Author Topic: Which Alexander Cameron was born in the "shaddow of Ben Nevis"  (Read 11115 times)

Offline wavrow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Alexander Cameron was born in the "shaddow of Ben Nevis"
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi to all,  My g.g.grandmother was Mary Cameron born about 1813 (I think), her father was an Alexander Cameron who was an inkeeper at Unachan. She married Donald Cameron at Kilmonivaig 17 Jan 1833. He was a blacksmith at Blarour. Later Mary married a Munro (my g.g.grandfather) and migrated to Australia. On her death certificate her father was named Alexander and mother Janet. She had a sister Ann who married James Mackay 1834. Hope I'm not confusing any issues here but so many Camerons to get confused about.
Kaye

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi RM,

Here's something to consider for the birth of Alexander but Skoosh will need to help with the geography  ;D

According to the recent passing of Charles Kennedy, he was buried "in the shadow of Ben Nevis" !!!

States "Clunes, Achnacarry"..........

Close for Inverness-shire as it seems in earlier times Lochaber came under "Inverness-Shire"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clunes,_Lochaber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochaber

Annie

ADDED.........Maybe you need to broaden your search by a couple of years as people do lose their memory in old age & you mentioned the Canadian census having his b 1814 - 1818 so could even be 1812 - 1818 (not to big a gap) as I've had ages varying by not far off 10yrs  ;D

ADDED...I looked further & it's called "Caol" - Kilmallie but no births so I tried leaving County/City blank & for 1810 - 1820 there are 22 matches for 23p
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 11:40 BST (UK) »
Folks, a very vague term this shadow business, I wouldn't fancy running from Ben Nevis to Clunes for the toilet!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
Folks, a very vague term this shadow business, I wouldn't fancy running from Ben Nevis to Clunes for the toilet!  ;D

;D ;D

Skoosh,

It seems to have been a "borderline" term & as RM has discounted the others (Inverness), I think this would be a good alternative as it actually has on SP "Kilmallie (Inverness)???

The strange thing is........If you select County/City "Inverness" & Parish "Kilmallie (Inverness) together nothing comes up for ANY Cameron b 1538 - 1854  ???

I found it by leaving the (County/City) Blank & only selected (Parish) Kilmallie (Inveness)  ::)

I would certainly take a chance as it is still "classed" as what has been verified as "Inverness"   :P

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi to all,  My g.g.grandmother was Mary Cameron born about 1813 (I think), her father was an Alexander Cameron who was an inkeeper at Unachan. ....

Hi there Kaye  :) Maybe start a new thread with your family line otherwise your post may get a little  lost on this older post by RM.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amalfa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 May 19 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi:

Apologies for posting so late to this thread; I just discovered this message through a Google Search for Alexander Cameron!

The Alexander Cameron you are seeking is my GG grandfather. Our family records indicate that he was born in 1814, and this is the year that is also given in the newspaper article announcing his death in 1901. However, as you have found, a census record gives his birth year as 1815.

Here is a quote from the 1901 newspaper article: "The late Mr. Cameron was born in Inverness, near the foot of Ben Nevis in 1814." I was told that he immigrated to Canada in the year he was born.

As for his parents, I am still trying to pin them down. I was told his father's name was Ewen, and that his mother was also a Cameron.

Please let me know if there is other information you are seeking, and I will try to help.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 May 19 06:46 BST (UK) »
There was a Cameron-ising campaign amongst Lochiel's tenantry in Lochaber whereby folk who had older surnames than Cameron were obliged to take that name.
 The Strathspey Grant's endured the same policy & that people who appeared in an old Rental with predominantly Gaelic names, or patronymics, were listed in a later Rental as Grant's.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 May 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
The 22 Feb 1814 birth in Kilmorack is reasonably similar to the 18 Feb 1815 birth noted in the 1901 census. I've looked up Kilmorack and see that it is not far from Inverness and situated in hill and mountain pastures with the western portion of the parish "exceedingly mountainous". I can't tell how far it is from Ben Nevis. Thoughts? Could this be a possibility for me?  :-\
No. You cannot see Ben Nevis from any house in the parish of Kilmorack.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 May 19 10:57 BST (UK) »
Here's something to consider for the birth of Alexander but Skoosh will need to help with the geography  ;D
According to the recent passing of Charles Kennedy, he was buried "in the shadow of Ben Nevis" !!!
States "Clunes, Achnacarry"..........
Close for Inverness-shire as it seems in earlier times Lochaber came under "Inverness-Shire"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clunes,_Lochaber
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochaber/
Lochaber was always part of the county of Inverness, though until the establishment of Highland Council in the late 20th century its boundaries were not formally defined. It certainly included the parishes of Kilmallie and Kilmonivaig, and hence Achnacarry, which is in the parish of Kilmallie.

I looked further & it's called "Caol" - Kilmallie
Caol is on the north shore of Loch Linnhe, on what used to be the Moss of Corpach, a couple of miles from Fort William, betwen the river and the canal. It is in the parish of Kilmallie. On the first edition of the six-inch Ordnance Survey map it is shown as an area containing a handful of crofts. These days it is a large housing estate. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=56.8377&lon=-5.1021&layers=5&right=BingHyb
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.