Author Topic: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey  (Read 17197 times)

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 February 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much DragonT there are so many Jones in that area and with the same Christian names too. Your input is greatly apprieciated. It is so often the case that the family who could have given us all the details have only passed on in recent years , hindsight ect ect.  :)
Churchyard biggleswade and bedford
Currie galashiels and Selkirk
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 February 15 21:03 GMT (UK) »

He was baptized at Llandysilio Parish Church on 16 Oct 1864, the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Jones.

Hi Daisy59, Sorry, I forgot to mention one thing about this baptism - Elizabeth Jones' abode was given as Beudy. Based on this, and the other information in my first post, I believe this is the Henry Jones, age 6, living with his grandparents at Beudy, Menai Bridge in 1871.

But I do not know whether this is the same Henry Jones who is living at Bryn pilot, Llandegfan in 1881 and 1891 and who is described as the son of Hugh Jones and Jane.

I've searched Anglesey BMD indexes, census and other data for members of these families looking to see whether there is evidence to link them. But it is difficult - too many Joneses with the same first names, as you say.

Starting with Hugh Jones and wife Ellin at Beudy, Menai Bridge in 1871, they are living at Barracks, Menai Bridge in 1861 and 1851. The household in 1851 consists of:

Hugh Jones 41 Boatman b. Llandysilio
Ellen Jones 41 Wife b. Llanllyfni, Caernarvonshire
Thomas Jones 20 Son, Tailor, b. Llandwrog
Jane Jones 15 Dau. b. Llandysilio
Elizabeth 9 Dau. b. Llandysilio
Hugh 3 Son b. Llandysilio

The births of the younger children were registered:
Hugh Jones son of Hugh, mother Ellin Griffith 1 Nov 1847 - Llandysilio
Elizabeth Jones dau. of Hugh, mother Ellen Griffiths 2 Nov 1841 - Llandysilio
There was also:
Hugh Jones son of Hugh, mother Ellen Griffiths 4 May 1840. His death was registered:
14 Nov 1840 at Llandysilio, age 6 months. Informant Ellen Jones.

Hugh Jones (Llandysilio) married Ellen Griffith (Llandegfan) at Llandegfan Parish Church on 30 Nov 1830. Both signed by mark.

Ellen Jones died 30 Nov 1871, age 66 at Beudy, Llandysilio, wife of boatman Hugh Jones. Informant Elizabeth Jones.

As for the family of Hugh Jones and Jane at Bryn pilot, Llandegfan:
David Evan Jones, son of Hugh and Jane Evans born 7 Nov 1874, Llandegfan
Mary Jones, dau of Hugh and Jane Evans born 24 Aug 1880, Llandegfan
John Jones, son of Hugh and Jane Evans born 10 Mar 1863, Llandegfan
There is no Henry Jones registered as born to them but there is an un-named son:
(boy) Jones, son of Hugh and Jane Evans born 10 Jan 1866, Llandegfan who would be 15 in 1871.

Marriage:
Jane Evans of Bryn Pilot, Llandegfan, dau of John Evans, Labourer married Hugh Jones, mariner of Cefndu Bach, Llandegfan son of Hugh Jones, Labourer on 19 Jul 1861 at Llandegfan Church.

Hugh Jones and Jane are also at Bryn Pilot in 1901 and 1911. Hugh consistently gives his place of birth as Penmynydd, Anglesey. In the 1861 census he is an A B seaman on a vessel called Brian Boru (perhaps) in Holyhead harbour.

Jane Jones died 20 Jan 1908, age 67 at Bryn Pilot, Llandegfan, wife of master mariner Hugh Jones, who was the informant.
Hugh Jones died 6 Sep 1914, age 79 at Llanddaniel-fab, master mariner. Informant D.E. Jones, son.

To sum up I don't think I've got much further, it looks like the Henry Jones with his grandparents in 1871 is not the same Henry Jones who was with his parents in 1881 and 1891 but which is your husband's great-grandfather (if either?) is not clear to me. The marriage certificate Henry Jones/Elizabeth Williams might give us some helpful information, as would the 1871 census for Hugh, Jane and Henry Jones.
I hope I haven't confused the situation,
Regards
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again DragonT I've been going through the census records for 1871 but still cannot find Jane and Hugh together or with Henry. Neither can I find any other record of a Hugh and Jane that would match their age ect. Looking at the 1851 census for Hugh and Ellen I was thinking  about their other daughter Jane age 15 born Llandysilio if Henry might have been her son. I shall start looking at that possibility next.  Henry married Elizabeth Williams in a civil marriage at Bangor in 1895 which I found on the bmd north wales site. I will get a copy of the certificate. Looking back at some my family's tree I've done they quite often had two or more forenames and would swop and change from one to the other over the years too, all part of the puzzle eh !. many thanks again it all helps. Oh and no you haven't confused things any more  :)
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 February 15 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Well have been searching the archives of "The North Wales Chronicle" and found a piece on Henry Jones of 14 well st menai dated 8 may 1908. It says he and his (half brother) William Jones were found on licensed premises during prohibited hours. The pub was the Manchester Arms and his half brother lived at Brook Row bangor. Also a few other articles concerning boat races on the menai mentions a Henry Jones and William Jones amongst others. Back to more searching :)
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Another Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 July 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
This wouldn't be the same Jane Ellen Jones who married Walter Lovell in Colchester in September 1919

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 July 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi yes it is :)
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Another Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 July 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi yes it is :)

So many Jones from Anglesey , and many Jane Ellen Jones. I thought they may have been part of my family history but I drew a blank. I believe Walter and Jane Ellen Lovell settled in Letchworth and had eight children, so not sure if they are relevant to me. This particular Walter Lovell was born in Silverstone Northampton, not Stepney where my family originated from

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 July 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
The Walter Lovell in our tree was born in Silverstone he and Jane had 7 children
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Another Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 06:57 BST (UK) »
The Walter Lovell in our tree was born in Silverstone he and Jane had 7 children
That's where I drew a blank the Walter Lovell I was looking for was born in Stepney in 1891 and I believed he married Jane Ellen Jones born in 1898 in Anglesey.  The trail goes cold after that so I now believe it not to be the same Walter Lovell. did the lovells you are searching for settle in letchworth ? as at that point I stopped searching.