Author Topic: Allman, Almond, Hallmond or similar.  (Read 13448 times)

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Allman, Almond, Hallmond or similar.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 January 15 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't resist having a look. I've got some of that info. but as it doesn't yet seem to connect with mine I've kinda left it to one side. I notice from my info. that William who died in 1801 left a Will!

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 January 15 15:32 GMT (UK) »
William's Will is very useful indeed.
I note you say William's F is John. Is this the John who married Sarah Williamson?
T

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 January 15 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes I've got William's will.
And yes, William's parents were John and Sarah Williamson married 1720 Prestbury. Her father was William Williamson, who died 27 April 1734 Siddington, also a button mould turner. Also left a will.
No record of a christening for William Almon , but there is one for brothers Joseph 1725, John 1723, and sister Sarah 1727 Siddington/Capesthorne.
Also a VERY interesting settlement order for Thomas Almon (William's son), wife Esther and children William, Jesse, Mary and John in 1774, which gives some background to the family.

Still don't know where John Almon hailed from though, to marry in Prestbury in 1720. Any ideas?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 January 15 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes I've got those 3 baptisms.
How do you know John is William's father?
Have you found William's marriage to Margaret?
In the front of the Siddington Register it mentions that children were baptised there before the register started. If William was 1st born, he may simply be not recorded.
Do you have John and Sarah's death dates? If I can get a fix on the age/dob it might help to locate any possibilities.
Tony

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 February 15 03:52 GMT (UK) »
I have only just been able to prove that William’s father was John Almon, and his mother Sarah after 30 years of looking! It has taken a lot of digging, and it has only come to light as more and more things get put on the internet – not possible for me to go to Chester RO and rummage through all their documents – as much as I would like to!

Here goes trying to explain it.

The will of William Williamson of Siddington, mould turner, was written initially in 1734, and mentions ‘my daughter Sarah Alman’
This is the Sarah married to John Alman 1720 Prestbury - we know she was  Sarah Williamson.
She has a brother Joseph Williamson mentioned in the will (only son). (Another of John Almon and Sarah’s children christened Joseph).
He died in 1737, and there is a codicil to William Williamson’s will dated 1739, saying that his (William’s) wife Martha is now the sole surviving executor of the will.
Joseph was married 17.1.1731 to Margaret Gallymore.

The rest is explained in the settlement certificate for William’s son Thomas.
If you’d like to send me your email address on a Personal Message here on Rootschat, I can send it to you. It takes some reading to get your head around!  – at least it did with me until I found William Williamson’s will as well, then it fell into place.

I can’t find any Almon (+ alternatives) wills or bmd entries around this area prior to the marriage of John and Sarah in 1720. There seem to be lots in Chester itself – maybe they migrated west a bit.
There is an interesting item under Chester Quarter Sessions Nov 30th 1715, where John Meredith is accused of killing John Almond, labourer, by walloping him over the head with the hilt of his sword! All good stuff!

Not got any deaths for John and Sarah in my files – but then as I said, I have only just (literally this week!), confirmed they were William’s parents. I shall have to have another trawl though.

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 February 15 15:49 GMT (UK) »
At least you're on a solid footing with your Wills etc.

There are a LOT of Allmans in Chester, Liverpool and Manchester, not to mention Cheshire and Shropshire; mustn't forget about Yorkshire either. So it could be a long haul! I am currently working on Chester Almonds and slowly building up families but I do end up with a lot of 'strays'.

William Almon's daughter Margaret marries a Gallimore doesn't she.

Do any of your Almonds go anywhere else?
Do any of your Almonds or descendants have any connection with 'Thorneycroft Hall' in the 19th century?

Tony

I don't know if you've considered ORMOND as an alternative spelling? There are several born to a John around 1770 for example, these may be John and Susannah's children.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I've sent you the settlement dispute to your email.
Very interesting.

Not found that my Allman's really venture very far from this area of Cheshire.
To Cheadle briefly, but then back to Alderley.
Not found any of them at Thorneycroft Hall.

Yes, Thomas' sister Margaret married William Gallimore in 1783 -
has to be connected to the same family somewhere.
I think the father of the 'wife' of William Allman, Margaret GAllimore , was a William Gallimore.
Quite a lot of them around the area.
I have looked at a couple of Gallimore wills, but not found a connection yet.
I have found a marriage of a William Gallimore from Lower Withington in 1665 - possibly MArgaret's grandfather.

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you got any further details on the Chester Quarter Sessions Nov 30th 1715 that you mentioned?
I can match it to one of ‘my’ Johns.

I have in my Spreadsheet the following marriage:
William ALLMAN of LOWER WITHINGTON
Sarah NORBURY
BOTP
29 Dec 1790
Place of Marriage:
Holy Trinity, Chester

Looking at Joseph WILLIAMSON, the only match is one BAP in Goostrey BAP 14 Mar 1702.
Couldn't find a Baptism for Sarah.

Tony

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 23:59 GMT (UK) »
The ref in the quarter sessions at Chester is ZQC1/19/3 – coroners inquests.
He was killed ‘at the house of Edward Oulton, brewer, without the Northgate’ – perhaps they had all drunk too much!
I haven’t sent for the actual document – but Chester RO are very helpful – and they will send as a colour scan by email of the document as you saw in the settlement dispute – almost like the real thing! Not expensive.
http://archive.cheshire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=ZQ%2fCI%2f19%2f3&pos=4

I wonder if the William Allman who married in 1790 was the son of Thomas of the settlement order, son of William died 1801 the button mould turner? The grandson William was born 1768, so that would fit with a marriage of 1790. Interesting they were married in Chester – perhaps the family did have some connection with the Chester Allmans.