Author Topic: Kendal record office lookup please  (Read 6818 times)

Offline Evertonian2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kendal record office lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 February 15 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I really am most grateful for the interest you are showing in my problem, and for the advice which you are offering me.  I shall try to follow up some of these ideas and see where it gets me.  Thank you all very much.
In relation to the staff at Kendal - I have to say that in the past they have been very helpful, but on this last occasion they didn't live up to their previous reputation.  Maybe I didn't explain my problem clearly enough to them.

Offline Evertonian2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 February 15 19:04 GMT (UK) »
AndyCand
I have done as you suggested and clicked on the link you gave me (many thanks for that).  The particular film number refers to 'draft baptisms'.  Have you any idea what this means?

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I would think it means that your ancestor was posthumously baptised by the Mormons. The practice of posthumous baptism has been part of the church’s theology almost since its founding.

As the film you refer to is an index, I think you now need to look again at the Parish Registers on microfilm and widen the search a few years before and after the possible baptism (these registers are not indexed on the IGI until the year 1813).  As I mentioned in my last posting you could carry this out at Preston Records Office as they have the PRs on microfilm. Kendal hold the Bishops Transcripts only (copies of the PRs sent to the Bishop yearly).

Another thing to consider is even if he was christened at Kirkby Lonsdale, he was illegitimate and his mother would possibly travel outside her parish to have him christened. It's also highly unlikely that you would find out who the father was unless there was a bastardy bond taken out to make the father responsible for the upkeep of the child. Possibly the best way forward is to trace Mary's parents and work back from there.
Author of  THE GRISENTHWAITE NAME THROUGH TIME
Also researching:
Affleck; Holmes; Wilkinson; Watson

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

According to the link below the Parish Registers from 1538 to the 1970s are at Kendal Record Office. I would suggest contacting them and that they are available to view.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WES/KirkbyLonsdale/index.htm

Andy

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 08:55 GMT (UK) »
My source is from Cumbrian Ancestors which was printed by Cumbria Archive Service and published by Cumbria County Council. Depending on which way Evertonion is travelling from, Preston RO may be nearer. Microfilm will also be held at Carlisle Archive Centre.

Either way the records need to be looked at on microfilm as they are not on the IGI.
Also researching:

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

According to the original post Evertonian2 has looked at the registers at Kendal, and the Cumbria Archive Service Catalogue. has the following reference  WPR 19, Kirkby Lonsdale, St Mary Parish, 1538-1992 at Kendal.  That suggests the registers are at Kendal as the Genuki information states. If they have been filmed it may not all have been done by the LDS , it may even be that you have to access the Original Registers.

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly the surname 'Theobalds', is quite prominent in Kirkby Lonsdale around that time - CASCAT has several documents listed and the Kirkby Lonsdale Parson and White directory of 1829 also lists Theobalds. It seems likely that Emmanuel's middle name is that of his father. The usual spelling of the Christian name is Theobald (without the s).
Also researching:

Offline Evertonian2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all again for your helpful comments and suggestions.  I actually live in Preston so that is the obvious place to go.  I looked at a transcription of the parish registers at Kendal first and then at the Bishop's Transcript films there.  The suggestion about a post-mortem baptism is an interesting one and so I think I need to widen the date period.  What excited me about this reference is that the original date 1794 fits exactly with the suggested date of Emanuel Hutchinson as given in the 19th century censuses.  I also agree that the name 'Theobalds' (with an s) is probably the name of his father, as it is the surname version.  We shall see!  Many thanks for your interest.