Author Topic: Reardon's - Mystery man!  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Doll_parts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reardon's - Mystery man!
« on: Thursday 29 January 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for any information on Patrick Reardon / O'roidan, he was born in Ireland around 1835 ish.
He married Ann Reid in 1858 in England, and had 3 children with her, Ellen Reardon 1860, Patrick E Reardon 1863, and Caroline J reardon 1866.
After appearing on a 1861 Census with Ann and Ellen, he seems to disappear, he's not on any other Census records that I have for Ann and the kids, and they all state that she is married, not widowed. His occupation on the 1861 census is "Writer".
I think Patrick came from Cork in Ireland, according to his and Ann's marriage cert, his father was also called Patrick Reardon. His wife Ann was born and died in London, England. She was a Dressmaker.
So i am trying to find out where Patrick went, he obviously came back to the family every so often to have 2 more children with Ann. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Melanie
Davies - Glamorganshire, Wales & Bexleyheath, London
Stoakes/Stokes - Kent,
Norris - Cambridgeshire
Dyson - Kent
Maurice - Wales
Smith - Southampton, Hampshire / Newcastle / Durham
Bontems - Belgium / Southampton / Durham / Newcastle

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reardon's - Mystery man!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 January 15 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Melaney, Having learnt the hard way about known used variants spellings being found later,  I delayed my first reaction because one of your spellings O'Roidan was one I had not encountered, so I looked up the http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor for Reardon. It starts simply with those found in Griffiths primary valuation more later ie
O'Reardon 7. O'Riordan 21, Reardan 3, Rearden 2. Reardon 444, Reordan 3
Rierdon 5, Riordan 1107, Riordon 20. This is then followed by a much larger list of other spellings and their sources.

So I went back to the 1861 English Census, the entries are made by an enumerator which puts the spelling out of the family name at risk.  the version I looked up has his occupation as Waiter rather than Writer but when I looked up the original I can read it as either. Their address as Lucas Street. Parish   Rotherhithe Ecclesiastical District   Christchurch London, Surrey.  I noted Ellen eldest born Bermondsey. 
{ Table 2: Boundary Changes affecting Bermondsey Registration Description of Change
Population transferred  1.1.1870 (abolished) (a)Lost the parish of Bermondsey to St. Olave Southwark registration district. 41659 in 1861. You have found them on other census I didn’t,

Some 40 years later there is a Patrick Riordan Birth Year 1833 Age 68 Birth Place Ireland Boarder Labourer In Iron Works  Single living in Manor Road Erith County Kent Ecclesiastical District Christ Church Source 1901 English Census

So next I extracted the 21 Patrick Reardon named as householders in Co Cork in 1850-1855 in Ireland in Griffiths Valuation in Ireland.see http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php or www.askabout ireland.com to see if any clues
Surname First Name civil Parish townland
Reardon Patrick Ardagh Breeda
Reardon Patrick Ardnageehy Glenville
Reardon Patrick Ballymodan Clancool Road,Cloghmacsimon
Reardon Patrick Ballymoney Ballynacarriga
Reardon Patrick Ballymoney Garranure
Reardon Patrick Ballymoney Kilcaskan
Reardon Patrick Caherlag Vill of New Glanmire,Lackenroe
Reardon Patrick Clonfert Knockilly
Reardon Patrick Clonmel Ballynacrusha
Reardon Patrick Fanlobbus Castle St,Dunmaway
Reardon Patrick Grenagh Glancam
Reardon Patrick Kilbrogan Gurteen
Reardon Patrick Lisgoold Lisgoold North
Reardon Patrick Little Island Courtstown
Reardon Patrick Magourney Madrid Coachford Village
Reardon Patrick St. Annes Shandon Goulding's Lane
Reardon Patrick St. Annes Shandon Old Youghal Road
Reardon Patrick St. Finbars Pickett's Lane
Reardon Patrick St. Marys Shandon Conway's Lane Cork
Reardon Patrick Templerobin East-Ferry Rd,Queenstown,(Carrignafoy)
Reardon Patrick Whitechurch Monard

If this could be reduced to one or two there is a chance but I think it is just too many. So although I set out to try to help you I didnt get anywhere. You have done well getting as far as trying to identify this MysteryMan
 Hoping others can build you links
JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Doll_parts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 January 15 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim! That's a bit further than what I got!
The list of Patrick Reardon's will be most helpful if I can possibly get a area to where he lived or came from.
I did find a record for a Patrick Reardon working/living in a workhouse asylum in Scotland. I can't really think of any other reasons for him to leave his family in London, other than he's got another family some where, or he's away working.

He married a Ann Reid on 20th Dec 1858 in St Peter, Walworth.
On the marriage record it said they both lived at 49 Royal Road, Walworth, Surrey.
Patrick's occupation on there is "Dock Clerk".
His father is also called Patrick Reardon, also a "Clerk"
Her father is Robert Reid, "Victualler" and deceased.

The only death records I could find, were 2 which nearly matched.

1 - Patrick Reardon - died 1902 in Poplar, London. Would make in born in 1832.

2 - Patrick Reardon - died 1909 in Greenwich, London. Would make him born in 1836.

I also found a baptism record for a Patrick Riordan on 19th May 1836 in Boherbue, County Cork.

Ann Reid died in 1890/1891 in St Olave, Southwark, London.

- I really dont know where to go from here. I can't work out which records are him or not. Any help on which direction to go would be great
Stoakes/Stokes - Kent,
Norris - Cambridgeshire
Dyson - Kent
Maurice - Wales

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 January 15 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I have looked on roots Ireland for Patrick Reardon born between 1832 and 1836 in cork. There are 28, using various spellings. There are 6 with a father of the same name, so you could try these. However I think you would need a place name to narrow it down, how would you know which was the one you wanted.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 January 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Keep in mind that many Irish baptismal records from that period simply do not exist and of those that do not all are only so unless you have more confirming details there's no way of knowing if you've located a record for the correct person.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 January 15 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any marriage certificates for the children? which should state father's name and occupation and possibly whether he was deceased.  Also do you have Ann's death certificate, which would probably state wife of... or widow of...

I  don't want to suggest Ann was anything but an honest woman,  :o but the fact that she had two children after your last sighting doesn't prove Patrick Snr was still around after 1861.  Have you found any baptisms for the children? and what do they say about the father?
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Doll_parts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 February 15 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any marriage certificates for the children? which should state father's name and occupation and possibly whether he was deceased.  Also do you have Ann's death certificate, which would probably state wife of... or widow of...

I  don't want to suggest Ann was anything but an honest woman,  :o but the fact that she had two children after your last sighting doesn't prove Patrick Snr was still around after 1861.  Have you found any baptisms for the children? and what do they say about the father?

I have found 2 marriage certs for the 2 daughters he had. Both of them say their fathers name was Edward Reardon... Though I cant find a marriage banns record for his son. There is a 1861 Census with Patrick and his Wife Ann and one Daughter Ellen. According to that census his occupation says "Waiter".
On his marriage banns to Ann, his occupation is "Dock Clerk"
On Ellens marriage banns its says he's an "engineer"
and on Carolines marriage banns its says "..... Clerk"
None of them say he was deceased, and no I dont have Ann's death certificate. All through the census forms i found for her it always says she is married. Not single or a widow. And there's no other men living with her, just her and the kids.
I cant find any baptism records for the kids either.
Stoakes/Stokes - Kent,
Norris - Cambridgeshire
Dyson - Kent
Maurice - Wales