Author Topic: Tristram Moore born Derry about 1760-1770  (Read 2926 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tristram Moore born Derry about 1760-1770
« on: Sunday 01 February 15 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise if birth / christening records survive from about 1760-1770 for Derry, please? Tristram Moore was convicted as a rebel at Newton Derry and transported to Australia arriving in October 1802 on Atlas 2. He was likely a Protestant and I don't know which parish. One hundred years later in Drumachose there were Moores in Carrowreagh and Carrowclare including 1800-1850 a Tristram Moore and his son with same name. I don't know if they are related to my Tristram Moore. Any suggestions to investigate records for mid 1700's will be appreciated.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tristram Moore born Derry about 1760-1770
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello, and welcome to roots chat.

I found this information from a periodical magazine? Historical Studies, Vol 16, Australia, you may already have this:
"Tristram Moore was a Presbyterian of Broughton (or Ballyorum?), in Co. Derry and about 30 years old when he was sentenced to death by court-martial at Newton Derry in July 1798 for being a United Irishman and a captain in the rebel army." His sentence was commuted and he was transported to Australia in 1802.

I don't recognize place name Broughton or Ballyorum, the Newton referred to is probably Newton Limavady  , the Newton has since been dropped from the name.

He may also be the Tristram Moore mentioned in the Belfast Newsletter of 21st Sept. 1798, I don't have full access to that record, I think it uses character recognition software so is difficult to read

http://forrestresearchservices.com/belfast.htm

I don't see any church records for him but if he was Presbyterian the chances of a birth record from the 1700's is highly unlikely.

Tristram Moore born 1818 married  in the Limavady in 1850, father Solomon, possible relation

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGXW-9NP
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The townland mentioned by joemc may be BROIGHTER which is near Carrowreagh/clare.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just another piece of information
A Tristram Moore appears in the Flax Growers Bounty list farming in the parish Tamlaght Finlagan in which Broighter is a townland in 1796 he received one wheel in the bounty.Quite a few Moores also appear in the townlands of Carrowreagh/Clare in the 1740 protestant census
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 February 15 02:01 GMT (UK) »
joemc and kingskerswell, thankyou for your very helpful replies. It gives me some leads and more information. MarilynL