Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Lookup for MI in St Boswells, Maxton and Lilliesleaf.  (Read 4961 times)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoping someone can lookup the MI inscriptions regarding Wintrup/Wintrop etc please.
I have Robert Wintrup who married Douglas Hall in 1804 in the parish of Ancrum.
The children up to 1827 are baptised in Lilliesleaf
1841 Census Robert Wintrup with his youngest child Robert are at Maxton - they are Ag Lab
1851 & 1861 Census Robert is at Lessudden St Boswells, Ag Lab and retired Shepherd and as Widower.
Robert died in Lessudden St Boswells in 1869.
I have all the above certificates
I am looking to find Douglas his wife and find when she might have died. Also looking to see where Robert might have been buried as also found a newspaper articles telling of his death.
The Borders FHS shows as a surname, there are 3 Wintrup in St Boswells, 1 in Maxton. For HALL there are 9 in St Boswells and 1 in Maxton.
I do not know if the Lilliesleaf MI's have yet been published

Appreciate any information regarding this family. Thank you in advance.
Ailsa

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for MI in St Boswells, Maxton and Lilliesleaf for Wintrup surname
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 15 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Lilliesleaf Mis
136   (Obelisk)  ROBERT  WINTRUP  died St Boswells 18th January 1869 aged 91yrs , DOUGLAS  HALL , wife died Maxton 16th September 1838 aged 51yrs  children------ EUPHEMIA , BETSY,  4 named  ADAM  , 2 named  THOMAS.
131   (Fragment lying behind 130)  JOHN  WINTRUP, late tenant in Riddell died 18th February 1737 aged 73yrs also  AG----     ter  wife died------1737   -3yrs.   

Lilliesleaf Mis were done by William Windrum about 1963 (pre 1855) and printed copies are available from Selkirk Antiquarians.
 BFHS have subsequently done it about 2013 but still have not produced a CD.
hope this helps
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Further to above reply there are several entries for Winterup in Jedburgh abbey cdmetery. This is one of the entries
198 Thomas Winterup m…. Jedburgh d 25.3. ….5 aged 59, w Janet Borthwick d 24.9.1799  79 John Winterup march(ant) Jedburgh d (22).12 –(4-) , Isabella Short..ee..d d –1804 aged - , Isabella Ormiston (w) of Thomas (Winterup) d 18(6)2. (flaked odd letters follow

Reverse: George, builder , late of Sydney N.S.W. s of Thomas Winterup d.21.5.1847  49, Thomas late of Sydney N.S.W. and son of the said Thomas d 17.3.1849  53 Christina Winterup d 20.4.1850  57.

It may be worth looking at the other entries.
alan

turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 15 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Alan
Many thanks for this, this is the family I have been researching lately. It is the Lilliesleaf ones that I did not know if anyone had access to. I have also been looking into that family that went to Sydney as I could not find a few and the Wintrup name was popping up when doing searches.
I think I need to contact the Selkirk Antiquarians re getting printed copies for my files. At least I know where they are now.
Thank you so much as I have been trying to find this information for a little while.
Greatly appreciated.
Ailsa

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 February 15 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Alan, sorry I had to go out today not long after I got your message. I forgot to say that Robert Wintrup and Douglas Hall are my 4th Great Grandparents. Via. Daughter Euphemia Wintrup who married James Miller, Their daughter Helen Miller married William Elliot. They immigrated to NZ in 1862. Helen Miller recorded in a Birthday book which she gave to her daughter Isabella Davidson Elliot who became SCOTT all the birthdays etc of the Nichol, Wintrup, and Miller family. I being her Great Granddaughter hold this most precious book, as it was given to my via my Grandmother, me being the eldest of her grandchildren. ( I like to think my Grandmother knew I would be interested in the family history as she passed so much on to me, including some stories, but unfortunately she died too young when I was around 11yrs old, but I still remember most of them and have all the bits and pieces she gave to me - thank you Nan! )
So today finding out just where Robert and Douglas are buried has been a major milestone for me, so thank you so much for this bit of information. Now I need to see if I can obtain a copy of the headstone from someone local to send to me in digital format. I have been compiling my family history for that last 25yrs, and today has really been so great to know just where they are buried. Unless I win the lotto I do not have a chance to visit Scotland myself to see their grave site and pay my respects, but just knowing has been so great. So Alan and all that have transcribed MI's for the Roxburgh region I would like to say thank you for all the work you have done over the years to help someone like myself who now lives in Australia but born in NZ to find my roots, and obtain the information I wanted.

thank you to all, regards Ailsa

Offline elliot1775

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed with thanks*)Lookup for MI in St Boswells, Maxton and Lilliesleaf.
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 November 17 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
   I see the Lilliesleaf MI is still not available for sale.  I see from a list on the HUB site that perhaps some of my Elliots of Clerklands may be at that cemetery.  Also, the lair list mentions the "Firth Aisle."  I am very interested to see if Isobel (Elliot) Turnbull is included in those entries as she was married to Walter Turnbull of Firth in 1738, but died soon thereafter.  A birthdate for her would go a long way in helping me where I'm stuck, determining the parents of her and her brother Walter Elliot of Ormiston.  Could you possibly be of any assistance?
   Thanks!
David Elliott, Michigan 

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed with thanks*)Lookup for MI in St Boswells, Maxton and Lilliesleaf.
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 June 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
Alan if you see this would be good to get in touch Walter and his second wife Dorothea Chisholm were my 6xgreat grandparents
Cheers Colin