Author Topic: Catherine Young baptised Chichester 1801 married Brighton 1827 look ups please?  (Read 13037 times)

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Young baptised Chichester 1801 married Brighton 1827 look ups please?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Pleasure :)

Wish I could have uncovered more detailed information for you. 17th & 18th Century Wills are the most helpful tool to piece together family trees for this period, but I do not believe you'll find any for these generations.

From my notes:....

There is a registered will with grant of probate for William Lutman of Shermanbury, husbandman, dated 1721. There is also a settlement/removal order for Thomas Lutman and his wife Mary from Cuckfield to Shermanbury dated 1735. There may be a link here and William's will is probably worth reading.

From Census reports you can see that John Lutman & Catherine Young's son John Lutman (born 1829) became a jeweller and watchmaker in Brighton & Lewes, address 52 High Street, Lewes. He died in 1902 and there is an obituary report published in the Sussex Agricultural Express dated 28.10.1902 page 3, service held at the Jireh Chapel, a stronghold of Calvinistic Independents. He left £3352 (a lot for those days!)...maybe the children born in Brighton were baptised there??

His wife Sarah Lutman died of a haemorrhage aged 77 29/3/1912;

You can buy a Marriage CD from the Sussex Family History Group - there are lots of Lutman marriages in Sussex!

If you send me a message with your e-mail address I can send you the 1827 Marriage Banns.

Regards
Jules

Offline jacqueline cox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Young baptised Chichester 1801 married Brighton 1827 look ups please?
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 February 15 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Jules, I got both your pms but I can't see anyway of replying (technophobe!) When I get your email, I'll reply there in detail. Jacqueline
Bill, Shropshire
Cox, Nottingham, Maidenhead, West London
Donne, Carmarthen London & Kent
Holloway Medway, Kent
Hepple, Northumberland
Hurrian, North Kent, SE London
Lutman, Sussex
Newcomb, Corby, Lincs, Southwark, Clerkenwell
Orange Normandy East London
Proudlock, Northumberland
Shipley, Northumberland
Staples, City of London, Holborn
Sweeting, Suffolk, London, Surrey
Wilson, Marylebone, Fulham, London

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 February 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Great that so much progress has been made Jacqueline  :)

Just thought that I would add that there are images of some original non conformist records for the Lutman family on www.thegenealogist.co.uk and also www.bmdregisters.co.uk

Both sites are subscription but I always feel a thrill to view the original records so thought I would mention it to you.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacqueline cox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 February 15 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, HL, I am really grateful for the tip and will follow it up; I do subscribe to the Genealogist, but this stuff is coming so thick and fast, I can't keep up! My current concern is to enter all those I find in the 1841, '81 and 1911 censuses in"My Ancestors" in "Lost Cousins." New genealogy software will link with Lost Cousins and I hope to find living "Cousins"; 1/2 way through my approx 800 entries.
Bill, Shropshire
Holloway Medway, Kent
Hepple, Northumberland
Lutman, Sussex
Shipley, Northumberland

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 February 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Know just what you mean Jacqueline, there is always a list of things to do and often when you make progress it comes thick and fast.

The images have survived a few hundred years so they will wait a while longer for you to find them  ;)

Enjoy your discoveries.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacqueline cox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Jules, did you get my PM with my email address? PS I worked 1/4 mile from the brewery at Newton Heath for 8 years ..... :)
Bill, Shropshire
Holloway Medway, Kent
Hepple, Northumberland
Lutman, Sussex
Shipley, Northumberland

Offline jacqueline cox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 February 15 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Jules again! I was pleased that you told me that Richard Lutman b 1745 Wivelsfield and Elizabeth Older were more likely parents of John Lutman born 1771 who married Ann Rose, But in my family tree, I have children: Ann b 1757, Richard 1758, Sarah 1760, John 1771, Grace 1773, James 1775, Hannah 1777 and Jeny (sic) 1780 in my family tree. Without access to your record certainly not have been their children. Have I retained children from my former assumed parents from the wrong end of the county? Are Wivelsfield records accessible to me online? Sorry about this.
But I was very familiar with Newton Heath!
Bill, Shropshire
Holloway Medway, Kent
Hepple, Northumberland
Lutman, Sussex
Shipley, Northumberland

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 February 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
If you join the Sussex Family History Group you will have access to a lot of baptisms and burials which are available online to members.
Ann 1757, Richard 1758, Sarah 1760 and John 1765 are children of a Richard and Ann baptised at Sidlesham.  So are Grace 1773, Joseph 1775, Hannah 1777 and Jeny 1780. 

Offline jacqueline cox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 February 15 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, very much. They will all have to go - or be put on one side while I sort it out. I'll look into membership, but my ancestors are scattered profusely over the Eastern half of England from Kent to Northumberland, West Sussex being the furthest West, offhand 11counties- it's a lot of FHSocieties to join!
Bill, Shropshire
Holloway Medway, Kent
Hepple, Northumberland
Lutman, Sussex
Shipley, Northumberland