Author Topic: The value of DNA testing  (Read 6453 times)

Offline suemillie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The value of DNA testing
« on: Tuesday 27 January 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I wrote a few months back in the hope that I might find a few clues on my father’s birth and his parents – without going too much into detail again – I have never been able to find anything whatsoever on them as he was an orphan in Palmerston North and simple did not exist anywhere in records and has no birth certificate. 

After more than 25 years of research and finding nothing but brick walls, I was kindly advised to get one of my brothers to do a DNA test.  To date we have been inundated with family trees that so far could be 3rd – 4th cousins of the Gray/Robertson families in New Zealand.  This has been exciting as up to then for all we knew he may not even have been a Gray but just given this name for whatever reason.

Robertson was not a name that I had researched as there was no one of that name that was involved with his upbringing however of course there are hundreds who immigrated from Scotland and Canada to NZ, particularly to Dunedin and the results are so compelling with the Gray/Robertson connection.

The reason I am writing this is to say that if you are contemplating DNA testing – do it. I cannot believe the amount of research that has already been done by families that could provide you with unbelievable ancestry information if you did a test.  The costs may seem prohibitive at first but when you consider the money that can be spent on ordering certificates etc. and finding them to be worthless, and the time spent researching particularly overseas, it is well worth the cost. 

Unfortunately NZ has not participated in DNA testing as much as overseas researchers and so therefore the results are not in the 1st – 2nd cousin grouping but in time we hope that will change.  In the meantime for the first time I have real possibilities of families to research in the hope that although we may be distant cousins, at least we may now have a chance of belonging to someone!

Sue

GRAY/HOSKING/SEWARD/CLARK/CLARKE/ROBERTSON
Gray/Skinner, Hosking, Seward, Clark/e, Robertson, Stewart/Stuart, Wilkie/Richardson

Offline DonL

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Albert Clarence & Rosie Lindale with daughters
    • View Profile
Re: The value of DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 January 15 07:28 GMT (UK) »
I too have had DNA tests done in an effort to trace my Lindale grandfather's origins. While not being able to link to specific names or persons the Family Origins DNA confirmed that my ancestry is 100% European -  being  67% Scandinavian and 33% British Isles and Ireland.

I know I have two great grandmothers born in Ireland and a great grandfather born in England. That is 3/8ths from that part of the world 37.5%. I also know that I have a Norwegian great grandmother and a Swedish great grandfather and there has always been the belief that my Lindale grandfathers's father was from Scandinavia, probably Sweden (or perhaps Denmark) and it also seems to indicate that his mother was also from that part of the world.

Just waiting for some close family matches to help clarify and locate relatives that may lead to actual named ancestors.

DonL
04/12/1938 - Jan 16th 2021
Lindale/Lindhal/Lindahl - Scandanavia - Denmark- Sweden
Olsen ,Christiansen - Norway
Bergstrom, Lamberg, Pasche- Sweden
Crundwell,Myers,Wilson -UK
Byrne,Miskelly,McGrevy,McGreavy, McGreevy -Ireland
Swanson, Newman
Chrestenson,Whitmore
St Romain//de St Romain,Nozace-Reunion
de Silva -Argentina, The Philippines

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 March 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
I am from NZ but because I have a couple of brick walls I too engaged in DNA testing.  Now I have been able to rule in a couple of names, and rule out some other research I was doing.
It is a very useful tool and you will be pleased to know there is a growing group of NZ converts.  You will find one on Facebook.

kind regards
Kerry Driscoll
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline HALE39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I understand that at the moment if you are in Australia you may have to supply your insurance company's with a copy of the results also, can any body verify this?

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 March 15 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I wrote a few months back in the hope that I might find a few clues on my father’s birth and his parents – without going too much into detail again ...........(EDITED)..............

Hello Sue.

If you would like to tie in your previous research threads, to this thread, it is a simple procedure. Either you can do it, or you can PM [private message] Moderator "SPADES" and he can attach a link to other threads of your research, which you nominate.

Because of the time limit on alterations, you would only be able to do it by adding a new reply to this thread, while I think SPADES should be able to attach such, to the leading post on this thread.

Regards,

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 15 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I understand that at the moment if you are in Australia you may have to supply your insurance company's with a copy of the results also, can any body verify this?

The joys of insurance policy fine print, what a can of worms this could open up, if it became industry practice. Needs looking into, as it raises a mine field of ethical issues.

Presumably required on the basis of accessing known predisposition to health risks.

Secrets taken to the grave, no longer resting in peace.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 15 22:45 GMT (UK) »

I found this on the AusGov website

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/health-topics/genetics-and-human-health/ethical-legal-and-social-issues/genetic-discrimination

Just a quick précis

It doesn't arise if it is for Health Insurance BUT it can be used to ''assess'' risk for Life Insurance etc

I will copy this one line directly from the site for clarification and certainty.

In Australia, the life insurance industry has agreed that it will not require people to have DNA tests before taking out life insurance. However, if individuals have had DNA tests, they must report the results in their life insurance application
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 05:05 GMT (UK) »
When the elderly parent of my friend died, at the end of the meeting with the funeral director she was asked by him, in very offhand manner, an " oh by the way, do you want a DNA test done for your mother? There will be an extra cost of course!" This was her first ever experience in dealing with a family death, as if that wasn't bad enough, without having that dumped on her just as she was leaving!

My friend of course, was very upset about his remark, said she thought it very offensive and insensitive at that particular venue and time!  She told him what he could with his DNA test in no uncertain terms, and left!

If it is offered as part of a funeral director's services, (and I don't agree that it should be) surely it should be offered in a more sensitive way? Such as just when initially going thru the procedure with the family, he could simply have included it in the usual list of the various options available which they normally tick the way thru very quickly! They certainly shouldn't have been pushy! It's a difficult enough time already!

This was not just a junior assistant, but one of the Owners, who was going to be present at the funeral itself!  It was hardly a surprise to see his partner in his stead at the Funeral!

I actually meant to reply in the vein that I don't think Insurance companies should have the right to even ask for DNA, no matter what the reason.  It's just another ploy to save money on possible pre existing conditions and hiking up the premiums for them! 

Rant over
Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 05:08 GMT (UK) »

No you don't. What are you going to tell them? I am R-M269?  ;D