Author Topic: jane Saul  (Read 9598 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: jane Saul
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 31 January 15 06:59 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if SAUL was Jane's mother's nee name?  Perhaps we could look for a marriage of BIRD=SAUL ...... and perhaps a birth of a Jane BIRD, circa 1860  (With variations for Jane  ;D )

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 31 January 15 07:01 GMT (UK) »
I could be way off track, and perhaps too far into the 20th Century, but co-incidence of names, cemetery, denomination,  etc ....  :)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/51468890   23 March 1928 

KAROOLA.
Mr. Charles Carolas Bird, who died in Launceston on Friday, was one of the first settlers on the second river in the Lilydale district, he having resided there continuously for 52 years.

Deceased,who was much respected, was the only son of the late Mr. Jas. Bird  of Mowbray, Launceston. The burial took place in the Catholic Cemetery at Karoola on Sunday. Father O'Connor conducted the service in the church, and at the graveside.

The chief mourners were all the survivors of the family, five sons and three daughters. and a
great many near relatives. Mrs. Bird died four years ago. She was the second daughter of the late Cornelius McCarthy, formerly of the Westbury district

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 31 January 15 07:16 GMT (UK) »
The family were Roman Catholics and if it hasn't been done already I would suggest that you request a search for Minnie's baptism via the Hobart Archdiocese Archives.

http://hobart.catholic.org.au/content/archives

"Genealogical researchers are advised to send their enquiries by mail or email. Original baptism and marriage registers are not available to researchers but details can be provided from a computer database. The current fee for each search is $25. Monies received help towards conservation work on fragile registers."

Catholic baptisms usually contain the names of sponsors which can sometimes be a clue to other family members.  They might also make mention of Aboriginality if indeed this was the case.

I would though confirm with them that their 'computer database' contains ALL the information from the register, and as Jane and Cornelius appear not to have married I would also give them all the other possible surnames that Minnie might have been recorded under.

Her age at burial suggests that she was born around 1891, but perhaps with their database they might not need to have an exact year.

http://www.launceston.tas.gov.au/lcc/index.php?c=30&burial_record=33849

Jane and Cornelius have a headstone - do you know what the inscription says?

http://eheritage.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/resources/fullimagedf27.html?ID=LFH_09798&ImageNum=1

Of all the family trees I have looked at, not one person has noted where they got the name BIRD from in connection to Jane.  As JM has noted, Cornelius's daughter Sarah married  Charles BIRD, and (I think) his son John married Mary Ann BIRD, but I don't see what the connection is to Jane.

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 31 January 15 07:19 GMT (UK) »
There are very few SAULs in Tasmania and most seem to be related to Charles and Lilly who arrived in Tas around 1883 from Victoria.  All of their children are accounted for.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 31 January 15 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 January 15 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Minnie McCarthy was temporarily staying in Launceston Tasmania. Minnie was born in Bangore. Tasmania.   Minnie McCarthy married 15 February in 1906 to Andrew Johnson. 21 yrs. Church of the Apostles   Minnie  even gives her mothers name exactly as   Jane  ( Saul ) McCarthy. on the Marriage certificate.    Minnie’s  mother signed the Consent form exactly as   Jane (Saul ) McCarthy.              Not Bird.

Hi there,

I am wondering if there's been a mis-transcription of the Clergy's writing.  Afterall, it was the clergyman who recorded the details given by the bride and the groom, and it was the clergyman who recorded the name of the person giving consent for the bride to marry.   In that era, registers .... civil and parish ..... were all recorded in longhand, and sometimes some of the writing can be difficult to read.

By closely inspecting the actual record, is it possible that " (Saul) " could be better transcribed as " Sarah "   

McCARTHY Minnie
JOHNSON Andrew
15 Feb 1906   Reg#722
Church of the Apostles, Launceston
and
jimnic can you possibly post a snip of the signature of the mother Jane Saul?

Cheers,  JM

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 February 15 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Good suggestion JM, I was looking at what other names SAUL could look like but didn't think of 'Sarah'.

In my searchings I noticed one name on a document transcribed as 'SAUL' but to me the name looked like 'TAIT', so it is very easy to misunderstand what is written if the handwriting is a bit scrawly.

Minnie’s  mother signed the Consent form exactly as   Jane (Saul ) McCarthy.   
Jimnic.

Jimnic, are there brackets around the name 'Saul' in the original document?

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 February 15 02:08 GMT (UK) »
As JM has noted, Cornelius's daughter Sarah married  James BIRD, and (I think) his son John married Mary Ann BIRD, but I don't see what the connection is to Jane.

Sorry, getting myself mixed up here with the two Cornelius McCARTHEYs.  Mary Ann and John mentioned above were the chilldren of Cornelius Snr. and it was his son Cornelius Jnr. born 1852 who was Jane's partner.

This is probably Cornelius Jnr.:

McCARTHEY, Given Name Not Recorded
Father: Cornelius McCARTHEY
Mother: Margaret CLANCY
Date of birth:  12 Jun 1852
Registered at Launceston

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 February 15 02:22 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Last evening I got my trusty pen and ink out.   In long hand I wrote " Bird" so the B is in the old fashioned style..... so could be mis-read as an old fashioned S with flourishes.       I can easily see 'aul' where I wrote "ird" as I did not 'dot' my 'i'.   

So "Bird" is a possibility  ;D  just as "Sarah" is also a possibility and of course "Saul" and Tait" and of course the far more usual mis-reading of the "S" for "L"  :)

Cheers,  JM