Author Topic: Allman, Almond, Hallmond or similar.  (Read 13428 times)

Offline sunny50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Allman, Almond, Hallmond or similar.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 May 15 22:30 BST (UK) »
Good morning  Antonden  Thank you for your speedy reply, I wasn't sure I would hear from anyone :)
My Gt grand father was named Frederick Charles, some times Charles Alfred or Frederick Alfred. I think it depended on things which name he used lol
He supposedly was born,c 1861 at Woods Point, Victoria, Australia.
We don't know when he arrived on the West Coast at Jackson's Bay, he was one of 2 boys saved from a sinkinng vessel as it came into Jacksons Bay. I found a news print in Past Pages where he was trying to contact his sister that he hadn't seen for 10 yrs. later as an adult.I found him on an elect. roll in Hokitika, West Coast in 1890. He married in 1889 at Jackson's Bay to Mary Callery, nee Leeney, a widow who had been married in Lyttleton, Christchurch to John Callery, they had a number of children. Mary was born in Ballymacelligott, County Kerry, Ireland c 1855-1857. she being the daughter of Phillip & Katherine Leeney, they all immigrated to NZ but not together, they lived in Waimate, Otago, NZ. the then Hallmond family moved to the North Island finding work. They moved frequently as was the nrm chasing work in those days, however we are amazed how many times they did move an the distances, given there werent any roads then. they went on to have 8 more children, one being my grand father William Alfred Leonard Hallmond who married my Nanny Alice Le Noel of Hukutere, Northland, NZ One of frederick & Mary's sons was killed in WW1, by this time the Hallmond family were up in Dargaville, Northland. Mary died in 1931 in Dargaville and Frederick died in Auckland 1934.
I hope this is helpful.  I have found Hallmonds in Britain, but havent been able to tie them up with Frederick

Regards
Sunny

PS I had the wrong name for the woman Frederick was supposed to have come out to NZ with her name was Mrs Bramston.

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 May 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunny,
A tough one. To have any chance of making a link to UK family you would need to know more about your GGF and his parents.
Have you tried/is it possible, to obtain a birth certificate for him?
Similarly have you got his death certificate?
Broad accent - any idea what 'sort'?
What was his sister's name?
Where was he looking for her, NZ or Oz?
Do you know the names of his parents?
What happened to his parents?
Have you searched NZ newspaper reports for the sinking?
Lots of questions.
Tony

Offline sunny50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 May 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Morning Tony, thanks for your reply,  yes its a hard one alright! We have very little information about great grand father, an actually not at all sure if what he had said was even true! Think he was given to telling porkys now an then :)
We know absolutely  nothing about his parents, an that's what makes it so difficult, all we know is that he came here on a ship... no name for that either, with a Mrs Bramston from Victoria Australia, I have searched for the place he was supposed to come from but couldn't find anything there, an for Mrs Bramston which there were in Victoria an if my memory serves me well, I thing Bramston was a minister of government or something similar, but cant find if a Mrs Bramston died in NZ. As to accent well we are just surmising that maybe his accent was broad an his name was actually Almond but was taken to be Hallmond, I have found a lot of Almonds in Australia.
His sisters name, no idea he didnt mention a name in the paper, it was in past pages, so I dont know if that paper was sent to Australia or just NZ, it was a NZ newspaper.  My living Aunt never met him so she didnt know if he had an accent or not. Both grand father an great grand fathers are buried in the Waikumete Cemetary in Auckland, I cant get there as I live in the South Island. However I did find on the internet grand fathers grave, bu not great grand fathers. I dont have a deathe certificate for either.  No idea what happened to GGF parents either, its all very up there with very little information to go by.  My other GGF we have the same problem with he was supposed have been born in Ruone France but cant find a thing on him either. Mind you its not surprising really given NZ was a new country an a lot of the people that came here were either prisoner's  or hiding from something lol. Later came immigrants but they to were very poor people.
Yes I have scanned numerous papers for the sinking however if you could see the number that sank coming into the West Coast you would blown away, hundreds of people drowned when boats sank, the West Coast is notorious for sand bars, an often the captains would take the risk an try to get over them when it was to rough, resulting in the boats sinking, there are hundreds of ships that sunk in various places all along the West Coast of both islands. I haven't looked for any recently one gets eye strain reading to many at a time an quite often there were no passenger lists, they would just have a number of how many on board the ships.
So not very helpful at all really Im sorry, but I tend to think this Mrs Bramston might hold the key, I have searched everywhere for her, there was a Mrs Bramston whose husband was a captain of a ship, but couldn't tie anything together with that either. We don't know how old GGF was when he came here so don't have an accurate age for him either.
Your not wrong my GGF poses heaps of questions! :) One day I hope to crack it :)
So sorry cant give you much to go by, not sure what would be written on GGF grave either, as my Nanny & grandfather separated an she was left with 10 kids to raise on her own an work on her farm, so we didn't know a lot about him apart from the fact he was a scoundrel! I found out most of what I know of him through research, he made head lines on occasions! He was never spoken about in the family.
I will keep looking for GGF grave, because I know its in Waikumete, but for some reason I havent been able to locate it!
Sorry I cant give you more answers, an I know it makes it almost impossible to find him, but I live in hope lol
Many thanks Tony  I will keep in contact if I find any more an if I can find the grave.
Regards
Sunny

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I did notice yesterday that a Frederick Charles Bramston was born and died around the time of your Freddie's birth. Coincidence?
Incidentally, how do you know her name was Mrs Bramston?

The point about birth and death certificates (at least over here) is that they often contain other information, such as: addresses, parents and occupations on a birth certificate; and the address and who reported the death on a death cert.

If possible I would definitely buy them.

T

Offline sunny50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there Tony, gosh are you up late over there? :)
mm that's interesting! It could well be, I will take a look into it later today an see what I can find
Im not sure if there is a birth certificate for GGF but will check, I would think it may be either in England or Australia. However I cant find him in Australia there are Hallmonds there but they are descendants of some of his children.  I will also check to see if there is a death certificate as well, I know my Aunt doesn't have one though an she has done heaps on the family so I'm thinking it may not be available.
Yes the certificates here do have extra information on them as well, I have just received a print out of my x3 great grand parents marriage certificate an discovered she was a chieftainess (She was full blood Maori) I knew her father was a great Ariki (chief) but hadn't realized she took over when he died, that was when I realized she was an only child as if there was a male he would have taken the title of Ariki. So yes your right some interesting info on the papers especially from the old days, not quite as much now though. I will try an get a death cert for GGF may be hard to obtain given the lack of info we have but I will give it a shot!
Hey thanks for your help Tony, very much appreciated
Sunny

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 May 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
Ok post anything here.

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 29 May 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Sunny,

I wonder if the story about the shipwreck is a false one.
I contacted NZ History people and their reply is as follows:

'A Jackson's Bay shipwreck didn't  ring any bells, but I have searched the 1990 and 2007 editions of the classic New Zealand Shipwrecks, first published in 1936. The book has to be read with some caution, since it covers (for the main part) only total wrecks - i.e. in which the ship was lost, and accumulated some minor infelicities over its many editions. However, despite it having place entries for long defunct ports, there's none for JB. A search of the left-over West Coast South Island ports failed to produce any reference to anything relevant.

It's possible that a detailed search of the West Coast newspapers on the National Library's Papers Past (http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz )
may uncover some strandings or minor wrecks, but I don't think that many lives were lost at JB.'

Offline sunny50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 08:37 BST (UK) »
Tony  sorry haven't been back for a few days.  I have just received the great grand parents marriage certificate. It says Frederick was born Woods Point, Victoria Australia. Also on it has his Mother as Louisa, Cannot read the maiden name unfortunately. Did not have a christian name for his father just - Hallmond.
I tend to agree with you re the sinking ship, I could not find any sunk ship in Jacksons Bay either. Mrs Bramston was the lady Frederick mentioned in the letter in the newspaper, as the lady who adopted him an brought him to NZ. He said he was looking for his sister he had not seen for 10 yrs, but there was no name . Of interest he & great gran named one of their daughters Louise!  Still to get death certificate an check the past pages again.  Will keep you posted :)

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
OK look forward to any more info.