Author Topic: Was Ewen Carter c.1748, in fact, Ewen Cottar (or Cottier) and did he come from t  (Read 4185 times)

Offline NEJ21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Like many families, I suspect, there is an oral tradition of a “Scottish” ancestor.  In my family this rather elusive person seems to be linked with one of the Sarahs, who married into the family.  My grandmother, a somewhat romantic person, with a tendency to 'embroider' facts, also said that this ancester had 'come south in connection with some legal case'.

Sarah Carter was the granddaughter of Ewen Carter and Elizabeth Pavey, who were said to have been married at St. Botolph, Aldgate in London on the 18th September 1771.  This information from Family Search also suggests that Ewen was born in 1748 and that both he and Elizabeth were living in Epsom, Surrey at the time that they were married.  At this point, I have hit the proverbial 'Brick Wall'!  Although the surname Carter appears in many parts of  England, Scotland etc., the Christian name Ewen appears to have been very much less common at that time; appearing mostly in Scotland and the Isle of Man (Info. again from Family Search).  So far, I have only found Cottar & Cottier as the only surnames linked with Ewen that sound remotely like Carter and which could have been recorded as such by the parson or his clerk as he 'heard' it.   

If my rather way out guess is any sort of runner, then the next problem is – which Ewen was it?  So far, I have found four possible candidates but have not yet tried to follow up possible deaths or marriages.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions. 

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was Ewen Carter c.1748, in fact, Ewen Cottar (or Cottier) and did he come from t
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 January 15 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not what you want but some details on Ewen Carter
1771 marriage says both of this parish.

1781 Apprentice Records
Ewen Carter cordwainer Twickenham takes on apprentice John Watts 29.8.1781
Also 1788 Apprentice Charles Pavey 10.9.1788
He was apprenticed himself it looks like 29.8.1759 to Thomas Hanks of New Woodstock Oxford cordwainer.

Son John Carter son of Ewen Carter shoemaker of Twickenham is apprenticed 4.6. 1806 to William Jones clothworker

London Tax records
1788 Ewen Carter late Pevey rent £10 owner occupier Cranford Houndslow latter rented out to Benjamin Beedlestone until 1814.
1791 same Twickenham -1810 It is then rented out to William Millidge until 1818.

Uk Poll Book 1802
Ewen Carter Twickenham a pew in the church is his freehold which entitles him to vote.

12.9.1799 Ewen Carter Twickenham insurance with Sun alliance -National archives

So he seems to come from New Woodstock Oxfordshire born c 1747 does that fit any of your baptisms?

Ciderdrinker

Offline NEJ21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Was Ewen Carter c.1748, in fact, Ewen Cottar (or Cottier) and did he come from t
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 January 15 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker

Thank you for all the information on Ewen Carter.  Quite a lot to digest!  I have not found the son, John but my Ewen must have lived in Epsom after his marriage and then moved to Kingston (much closer to Twickenham).  The apprentice, Charles Pavey, does seem to fit.

Noreen   

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 January 15 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi- Me again.
You're right your Ewen Carter must have moved north.It's unfortunate that Twickenham parish records has so much missing.It doesn't seem to cover burials for the right date or baptisms in the 1780's and 1790's .
I've had look at the Pavey's
I found a Will for Charles Pavey farmer at Twickenham 13.12.1787 mentioning Ewen Carter  but frustratingly not including a relationship.It seems Ewen may have inherited the property from him in 1788.It's on Ancestry and at the National Archives to down load.If you want you can pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send it along.

Forgive but I've also had a look at the Pavey's in Epsom.
I think this is your Elizabeth.
Elizabeth Pavey 14.4.1750 daughter of James and Mary
However I think her mother is really Margaret and it's been mistranscribed as her possible sister Peggy baptised 17.9.1752 has a mother Margaret and there is a marriage at St Pauls Benet Wharf
26.9.1734 to Margraet Bradfold.

It seems he and Charles are the sons of Isaac and Jane Pavey  of Twickenham
James baptised 7.6.1715 Twickenham
Elizabeth 24.1.1708 and 17.5.1709.

Jane's Will also at the Canterbury Consistory Court names all her children adding sons Charles,John and Isaac and daughters Martha and Ann?
It's dated 14.8.1752  and if you want I can send you that too.
Her husband Issac's Will of 1751 just names sons James and Charles .
James's Will Epsom 27.2.1798 again mentions your Ewen Carter and land in Twickenham bequeathed to him and his heirs.Strangely again no mention of how they are related.But I'm assuming James's is leaving his property to his son in law and his grandchildren.

Sorry if you've already got all that but I thought it best to mention it.

Ciderdrinker