Author Topic: RN WW2 records query - D.S.M.  (Read 6520 times)

Offline 2twigs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RN WW2 records query - D.S.M.
« on: Wednesday 28 January 15 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I'm posting in the hope that someone can provide some advice regarding researching my Grandads WW2 Royal Navy Service. This is particularly in regard to one query.

Background;
I have obtained a copy of his medal record card and his service history. I also have details regarding a mention in dispatches 04/05/43. I also have a scan of an original 'fabric' service document.
There is little family information available other than a memory of 'one, possibly two bars on the medals and two mentions in dispatches', although this information is vague. I understand the memory of the medal bar could relate to the leaf connected to the mention in Dispatches.

Query;
On the fabric document is written what looks like "Awarded D.S.M  L Gazette" (see attachment). This is not noted on any other document I have. To date I have found no further details or records relating to this. Does anyone know how I may be able to find out further information?

I'm quite prepared to visit the National Archives but I'm not sure what record/s to look in once I get there.
Any help and ideas much appreciated.  :)

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: RN WW2 records query - D.S.M.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 January 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
If you provide a name we can have a look for him in the London Gazette. His number would be helpful too.

Offline 2twigs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 15 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Thank you for your reply and offer :) very much appreciated.

The record I'm seeking is for Thomas Harper C / SSX / 26972. From what I can gather he was on combined-ops for some time via Landing Craft Assault and served from 1938 to 1945. 

The mention in Despatches that I have already located is not related to a DSM. This is the only record I can find when searching the L Gazette website (4th May 1943 - page 2006/07) " for bravery, endurance and devotion to duty in North African waters - Mention in Despatches"

I've now looked through ADM 171/164 on the National Archives record but I couldn't seem to see his name or number. It could be staring me in the face somewhere, argh.

Thanks again  :) 

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 15 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I have given a heads up to poster Hmac. regarding this post. If anyone can help you he's the man.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 15 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I've now looked through ADM 171/164 on the National Archives record but I couldn't seem to see his name or number. It could be staring me in the face somewhere, argh.

Hello,
Did you visit Kew to look at ADM 171/64. You will not see anything from the Discovery Catalogue search engine online.

Honours and Awards is a big subject and you will find papers dispersed in various ADM files at Kew - namely ADM 1.

There only appears to be his Mention in Despatches gazetted I cannot find his DSM, that said, The London Gazette has a very poor search engine. I would suggest you check ADM 1 and ADM 171/64 from TNA or get hold of 'SEEDIE'S Roll of Naval Honours and Awards, 1939-1959'. The book is expensive and rare to find but may be available at larger libraries. You could also try 'The Distinguished Service Medal 1939-1946' by  W.H Fevyer.

Regrds
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 February 15 15:44 GMT (UK) »
There is no T Harper listed in The Distinguished Service Medal 1939-1946 by W.H Fevyer

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 February 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »

'SEEDIE'S Roll of Naval Honours and Awards, 1939-1959'. The book is expensive and rare to find but may be available at larger libraries.

Enter your post code for the nearest library
http://www.worldcat.org/title/seedies-roll-of-naval-honours-awards-1939-1959/oclc/41503840?referer=br&ht=edition
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I know Drew - very expensive  :'(. Seedie's is the bible for maritime wartime awards but, that said, like any piece of written work, there are mistakes and omissions. I have the MN version which I picked up by chance on eBay for a lot, lot less than that.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO