Author Topic: George William John Coupland  (Read 2243 times)

Offline EmmaPettit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George William John Coupland
« on: Tuesday 03 February 15 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I’m hoping someone can help. I’m a little confused and unsure how to work this out. I have a relative that was married to a gentlemen by the name of George William John Coupland. They were married in Cottenham, Cambridgeshire. In the parish registers for their Marriage is says that George is a bachelor of Leith Edinburgh and next to his banns it has written St Nicholas Leiton Southend. I am assuming he is born in Scotland. How do I find his birth records.
Pettit -Cambridgeshire UK - QLD Australia
Bird - Huntingdonshire UK - QLD Australia
Rickert - Germany-Australia
Ford - QLD Australia
Hussey - New Hampshire USA
Ellis - New Hampshire USA - QLD Australia
Bickford, Hall, Lilley, Stearn, Savidge

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George William John Coupland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Assuming he was born after 1855, the only way to access Scottish birth certificates is via the pay-to-view site ScotlandsPeople. You will need to buy credits but it's not expensive, and if you can locate the right person in the index you can download the actual birth certificate if he was born 100 years ago or earlier. If his birth was more recent than that then you can order a copy of the birth certificate.

The marriage certificate appears to imply he was from Leith, Edinburgh but at the time of the banns being read was living in the parish of St Nicholas in Southend, but I'm not familiar with that part of the country so have no idea whether there's a Leiton there or not.

If you give some dates - his age at marriage and the date of his marriage - people her can give you more help.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline heymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Just using the free search facilities on Scotlandspeople, I found two George Williams (I don't know if they are Johns too) both born in 1926. One registered in Colinton, Edinburgh and the other in George Square, Edinburgh. I'm not sure if they are the same person. Hope this helps.
Brian
Strachan,Wood,Leiper,Craig,King,Smith,Shearer,Reid,Wilson,Galloway,Buthlay,McLean.
Aberdeen,Slains,Nigg, Findon,Portlethen,Monquhitter,Cumineston,Banff,Oldmeldrum

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the parent's names? this marriage did it take place in 1949 in Cambridge.. There is also a death for a George William J Coupland in June 1974 Cambridge age 48 gives a birth date of 3 February 1926 ..Unfortunately you can not view the birth record as the images of the statutory records only goes to 1913 ...But you can order the birth certificate Think the best thing to do if you have his parent's names is to look for a marriage for them to see where they were living www.scotlandspeople.gov

Offline EmmaPettit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 01:02 GMT (UK) »
George was born 3 Feb 1926 and his father is listed as James Kirkpatrick, he was married to Sybil Croxon in 1949 in Cottenham. George died in 1973 in Cambridgeshire. In the parish register his occupation is listed as being engineer. That is all the information I have on him.

Thanks all for the information. Hopefully I can track more information down :)
Pettit -Cambridgeshire UK - QLD Australia
Bird - Huntingdonshire UK - QLD Australia
Rickert - Germany-Australia
Ford - QLD Australia
Hussey - New Hampshire USA
Ellis - New Hampshire USA - QLD Australia
Bickford, Hall, Lilley, Stearn, Savidge