Author Topic: Ann Slessor - more Old Deer Slessors...  (Read 5315 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Slessor - more Old Deer Slessors...
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 March 18 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Are you connected to this family?

Unfortunately, not that I can immediately see - they came up in my general search for Slessors, when trying to find where my 4 x great grandmother, Ann Slessor, fits in the bewildering array of Slessors in Aberdeenshire. Sadly, I'm no closer to finding out where that is than I was in 2015, when I first posted this thread  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline SusanGwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 March 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for info. I am just starting search so was keen to see if we were already in a tree. John Mutch Slessor is definitely him. Interesting news they moved around. Old Meldrum was mentioned by my Granny Ella - she lived to 101 1/2 in St Andrews. John died in WW1, Jeannie was a nurse who died in the flu epidemic. The other daughter must have died as a child. Nan and Sandy produced no offspring and so this Slessor line has died out. Off to search round and see what can find. Btw saw a thread somewhere that said Deer Slessors were rellies of Jobn Slezer the military architect and guard captain who came over from Germany or Holland and was a big shot at court til he went bust! He has a wikki entry. Thanks again.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 March 18 09:05 GMT (UK) »
The Surnames of Scotland says, "Slassor, Slesser, Slessor. All recorded in Abedeenshire. Robert Sleller (perhaps an error for Slesser), burgess of Aberdeen, 1487 .... In 1696 several Slessors were recorded in the parish of Peterhead .... The name may be of Dutch origin".
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SusanGwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 March 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for info on Old Macher and Meldrum. Old M is a place that crops up in  trees re the famous Mary Slessor and her mum came from Old Meldrum. Her father was Robert and Uncle was John. Am wondering if we are maybe cousins of this branch give  the place similarities? I must of course start  to do things properly now have had this helpful start!

Offline swanandprasad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 October 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
ruthhelen

According to People's ScotlandsPeople 
the son Robert McArthur was christened on 8 July 1806 in New Deer.
I am curious as to where you found the birth date?

There used to be a McArthur tree on the clan website but it has disappeared.
The MacArthur Foundation founder is from this tree (he changed his name)

I haven't gone through every detail but this is the tree on family search.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/portrait/L7F8-BLY
I have doubts about the parents of John husband of Jean Anderson.
I don't know what the source is to his birth in a family in Calander, Perth but it is added by Jim McArthur who i think is the author if the family tree on mcarthur clan website.
if it is correct then his sibling Alexander probably married twice (there is a duplicate)
Let me know if you want the tree as a gedcom.

Harbison, Harbinson, Summerson, Lowery, Spooner, Gale, Hunter, Blakey, Leighton, Ridley, Durham, Newcastle, Co. Down, McArthur, Urquhart, Sangster, Prior, Aberdeen

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 October 21 18:26 BST (UK) »
ruthhelen

Most entries in parish registers only give the date of baptism, some only give the date of birth, others give both. When both are given, indexes tend to show the date of baptism, not birth. I suspect that if you look at the actual entry it will give both in this case.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 October 21 19:31 BST (UK) »
ruthhelen

Most entries in parish registers only give the date of baptism, some only give the date of birth, others give both. When both are given, indexes tend to show the date of baptism, not birth. I suspect that if you look at the actual entry it will give both in this case.

GR2 is correct - there are two dates on the actual record. The entry reads: June 24th, John McArthur in Guilkhorn had a son brought forth by his wife Ann Slessor, baptised 8 July last named Robert....'

However, a closer look at the page reveals that all the entries were actually entered in 1807 - and they're in a random order of birth/baptism dates. It looks like they may have been copied from an original register. So it's possible the date that precedes each entry isn't, in fact, the birth date, but the date (in 1807) that the records were copied into this register. Although 24 June 1806 wouldn't be an unreasonable birth date for a child baptised at the beginning of July...

I was quite excited that this might be about the Slessors in the title - this post keeps popping up every few years, but I'm still no further forward finding out which family of Slessors my Ann Slessor belonged to.  ;D ;D ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 October 21 20:59 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the Registrar just forgot to note that Ann Slessor or McArthur was deceased by 1857?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 October 21 21:17 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the Registrar just forgot to note that Ann Slessor or McArthur was deceased by 1857?

That is the conclusion I’ve come to - as I’ve failed to find any trace of her.