Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Anyone able to photograph a MI in Lilliesleaf Cemetery.  (Read 3898 times)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, I have just learnt today that my 4x  Great Grandparents Robert Wintrup and his wife Douglas Hall and their children have a Headstone in the Lilliesleaf Cemetery.
As the transcriptions were done many years ago, it may not still be standing, but I am hoping it is.
is there anyone on this list that could take a photograph of it for me, this means a great deal to me at present.
As I live in Brisbane Australia, I am willing in exchange for anyone on this list to help in Qld research if I can and also photograph any grave that they might require. I live not far from the Qld Archives so can also so a search their if need be and a day's trip to the Qld State Library is something that I would enjoy to do.
please email me off list if you require any searches in Qld as I have appreciated the help I have obtained this last few weeks via the list.
kind regards Ailsa

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone able to photograph a MI in the Lilliesleaf Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 February 15 14:01 GMT (UK) »
If you get no takers, you might like to try these people:
http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/lilliesleaf.asp
At least they should be able to point you in the right direction. :)

What dates of death do you have for your family members? I am just wondering if they would be in the churchyard or a cemetery? Are they all buried there or does the headstone serve as a 'memorial' too? (Just trying to get a handle on dates)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I am considering joining the borders fhs, as I have so many family in that area and it most likely will be for my benefit, even though I live in Australia.
According to the wonderful details supplied by Alan, it seems the family are in the old village cemetery, if I have read the details correctly.
Robert Wintrup died in 1869 and his wife Douglas Hall died in 1838. Children of Euphemia, Betsy, 4 named Adam and 2 named Thomas are mentioned on the Headstone. I am not certain if they are actually buried there or not as the records I have do not give me details and I cannot locate a burial record for Douglas. From reading the MI, it may be a monument. Robert died in St Boswells (have his certificate), Douglas died in Maxton and no idea at this stage where the children died, but most likely Lilliesleaf, as I do have record of their children being born in Lilliesleaf.
I have some more research to do on this family as yet.
thanks Ailsa

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 February 15 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Alan and Ronald I now have a photo of the Headstone. Many thanks to both for your time and helpfulness. Greatly appreciated Ailsa

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 February 15 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Good news Ailsa!  :)

Out of curiosity did you find out if they are actually buried there or is it just a memorial?

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed with thanks*)Anyone able to photograph a MI in Lilliesleaf Cemetery.
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 February 15 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I think from reading the Headstone it is a Monument that was done some time after the burials. As I cannot find details regarding the burial register (I think very different in Scotland on who holds these compared to NZ or Australian Cemeteries), I cannot be certain who put up the Monument - but it is a great one and I am very proud that whoever in the family did it, did so and that I now have a photo of it. I was also surprised about the names of the children that were on it on which I have no knowledge of 4 Adams and 2 Thomas's etc - none of which are showing on the OPR's - so sounds like born and died very soon after birth. But it gives me lots of clues and so great to have especially when I live in Australia and not able to visit the area myself. Even though it is a monument I feel that they are buried there and the family knew the details. Perhaps one day the records will come to light but for now I am one very happy person.
thanks for asking and thanks for your help and ideas as well.
Ailsa

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed with thanks*)Anyone able to photograph a MI in Lilliesleaf Cemetery.
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 February 15 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I believe there are ways to find out who owns the plots (lairs) in Scotland and possibly who erected the monument - maybe via the church or the local Council?

I am unsure how to go about this but it may be worth starting another thread (provide a link to this one though as the topic is similar) to ask for help with this.

I think there is probably plenty of general information on this findable via a google search, but for a specific burial ground, the rootschatters might be able to tell you to exactly where to enquire.

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 February 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
thanks Ruskie, I have joined the borders family history society which is great and had some wonderful news via Elma re other MI's in the area, but will try this avenue as well regarding who has details to the lairs in Lilliesleaf
regards Ailsa