Author Topic: Changing religion?  (Read 3546 times)

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Changing religion?
« on: Friday 30 January 15 03:48 GMT (UK) »
I have baptismal certiifcates of siblings born to the same mother and father. Could someone explain why some are RC and some are Church of Ireland? There is no pattern to it, for eg. I thought one child COI and it stays that way, but one is RC then it changes to COI then back again to RC. Is there an explanation for this?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Changing religion?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 January 15 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   In a mixed marriage it often happened that among the children the boys followed the father's religion and the girls the mother's.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 January 15 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell for your reply, the thing is, as far as I am aware the parents were both of the same religion? I will have to do a bit more research to find out if one of them was a different religion? but that makes sense. Thanks for your reply.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 January 15 15:19 GMT (UK) »
You have actual cert??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 January 15 15:57 GMT (UK) »
And of course, they were all the same religion (call me a pedant if you like....)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 January 15 16:41 GMT (UK) »
No problem, I thought some are RC and some are Church of Ireland.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 January 15 16:43 GMT (UK) »
And of course, they were all the same religion (call me a pedant if you like....)

I've been debating all day whether to post that! ;D ;D

Their religion was Christianity; it's the denomination that changed ;D ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 January 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I have baptismal certiifcates of siblings born to the same mother and father. Could someone explain why some are RC and some are Church of Ireland? There is no pattern to it, for eg. I thought one child COI and it stays that way, but one is RC then it changes to COI then back again to RC. Is there an explanation for this?

What are the circumstances of the family? Were they all in the same parish / location? What time period / date? How have you confirmed that each is its respective denomination?

I went to a relative's funeral in Co Wicklow and got lost because there were two cemeteries both called after the same Saint in different parts of town, one RC and the other COI

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 January 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »

Their religion was Christianity; it's the denomination that changed ;D ::)

Been wondering how long you would be able to restrain yourself KG :)

But going back to the original question - Did the family move between these denominational changes? Could the reason be as simple as geographical closeness to a church? Or perhaps they had some reason for not liking the incumbent at a specific church and preferred to go elsewhere until a new person took over.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn