Author Topic: "A Taste of Old Comber" by Len Ball and Desmond Rainey  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"A Taste of Old Comber" by Len Ball and Desmond Rainey
« on: Tuesday 03 February 15 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

According to Ros Davies' site, at least two of our relations are mentioned in this book.

Am I breaking the rules if I ask for a lookup.

The book is not available from a library in New Zealand or Australia.
Perhaps I should buy it - do you think it would be useful for a New Zealander's home library.

Thank you for any advice.
Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "A Taste of Old Comber" by Len Ball and Desmond Rainey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I have temporarily mislead my copy of this great book. Might I in the meantime direct your attention to www.comberhistoricalsociety.com where you will find much about the authors, and their other books and you could download a free ebook ‘a Comber historical directory’ which might include some of your relatives for example heres the entries for Price

Presse ?, Robert  - listed as one of the 64 subscribers to Comber Farming Society 1818/9 No. 33
Presse,  William,  Tullygarvan,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details   www.askaboutireland.ie and go to their Griffiths section
Price,  David,  Clontonakelly,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details   www.askaboutireland.ie and go to their Griffiths section
Price,  Eliza,  Castleaverry,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details   www.askaboutireland.ie and go to their Griffiths section
Price,  James,  Ballyloughan,  D/654/A3/1B,    Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Price,  John,  Clontonakelly,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details   www.askaboutireland.ie and go to their Griffiths section
Price,  Mary Elizabeth,  Lisbarnett Comber,  Down: North,  Comber,  Square (The),   Ulster Covenant 1912 in  www.proni.gov.uk       relevance
Price,  Robert,  Ballyaltikilligan,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details   www.askaboutireland.ie and go to their Griffiths section
Price,  Robert,  Mill Street      Com’,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details   www.askaboutireland.ie and go to their Griffiths section
Price,  Samuel,  Castle Lane   Com’,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details  www.askaboutireland.ie and go to their Griffiths section

If it is the Price surname then the manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast, will interest you. Visit if you can give them warning helps, if you cant because Oz is along way, then I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant ie Comber and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for
PRICE      22p33T, 23p33 35 (OR volumes 33, 35,) 76 Typed 1936
PRICE-WILLIAMS   52
Hoping this is includes new information for you
good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 15 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim,
Thank you for your very full answer.
I will check Ros Davies' site again to see how many of our names are in "A Taste of Old Comber" before I make a decision as to buying the book.
I had not thought of using the Linenhall Library. We (researchers here in NZ) have a good PRICE (of Comber) family tree from about 1845. It would be wonderful if we could stretch that back another generation or two.
Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 15 12:08 GMT (UK) »
If you think your relatives are mentioned in this book why not try and get in touch with Len Ball or Desmond Rainey,

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 February 15 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rathmore

That is a very good idea.

Jean