Author Topic: Forbes Family of Millers - Little Lochbroom  (Read 11444 times)

Offline Maryburgh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Forbes Family of Millers - Little Lochbroom
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello, just to say that no trace of the mill is to be seen at Ardessie as it had a great flood about 40 or so years ago and again last August, the burn at Ardessie has changed shape but the waterfall is still spectacular. You can see lots of old photos on face book Little Lochbroom page.

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know about the Ardessie Mill and alerting me to the facebook Litlle Lochbroom page. Could you direct me to the "old photos" to which you refer - not sure where they are. Thanks.

Grant

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I think Ardessie means the high waterfall?

Skoosh.

Offline Maryburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello, you just have to go through the time line of posts to see the old photographs and you would also see the present Ardessie just post of the flooding in August 2014. If you can't find any just send a member request and I would tag you to the photo if you can't find any.
Yes 'Ard' means high ground/area Skoosh.

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 February 15 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Great old and recent photos of Loch Broom area. Must have been a horrible flood last August. Couldn't find the photos at first because I was searching " Little Loch Broom". Thanks for informing me about photos of Ardessie!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
The November issue of the Highland Family History Society journal has an article on Gairloch, Wester Ross by Kathy Elam,  "The Mill at Strath" & it's Forbes family of millers & their origin.

www.highlandfamilyhistorysociety.org

Skoosh.

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 December 15 05:47 GMT (UK) »
The Forbes millers that I'm investigating lived in the 1800s, about a century after the events to which you refer. However, perhaps previous generations of Forbes were millers too. A George Forbes, born around 1808 in Kilmorack or Beauly - places that are near the Lovat Estates (so I have learned) - was my gg-grandfather. By the time of the 1841 census he had relocated to run a mill at Ardessie, near Little Loch Broom. Milling was indeed a family business, since his brother, Robert ran a mill at Second Coast in the parish of Gairloch.

Hiya Grant,

I have a webpage focused on Coigach, the north-west third of Lochbroom Parish. On the page are annotated transcriptions of the 19th century censuses, weak for the south-east part which after 1857 was administered for Civil Registration separate from the rest of the Barony. Have recently been adding bits for that neglected area, which includes Ullapool, largest town in the Parish.

I see a Robert Forbes, miller, there in 1841, and a James Forbes, miller with sister Isabel, in 1851, I think were Roberts' son and daughter. Also with Robert in 1841 were young MacKay children, and newspaper articles refer to the disgraceful eviction in the late 19th century of a Widow MacKay, noting her family had been millers there for generations.

Is that Robert Forbes the same one who you note as having a mill at Second Coast? See;
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach/ullapool.htm#41-29
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach/ullapool.htm#51-162

All the best from Niagara,

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 May 18 01:17 BST (UK) »
Only 3 years late replying to your question...duh. Sorry for the delay. My ancestry pursuits have gone in other directions, Yes, a  Robert Forbes was the Miller at Second Coast.

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 July 20 15:47 BST (UK) »
Only 3 years late replying to your question...duh. Sorry for the delay. My ancestry pursuits have gone in other directions, Yes, a  Robert Forbes was the Miller at Second Coast.

Hi Don_Niagara,
Was re-reading the info you posted  on the millers of Ullapool and area - what a treasure trove of ancestral detail! I’m writing an ancestral blog that may in part be of interest to readers:

ourfthistory@blogspot.com
Cheers,

Grant