Author Topic: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey  (Read 17337 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 27 October 16 21:20 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to investigate the addresses given on the 1895 marriage certificate.
It seems likely to me that the address for Elizabeth  Williams is Wernbach,Llandegfan.In 1891 this property is occupied by David and Jane Williams,with David having been head of household at that address for several censuses.However,Jane looks like his third wife(at least),and probably married between 1881 and 1891.Interestingly Jane is given as born Bethesda,1848-a reasonable age and correct location to be Elizabeth's mother.Perhaps Jane married David after William died?(There is a civil marriage of David Williams to Jane Willams,Bangor 1887,but this could be pure coincidence).

Also in 1891,2 Well Street(no.2 handwritten on original ref RG12/4665/14/22)is occupied by a married Jane Jones,born 1840 Bangor.She has a son Born Menai Bridge,but I can't make anything further useful of this data to date.

Regards
Roger

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 27 October 16 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello again and thanks for all your interest . Firstly on Henry's marriage cert it gives his age as 28 which would have his birth year as 1866-67 . According to the 1851 census his mother has a sister Jane who is 7yrs older than her, a brother Thomas age 20 he was a taylor, and a younger brother Hugh who was 6yrs old . This was when they lived at 19 Barix Menai Bridge. I have looked at a couple of different possibilities for Henry's wife Elizabeth Williams born Bethesda it is possible she had a sister called Jane and brother called Hugh but again cannot be certain I have the right ones yet lots of Williams too and same forenames. Thanks to everyones help here much apprieciated .
Churchyard biggleswade and bedford
Currie galashiels and Selkirk
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 27 October 16 22:19 BST (UK) »
P.S  I have come across a marriage in 1868 at Bangor between a Henry Jones and Elizabeth Jones but no other details other than it was the September qtr.
Regards Yvonne
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 03 November 16 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to look at the 1939 register for Well St and I believe I have found Henry Jones widow Elizabeth ( nee Williams )  living at  2 Well St with one of their sons Richard and a Roderick Jones b. 1913 ( unknown to family at this time ) Middle name of Elizabeth was Ellen and it gives her date of birth as 2nd Sept. 1877. her son Richard was born in 1900 and we know he did not marry. From a previous post here I learnt that Henry died at 14 Well St, in the register it gives a David John Jones b. 30th Sept 1873 occupation butcher and his wife Winifred Ann b. 4th April 1874. Robert Henry jones b. 5th july 1912 motor driver , Catherine Williams married b. 15th July 1897 and a Alfred James Williams b. 1931 all living at 14. Also in the register at Well St a house called Tylywyn which appears to have Henry's brother Thomas and his family living there. The date of birth for him would match the one I have. It gives his wifes name as Mary Ellen b. 3rd June 1873. Her name ties in with the name of the other witness on Henry and Elizabeths wedding certificate Thomas being the other. Her maiden name looks to be Francis. Again at 12 Well St their is a William Jones b.29 April 1869 ( could this be Henry's half brother ? his year of birth would match with the info I have :-\ his wife was Mary Ann b. 4 Dec 1871. Or am I just being hopefull that the family more or less lived in the same street ?  ??? Any imput much apprieciated thanks
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 03 November 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I think you may be being hopeful after such a time lapse,particularly with a name like Jones.The Roderick Jones you refer to,for instance,is probably the one registered in Bangor district 1913,having a mother's maiden name of Jones(FreeBMD),and,presumably,therefore,not "your" family.

Regards
Roger

Offline Another Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 04 November 16 08:04 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to look at the 1939 register for Well St and I believe I have found Henry Jones widow Elizabeth ( nee Williams )  living at  2 Well St with one of their sons Richard and a Roderick Jones b. 1913 ( unknown to family at this time ) Middle name of Elizabeth was Ellen and it gives her date of birth as 2nd Sept. 1877. her son Richard was born in 1900 and we know he did not marry. From a previous post here I learnt that Henry died at 14 Well St, in the register it gives a David John Jones b. 30th Sept 1873 occupation butcher and his wife Winifred Ann b. 4th April 1874. Robert Henry jones b. 5th july 1912 motor driver , Catherine Williams married b. 15th July 1897 and a Alfred James Williams b. 1931 all living at 14. Also in the register at Well St a house called Tylywyn which appears to have Henry's brother Thomas and his family living there. The date of birth for him would match the one I have. It gives his wifes name as Mary Ellen b. 3rd June 1873. Her name ties in with the name of the other witness on Henry and Elizabeths wedding certificate Thomas being the other. Her maiden name looks to be Francis. Again at 12 Well St their is a William Jones b.29 April 1869 ( could this be Henry's half brother ? his year of birth would match with the info I have :-\ his wife was Mary Ann b. 4 Dec 1871. Or am I just being hopefull that the family more or less lived in the same street ?  ??? Any imput much apprieciated thanks

So there is some confusion as to whether Henry died at 2 or 14 well Street, is there a question as to whether it is the same Jones Family at both 2 and 14 ?

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 04 November 16 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Henry's death was registered at no. 14 they had lived there at least since 1911 census. Not sure about the Elizabeth at no. 2 in the 1939 register have to look at that in more detail. It was Henry's son Hugh that was with him when he died which does make me wonder if Elizabeth was still alive then or not.  :-\
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Another Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 04 November 16 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Henry's death was registered at no. 14 they had lived there at least since 1911 census. Not sure about the Elizabeth at no. 2 in the 1939 register have to look at that in more detail. It was Henry's son Hugh that was with him when he died which does make me wonder if Elizabeth was still alive then or not.  :-\

By the looks of it there could be a possibility that it is either an extended family of the Jones originally at No2 or indeed a completely different family

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 04 November 16 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Henry's death was registered at no. 14 they had lived there at least since 1911 census.... It was Henry's son Hugh that was with him when he died which does make me wonder if Elizabeth was still alive then or not.  :-\

I have looked for death registrations, surname Jones, with the address given as Well Street, Llandysilio. In most cases the house number is not given. These are taken from a file of transcribed death registrations for Anglesey.

Among them is:
Elizabeth Jones, 35, died 8 May, 1911 at Well Street, Menai Bridge, Llandysilio. She was the wife of Henry Jones, mariner. The informant was Henry Jones, widower.

Edith Annie Jones, 4 (but should be 4 months) died 23 July, 1904 at Well Street, Menai Bridge, Llandysilio, dau. of mariner Henry Jones. Informant Henry Jones, father.
(Edith Annie's birth registration has b. 6 Mar 1904, Llandysilio, dau. of Henry Jones & Eliza Williams.)

Ellen Jones, 42, died 13 Sep 1925 at No. 2 Well Street, Menai Bridge, Llandysilio, domestic cook, spinster. Informant M E Jones, sister in law.

I think there are others which may also interest you but unfortunately I am very pressed for time these days.

By the way have you considered buying a copy of the book of Memorial Inscriptions for St. Tysilio churchyard produced by Gwynedd FHS? It is more expensive than many of their books, presumably because of the number of graves, but may have more details about the grave mentioned in your original post.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk