Author Topic: Looking for Great Aunt Nellie  (Read 8200 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Great Aunt Nellie
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Here's a very unlikely piece of speculation!   ::)  ???

Hilda married Frank in Narromine in 1925, and the couple are on the electoral register there in 1928 and 1930.  Just a thought -  I wonder if Nellie went to live/stay in Narromine for a while after her arrival in 1924.  The photo looks as though it may have been taken in the early 50s - perhaps they went back for a visit????  Narromine looks to be fairly flat though and this photo has a slight rise in the background.

Hilda and Frank, although both with the surname ADAMS are listed at different addresses in Narromine in 1930.  Frank, dealer, at Dandaloo St, and Hilda (hd) at Merringo St.  (I don't have access earlier to the 1928 entry).  This may be explained by the fact that Dandaloo St seems to be the main road and perhaps that was his business address.  I had a Googlemap walk along Merringo St but couldn't see a setting that would match the photo.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I can see a Miss Sarah PERRINS, aged 40,  as a passenger travelling  to Australia on the SS Ballarat disembarking (as per National Archives of Australia’s online index)  Sydney NSW 28 October, 1924.

From Sands NSW Directories 1925 I can see
George PERRINS, William St, Chatswood
Harry G PERRINS, 172 New South Head Road, Double Bay.
Frank C ADAMS, Skin and hide buyer, Narromine

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

NSW ER 1936 DARLING, polling at Gilgandra

Sarah PERRIN,   Rawsonville, via Dubbo, home duties

(of course this may well NOT be Nellie)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick response as I have to go to a funeral in an hour - shouldn't really be here!

There was a Perrin (no s on end) family in Dubbo - I'm fairly sure they aren't mine.

Yes, I have the passenger list entry; that and the photos made me realise Sarah E (Nellie) went to Australia too.  Her departure address is her brother's home address in Formby (nr Liverpool)

Also can't open the Flikr link, but a stroll round modern Ingham suggests terrain like that in the two ladies photo.

If Nellie was still alive when Hilda died, she may have come back to England (though unlikely and I don't remember any mention of her).  Can the return passenger lists be checked?
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 09:07 GMT (UK) »
The photo of those two ladies   .... well, there's lots in the background that reminds me of Gilgandra, particularly the enclosed verandah on the house which seems to have new iron on the roof.    Without close ups of the ladies faces, it is really not easy to say if they are aged 40 or aged 70, as their dresses are typical of all female adults from my own 1950s childhood in rural NSW.   

Cheers,  JM

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 11:12 GMT (UK) »
A possible marriage  :-\
Dubbo is about 40kms/30mins from Narromine.

Sarah PERRIN m. George DAVIS 15/03/1926 DUBBO #2752
https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

*Edited to add*
Possibly not if this is the above Sarah's birth:
Sarah PERRIN b. 1908 DUBBO #13789   
Parents: John & Sarah

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Merlin; thanks for looking into this.  As I said, I don't think the PERRIN family (no s) at Dubbo is mine.  Only Hilda and Nellie emigrated, all their brothers, sisters and Perrins uncles and aunts are accounted for in England.

Judb; Some years ago, the helpful librarian at Narromine library looked into this for me, she found a good paper trail for Hilda and Frank Adams for me, but no trace of Nellie.  (Marriage, electoral registers, adverts in newspaper) She wrote that Frank had an advert for his shop in Narromine  (Dandaloo St, rented from the Catholic Church) in the newspaper from 1932-34.  This suggests that he and Hilda moved straight from Narromine (1935-ish) to Darlinghurst, Sydney in 1936, then on to Bondi Junction by 1943.

Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 January 15 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Sarah/Nellie just seems to have disappeared!   ::) I thought I'd throw in the Narromine suggestion but you have obviously well and truly explored that.

Another long shot. There is a Nellie PERRINS on the electoral rolls in Victoria from 1950 up to 1980; which, of course, would make her a very old lady indeed.  I only have access up to 1980 so this Nellie may be on later rolls, which would almost certainly eliminate her.  None of the Victorian entries has anyone else of the surname PERRINS listed at the same address and her occupation is consistently 'home duties'.  She could be living with someone else or be a live-in domestic.  Unfortunately it isn't possible to search the rolls by address, only by name.

I cannot see her on the inbound UK shipping lists but these are not very reliable.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 January 15 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Judith, I traced the one in Victoria. She died 31 Mar 1994 & was buried at Box Hill Cemetery 5 Apr 1994:

http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54

http://boxhillcemetery.org/mapguide/BoxHill/Public/search.php