Author Topic: look up Census for 1841 and 1851 re David Walker and Charlotte Clementin Clement  (Read 10355 times)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I amtrying to trace back info on

WALKER David who marries Charlotte Clementina Clement 1 August 1853...

A Daughter Jane Charlotte born c1842 or 1844, christened 15 Aug 1853 at Deptford, left London 27 Sep 1853 and arrived on the Ameer at Port Phillip (Victoria Aus) 2 Feb 1854 when ages are given as Charlotte 33, David 39 and Jane 8.

David & Charlotte marry a few weeks before on 1 Aug 1853 St Lukes Charlton   his father = Matthew Walker and Her father = William Clement....

David is a Widow and Charlotte is Spinster....

Is it possible to try and find David and Charlotte on the 1841 census and 1851 census....  I think he is born 1810 in Newcastle on Tyne and Charlotte is born C 1820 Lewisham...

I can't find a previous marriage for David but wonder if Jane Charlotte is a daughter from his first wife or Charlotte's daughter???

Any help would be much appreciated....

Ps Jane Charlotte marries George Birkett in Victoria Aus. about 1858.....

Cheran 8)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: look up Census for 1841 and 1851 re David Walker and Charlotte Clementin Clement
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you any idea what David's occupation was before immigration?

What did he do when he came to Australia?

Might help sift him from other David WALKERs  ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: look up Census for 1841 and 1851 re David Walker and Charlotte Clementin Clement
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 February 15 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Might help:

Free BMD Marriages
1853 Jul-Aug-Sep, Vol 1d, p972
Registration District: Lewisham
Charlotte CLEMENT
David WALKER

The child, Jane, was baptised as Jane Charlotte Clement Walker so no clues there as to whose daughter she is.

I can't see any of them (with any certainty) in 1851 or 1841, nor can I identify a birth (either as CLEMENT or as WALKER) on FreeBmd which is a good enough match to be sure.

I read the age for Charlotte on the passenger list for the Ameer as 53 but........  ???  :-\  The list is not very clearly written, and the transcription gives 33.

I do see some information re David WALKER's birth but I think you have it.  Happy to post if you don't.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 15 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you any idea what David's occupation was before immigration?

What did he do when he came to Australia?

Might help sift him from other David WALKERs  ;D

Sue

On his marriage cert it records
a Laborer and his father Matthew is Mariner...  I also found a record showing a David Walker born 1810 Northumberland as a Mariner on family search but no details....

Thanks

Cheran 8)

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 February 15 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Is this his death?

Victoria 1880 #3994
David WALKER, 70
FATHER'S NAME:   Matthew
MOTHER'S NAME:   Elizabeth Gardner

If this is him then this would seem to be his burial:
Dunolly Old Pioneers Cemetery
David WALKER, 70
DEATH DATE:   9 May 1880

FreeReg has this baptism which fits:
http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

All Saints, Newcastle on Tyne, County: Northumberland
BaptismDate   22 Apr 1810
Forename   David
Father's Forename   Matthew
Mother's Forename   Elizabeth
Father's Surname   WALKER
Abode:   Newcastle
Father's Occupation   Mar.
Notes:
4th son of Matthew and Elizabeth - daughter of John Gardner Watm. Of this parish

I don't know what "Watm." is short for. Watchman??  I assume "Mar." is Mariner  :-\

FamilySearch baptism index has his birthdate as 30 March, 1810.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 February 15 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Judith

that is David so thanks for all the extra bits...

I just can't find him or Charlotte in 1841 and 1851  .....

I have found Charlotte Clementina Clement Baptism 02 May 1821 and gives her birth 4 nov 1820

Thanks again still searching

Cheran ::)

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 06:30 GMT (UK) »
There are some on-line trees for David and Charlotte but some of them are a bit suss I think.

I should have given the reference for Jane's baptism - it's on FamilySearch and also on London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 which has the image of the register.

At st Paul's Deptford,
baptised 15 August, 1853
Jane Charlotte Clement WALKER
Parents: David, mariner, and Charlotte
Abode: New Town

Charlotte's baptism is on FamilySearch as well as London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 which has the image of the register.

At St Paul's Deptford, Kent, Borough of Lewisham
Born 4 Nov 1920, Baptised: 2 May 1821
Charlotte Clementina CLEMENT
Parents: William, shipwright DY, Mary
Abode: Victory St.
DY would be short for DockYard

There are some other baptisms which may be siblings for Charlotte.  It's difficult to separate them as some of the birthdates are too close together to be from the same parents.

I'm just going to list them with in birth order.  All have father listed as William, sometimes with occupation "shipwright DY" which is what is given for Charlotte's father. Sometimes the mother is listed as "Mary" sometimes "Mary Ann".  All with surname CLEMENT.

Margaret, born 7 August 1817, baptised 7 September 1817
Mother listed as 'Mary Ann', living at Victory St, father shipwright.
George Bingle, born 10 July 1821, baptised 1 August, 1821
Harriett Jane, born 20 June 1822, baptised 23 July 1822. 
Laura Betsy, born 11 May 1825, baptised 12 June, 1825. 

It is the overlap for George Bingle CLEMENT and your Charlotte which is puzzling - George's mother is listed as 'Mary Ann' while Charlotte's is plain 'Mary'

There are 2 other baptisms at St Nicholas, Deptford, both with parents William and Mary CLEMENT, but this man is listed as a labourer, so I suspect they are not the same couple especially as one of the baptisms is a week after the baptism of Margaret in 1817.

What a blessing to have your Charlotte with two distinctive forenames!  ;D

Judith who is not sure if I've just muddied the waters.  :-\

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 20:18 GMT (UK) »

Judith

Many thanks the water has got a little more muddy.....

I have found there is a will in the British Archives for William Clement Shipwright Deptford that wonder if that would shed any more light....

Thanks Again....

Would the census then have William as a shipwright in Deptford I wonder????

Cheran 8)

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
UK National Archives site's will for William Clement, shipwright of Deptford is dated 1682 so it seems unlikely that it will help in this search.

There are a couple of others which may or may not be useful, as none of them fit exactly.

This one just gives his occupation as 'labourer' and wrong spelling.

Will of William Clements, Labourer in Her Majesty's Victualling Yard of Deptford , Kent
Held by:   The National Archives - Prerogative Court of Canterbury
Date:   16 September 1854
Reference:   PROB 11/2197/242

This one says occupation 'servant' and give a couple of alternate names. Unfortunately this chap dies too early to be on a census.
Will of William Clement or William Clements Warby otherwise Clement Warby, Servant of Deptford , .Held by:   The National Archives - Prerogative Court of Canterbury
Date:   25 July 1836
Reference:   PROB 11/1865/120

These wills only cost £3.30 each and are downloaded immediately, however, I'm not sure they'll help.

I cannot see any of these people on the 1841 or 1851 censuses - not any of the CLEMENT families, not David WALKER.   ???

Judith