Author Topic: Welsh parish records on findmypast. How accurate are they?  (Read 4618 times)

Offline gwencymru

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welsh parish records on findmypast. How accurate are they?
« on: Saturday 31 January 15 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I've only just started using FindMyPast to search Welsh parish records.  I've found that the records supposedly for Llangeinwen Anglesey are actually for Llangoed Anglesey.  Before I make any more major mistakes, could anyone let me know whether other parishes are mixed up like this. Some of the images had the correct parish on them, but some older images had nothing to identify the parish.
Most of my research is from Caernarfonshire, Anglesey and Pembrokeshire.
Also is there a list of parishes covered, and dates?
Thanks
Richards Pembrokeshire Hubberston
Lloyd Anglesey Penmon
Thomas Caernarvonshire Pentir Llanddeiniolen
Jones  Caernarvonshire Aberdaron Llangian
Thomas Caernarvonshire Tydweiliog
Morris Caernarvonshire  Llaniestyn

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh parish records on findmypast. How accurate are they?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 February 15 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Look at 'Llandinorwig' pre 1858 , and you will find 'Llandudno' .
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline cennydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 February 15 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Check copies should be in Archives Angelsey also Gwynedd Family History MAY have transcribed copies

Offline BostonLil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 00:18 GMT (UK) »
There are big problems with the transcriptions of a lot of the FindMyPast Welsh records.  For example, going for Glamorgan Burials there are 274,705 results.  However, there are pages of no names at all.  I looked at one and it turned out to be entered in the register as "A Body Unknown".  Fair enough, you might say - you can't make up a name.  However, if you are a Pay-per-View customer who is looking for a burial you believe may be in a particular parish, you will have to use 20 credits to see the original record or 10 to view the transcription.  They say they are supposed to transcribe as seen, but this can be very inconsistent across the record sets - why couldn't they use Unknown Body in the surname field?  Some have years of birth entered to match the year of burial for "a body washed up on the shore" with a blank age - why?

The next bad lot are those where there is only a first name.  Cardiff St John, Llangynwyd, Abercynon, Newton Nottage, are some of the parishes affected.  I dip sampled one from Cardiff and the person's surname was transcribed into the Husband's First Name field.  At this point the total changed to 219,603 - worryingly.  I carried on dip sampling both male and female first names, and all had the surname transcribed in the Husband's First Name field and therefore blank in the surname field.  Page 54 and the total changed again to 223,187.  I got up to Charles on page 70 and the total changed again to 236,545 - the surnames were still as the Husband's First Name. Page 76 of who knows how many and it wouldn't show me any more (and now showed  271,959) even if I picked a higher page number, it still showed the page Cornelius to Daniel. 

The above records picked were from post 1813 burial registers and were clear to read.  It is obvious that there are serious problems with the quality control.  The reference at the bottom of the transcriptions says that they are by brightsolid, which is basically FindMyPast.

I then did a search on Abercynon on its own - keeping Glamorgan Burials as the record set.  I got 731 results - although this changed to 730 as I went through the pages.  You need to go to page 36 of 37 before you get any burials with surnames.

I noticed these anomalies last year and reported them - and I know of several other people who did the same.  I also see that it was reported yet again a few days ago on the FindMyPast Facebook page.

You ask how accurate the records are.  If you know what you are looking for and when and where, you may get lucky and find it by being careful about not using surnames.  If you need to use the surname, you may very well be unlucky.  If you are Pay-per-View, I would say be very very very careful or you could end up using all of your credits for very little or no gain.
Ingamells - anywhere and everywhere
Capes - Holbeach, Lincs and Castleacre, Norfolk
Carling - Manchester
Parkinson - Wainfleet, Thorpe St Peter, Legsby (Lincs)
Waller - Donington on Bain, Lincs
Davey/Davey - Stickford, Lincs
West - Asterby , Lincs c 1800 +/-20yrs
Gaunt/Gant - Baumber, Lincs
Ellingworth - Rutland
Dexter - Rutland
Clark/e - Holbeach, Lincs
Rodgers/Rogers - Holbeach, Lincs
Freshney - Moulton, Lincs
Ling - Saleby and Whaplode, Lincs

Offline BostonLil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 00:21 GMT (UK) »
You should be able to see a list of UK records by using this link

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records

Except at the moment this is one of the many links on the FindMyPast site that you open up, only for it to flash and go into a blank page.
Ingamells - anywhere and everywhere
Capes - Holbeach, Lincs and Castleacre, Norfolk
Carling - Manchester
Parkinson - Wainfleet, Thorpe St Peter, Legsby (Lincs)
Waller - Donington on Bain, Lincs
Davey/Davey - Stickford, Lincs
West - Asterby , Lincs c 1800 +/-20yrs
Gaunt/Gant - Baumber, Lincs
Ellingworth - Rutland
Dexter - Rutland
Clark/e - Holbeach, Lincs
Rodgers/Rogers - Holbeach, Lincs
Freshney - Moulton, Lincs
Ling - Saleby and Whaplode, Lincs

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 February 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a number of errors with findmypast welsh parish records. I have sent messages to  FindMyPast but have never received a reply.

They seem to have issues many with parishes with Llan at the start of the name although not restricted to them. Just a few I have come across;

1. Llanbadrig - Llanbedrgoch
2. Llangefni - Llandrygarn and Llanddeusant
3. Dwygyfylchi - Dolwyddelan

Also, for some strange reason Dwygyfylchi - Edern......for crying out loud, even to a non welsh speaker there is no similarity with that one!

My research is purely North Wales so I don't know if there are similar issues with English, Irish and Scottish parish records on FindMyPast.

100%Gog
Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 March 15 10:59 GMT (UK) »
There are hundreds (thousands?) of errors in the Anglesey data alone. Today I have found an exceptional example:-

A marriage took place at Llanfairpwllgwyngyll on 27 Apr 1825 between David Jones and Anne Roberts (both otp, PR p13, no 38), the image of the parish record clearly states Llanfairpwllgwyngyll at the top of the page. FindmyPast has two transcriptions for this record, one has the marriage place as Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf the other has Llanfaelog as the marriage place. In both cases the bride's and groom's parishes are correctly given as Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gwencymru

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that, as I feared.
I had a month's sub for FindMyPast UK records for £5. By restricting my search eg to Anglesey burials, I managed to get some useful info, but could only trust it when I could see the parish name at the top of the page.
Definitely not worth getting another subscription at full price.
Ancestry is usually better, but today my Welsh relies are getting hints from Essex!
Richards Pembrokeshire Hubberston
Lloyd Anglesey Penmon
Thomas Caernarvonshire Pentir Llanddeiniolen
Jones  Caernarvonshire Aberdaron Llangian
Thomas Caernarvonshire Tydweiliog
Morris Caernarvonshire  Llaniestyn