Author Topic: Barshams of Ixworth  (Read 2916 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barshams of Ixworth
« on: Friday 30 January 15 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’m needing help tracing info about the Barsham family of Ixworth.

What I know:- James Barsham born at Ixworth or Ixworth Thorpe about 1772. He was an attorney.
He may have married an Elizabeth Wells who may have been previously widowed, 17 Feb 1799. Other trees show Elizabeth Middleditch.
 His children were :-
William James Barsham born abt  1798 Ixworth. He married Mary Ann Sterley 1821. Children:- Mary, John and Albert.
George. Born 1800.
John Barsham Born abt 1800. Married Mary Goer 1821.
Thomas Barsham. Married Louisa Debenham. Doctor in Norton, Suffolk. No children. Buried Theydon Bois. I have lots more about him and Louisa.
Ellen Barsham. Born 1905 Ixworth.
Ann Smith Barsham. Born 1808 Ixworth. I have lots about her and her family in South Africa.
Elizabeth Barsham born 1815. May have married a William Henry Sams.
Any extra info welcome but perhaps check to see what I have. This is very much a short check list. Thanks.
Link to my tree should you wish to see what I have is :-    http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/25191369/person/12627287249
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Barshams of Ixworth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 January 15 23:46 GMT (UK) »
A couple of newspaper items that may help you:

5th January 1833
A few days since was married, William Henry Sams Esq., Solicitor, Ixworth to Ellen Barsham, youngest daughter of the late Wm Barsham, Ixworth.
[It says Wm Barsham but could have been James?]

31st August 1836
Deaths
On the 23rd June last, at Jamaica, aged 27 years, Mr Robert Barsham, youngest son of the late James Barsham Esq., solicitor, of Ixworth

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 15 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Dave. I hadn't even found Robert! Do you have the newspaper web addresses.  That would enable me to add a citation for other researchers of the family. I know that there are some in South Africa.
Thanks also for the one about William Henry Sams and Ellen.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 January 15 18:45 GMT (UK) »
from the Suffolk marriage Index
Ellen BARSHAM married William Henry SAMS of Pakenham on 27 Dec 1832 at Ixworth.

K

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 15 00:43 GMT (UK) »
You don't to seem to have many baptism dates on your tree - have compared baptism and burials for Ixworth and this seems to be the children:

John Wells bp.28/2/1796, son of Elizabeth Wells
William James Wells bp.27/9/1797, son of Elizabeth Wells

then, after their marriage:

Thomas bp.24/2/1799, bur.5/10/1800
Ann Smith bp.6/4/1800, bur.23/9/1800
Ann Smith bp.5/7/1801
Thomas bp.28/11/1802
James bp.22/5/1804, bur.8/7/1804
Ellen bp.10/11/1805
Elizabeth bp.22/2/1807, bur.22/9/1814 (as Barnham)
Robert bp.2/10/1808
?James bc.1811, bur.13/5/1811 (no baptism but seems likely as former James died)
Elizabeth bc.1815 (no baptism)

(Cannot find a George ca.1800 either as Wells or Barsham?)

Wife Elizabeth bc.1772 bur.29/4/1831 Ixworth
James Barsham himself is shown as bc.1759, bur.28/12/1819 Ixworth aged 60!

There are no Barsham burials in the parish of Ixworth before 1800 so does not look as if James was a native of Ixworth himself and came from somewhere else plus some years older than you thought.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 February 15 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Think I could have found where James Barsham hailed from:

James Barsham bp.12/11/1760 Downham Market, Norfolk, son of Thomas and Anne
also
Anne bp.29/5/1763
John bp.14/11/1764

Thomas Barsham, single of Upwell, Isle of Ely, married Ann Smith 19/5/1757 Downham Market, Norfolk by Licence.   Witnesses John Brown and Thomas Kempton.  All 4 signed.

The fact that Thomas Barsham married by Licence and that both he and wife Ann were literate would suggest that he himself was someone of some substance.

His first child with Ann could have been Thomas Spencer Barsham who was buried as an infant, son of Thomas 17/6/1758 Fincham, abode Upwell!

then 3 children at Downham Market:

James bp.12/11/1760
Anne bp.29/6/1763
John bp.14/11/1764

then back to Fincham:

Martha bp.16/11/1765
Ellen bp.15/11/1767
Ellen bp.13/11/1769
Thomas bp.20/1/1771
Eleanor bp.1/1/1781

I suspect there was another Thomas born between 1760 and 1763 as a Thomas Barsham, son of Thomas and Ann, was buried 9/6/1765 Fincham.   With a 10 year gap between the last 2 children above I wonder if they had children in another parish besides Downham Market and Fincham.

Thomas Barsham was buried at Fincham 6/9/1795 (no age given)
Ann Barsham was buried at Fincham 23/7/1810 aged 75 (bc.1735) and shown as widow of Thomas.   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 February 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
WOW!! Thanks for so much added info Annette. I will have to get this on to the tree. Many thanks again.

Offline smann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 April 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
I would like to Know the Name of the Freemason in the Picture

As additional information the Barshams lived in the Elms High St Ixworth see below

1833  Manor Court: William James Barsham surrendered his copyhold property to    Sturley Nunn.  The details are complex and confusing; the property was part    copyhold and part freehold.  It appears to correspond to The Elms (Tenements    1 and 2).  It included a stable and other buildings and yards.  The description    says ‘abuts upon a messuage belonging to John Barsham towards the north-   west’.  Does the messuage correspond with Tenement 3?   

1832  Manor Court: It was recorded that on 27th August 1824 three members of the    Barsham Family had each surrendered a ‘tenement, formerly 2 tenements, and    then known by the names of Beetons and Ropers with the backhouse formerly    called Mansfields........ and also the copyhold building formerly used as part of    a malthouse to the said messuage adjoining..................’   The reference to a malthouse must mean No 9 High Street (Tenement 3).  It    appears that it is at this stage united with No 7 High Street (Tenement 1).   

1831  Graffiti in the roof structure over No 7 High Street may tell us that it was    refurbished and refronted in that year. 

1824  Manor Court: George Boldero was admitted to the property in trust for     William James Barsham (he surrendered his trusteeship to William in 1832,    see above).   

1820  Manor Court: Elizabeth, John, and William Barsham were together admitted    to Tenements  1-3 under the will of James Barsham dec’d.  They were his    widow and two sons.  William is named as steward of the manor from this    date through to 1832.
Dr Stephen P Mann The Elms Ixworth

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 April 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the very informative posting. I am just about to leave for the North of England, but will leave another post very soon.
Picture is of my Gt grandfather James Gibb Pittendreigh (1869- 1945) who was a quite high ranking Mason in Aberdeenshire. Can find almost no info about him as Lodge no longer exists.