Author Topic: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey  (Read 17270 times)

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 October 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, from all the census records I've traced Hugh was Henry's grandad and Elizabeth Henry's mum. Hugh and wife Ellen were Elizabeths parents. They were all at the same address on census records though it is not the family that lived at Bryn Pilot though Hugh and his grandsons were mostly sailors. Ellen died in 1876 I think it was. I still have a lot of searching to do to make sure I can put the tree to-gether correctly so anyone with information on the family at all is very welcome. Addresses they lived at are Barrix 1850's Beudy 1860's Tan? Y Bont 1880's Bron Haul 1890's and ending up in Well St. All are , or were in Menai Bridge. I cannot find Henry's mum after 1901 census or his siblings .Phew
Churchyard biggleswade and bedford
Currie galashiels and Selkirk
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 October 16 22:50 BST (UK) »
P.S Henry's mum was Elizabeth Jones his wife was Elizabeth Williams
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Another Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, from all the census records I've traced Hugh was Henry's grandad and Elizabeth Henry's mum. Hugh and wife Ellen were Elizabeths parents. They were all at the same address on census records though it is not the family that lived at Bryn Pilot though Hugh and his grandsons were mostly sailors. Ellen died in 1876 I think it was. I still have a lot of searching to do to make sure I can put the tree to-gether correctly so anyone with information on the family at all is very welcome. Addresses they lived at are Barrix 1850's Beudy 1860's Tan? Y Bont 1880's Bron Haul 1890's and ending up in Well St. All are , or were in Menai Bridge. I cannot find Henry's mum after 1901 census or his siblings .Phew

Would that be 2 or 14 Well Street - Not sure if No 2. exists from what can be seen on Google Earth seems it starts at No. 4 - 14 looks like a mid terrace

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 21:11 BST (UK) »
Part of Well St was demolished no.2 was standing in 1895 14 is still there
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 21:37 BST (UK) »
Is it Henry's mother,Elizabeth,at Rock Terrace in 1891(ref RG12/4665/13/20)?
If so,she dies in 1892,aged 50.

If Henry was her illegitimate son,did he simply give his own name and profession as his father's at marriage to avoid social stigma or did Elizabeth subsequently and coincidentally marry a Henry Jones?
Have you found a marriage for her,as she is quoted as married in 1881 at Tan y Bont and a widow at Rock Terrace in 1891(if it is her).

Regards
Roger

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hello yes it is Elizabeth that lived at Rock Terrace. according to the census Elizabeth had a son William who was 2yrs older than Henry, a sister Catherine G 3yrs younger than Henry, Hugh 7yrs younger Thomas J 10yrs younger ( he is down as a witness on Henry's marriage cert along with a Mary E Francis ( looks like Francis ) and younger brother Morris and another sister Ellen these are on the 1881 census living at Tan Y Bont. So working on his youngest sibling being born around 1879 his father must have died after this date I have tried to trace the births or baptisms for these siblings and have found a few of the births registered ( civil registrations )with mother named Jones but have not been able to trace the baptisms that would give their fathers name. Thanks for your interest  :)
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 15:06 BST (UK) »
If so,she dies in 1892,aged 50.

If Henry was her illegitimate son,did he simply give his own name and profession as his father's at marriage to avoid social stigma or did Elizabeth subsequently and coincidentally marry a Henry Jones?
Have you found a marriage for her,as she is quoted as married in 1881 at Tan y Bont and a widow at Rock Terrace in 1891(if it is her).

Elizabeth's death registration (21 Dec 1892 at Rock Terrace, Menai Bridge) describes her as the widow of Hugh Jones, labourer. The informant was Henry Jones, son. As you have discovered Henry Jones described himself as the son of Henry Jones, mariner, when he married Elizabeth Williams, so not the son of Hugh Jones.

I can find the civil birth registrations for two of Elizabeth's children - in each case the name of the father is absent - which implies the children are illegitimate:

Ellen Jones, dau. of Elizabeth Jones b. 27 Nov 1879, Llandysilio
Morris Jones, son of Elizabeth Jones b. 20 Apr 1877, Llandysilio

We also know that, according to his baptism, Henry is the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Jones and that William Jones is referred to as Henry's half-brother in the local paper, so different fathers if Elizabeth is mother of both.

Taken all together it seems likely that Elizabeth's children had a number of fathers - at least two - and perhaps she was never married and subsequently widowed?

Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my previous post now looks wrong(!) as I think I have found Elizabeth Jones, husband Hugh Jones and children William, Catherine and Hugh in the 1871 census - living in Chapel Street, Llanddeiniolen, Caernarvonshire (RG10, 5717, 18,9).
Hugh Jones, labourer, 29, b. Llanfaethlu, Anglesey
Elizabeth Jones, wife, 29, b. Menai Bridge
William Jones, son, 8, b. Menai Bridge
Catherine Jones, dau. 4, b Carnarvon
Hugh Jones, son, 5 mo., b. Menai Bridge

Hugh's birth registration has b. 20 Nov 1870 Llandysilio, the son of Hugh Jones and Elizabeth Jones.

Curious that Henry was baptised 1864 as the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Jones.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 23:13 BST (UK) »
A Henry Jones was given as the son of an Elizabeth Jones of Beudy in 1864.The Henry on the marriage certificate gives his father as Henry,not Hugh.This could  be born out in the first two children's names-William Henry and Jane Ellen,presumably reflecting each of the couples parents.Perhaps if we found Elizabeth William's mother's name it would give a pairing for Henry's parents.

Regards
Roger