated: William and his wife and family, Richard and his wife, and Martha and Joseph. They were all siblings, children of my 3xgt grandfather. I've researched all but Joseph extensively. Richard was drowned in the Ohipi and had no children. All the Stonyers in NZ today are descendants of William. Martha came back before the records on Ancestry start, which is why I wondered if there are other records of people travelling back to England, and since there are no records in NZ for Joseph after he arrived, whether he came back too, or possibly died en-route.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.