Author Topic: Catherine Young baptised Chichester 1801 married Brighton 1827 look ups please?  (Read 13031 times)

Offline jacqueline cox

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Young baptised Chichester 1801 married Brighton 1827 look ups please?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 19 February 15 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Plenty of Lutmans going on from my John. I've been following them up to enter in Lost Cousins, but I may have found one through Rootschat!
Bill, Shropshire
Cox, Nottingham, Maidenhead, West London
Donne, Carmarthen London & Kent
Holloway Medway, Kent
Hepple, Northumberland
Hurrian, North Kent, SE London
Lutman, Sussex
Newcomb, Corby, Lincs, Southwark, Clerkenwell
Orange Normandy East London
Proudlock, Northumberland
Shipley, Northumberland
Staples, City of London, Holborn
Sweeting, Suffolk, London, Surrey
Wilson, Marylebone, Fulham, London

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Young baptised Chichester 1801 married Brighton 1827 look ups please?
« Reply #37 on: Monday 23 February 15 11:55 GMT (UK) »
So pleased to see all the comments made on this thread which confirm my earlier research findings and assumptions. Non conformists did indeed follow their minister so the decision to move from Rockall to Cliffe may have been the result of a minister moving. It may be possible to find the meeting house minutes... They provide a wonderfull insight into the lives of the non-conformist community. John Lutman b. 1828 d. 25.10.1902 (the jeweler in lewes) had his funeral on 28.10.1902 and attended the Jireh Chapel, reported in the Sussex Agricultural Express. I will take a look at these records again when I'm next at The Keep. The Dr Williams Library also holds many records.I'm hoping we may find a reference to the Lutmans in the minutes. The link back to John Lutman b. around 1720 and his wife Susanna may be harder to prove...They had at least two daughters Susanna baptised 1736 Cuckfield and Lydia b. 1739 Wivelsfield. Richard Lutman baptised 1745 Wivelsfield, Rockall Baptist may have been their younger brother. A couple of documents are worth looking at: the 1735 settlement order for Thom Lutman and wife Mary Cuckfield to Shermanbury (not far from Lindfield); baptism of Thomas Lutman 6.6.1697 Shermanbury, father Richard and Mary; settlement order William Lutman Parish of Hastings 1747; will of John Lutman of Henfield 14.12.1616, date will 5.11.1616 - if he was a yeoman there may be manorial court rolls.

Jules

Offline jacqueline cox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 23 February 15 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I am very grateful to Jules and Fairmeadow for the amazing breakthroughs in my Lutman FH which they have both provided. Funny how their ancestors are in my patch (for 40 years, anyway) of England and mine in theirs! I'm a bit short of known non-conformist ancestors, especially dedicated ones, as well as ag labs who are known to have lived in the same cottage for three generations. Flesh on the bones, thank you so much.

Now if only some sleuth was beavering away on the Youngs and Cousins in Chichester .....
Bill, Shropshire
Cox, Nottingham, Maidenhead, West London
Donne, Carmarthen London & Kent
Holloway Medway, Kent
Hepple, Northumberland
Hurrian, North Kent, SE London
Lutman, Sussex
Newcomb, Corby, Lincs, Southwark, Clerkenwell
Orange Normandy East London
Proudlock, Northumberland
Shipley, Northumberland
Staples, City of London, Holborn