Author Topic: Idris Green. WW1 soldier.  (Read 3471 times)

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Idris Green. WW1 soldier.
« on: Tuesday 03 February 15 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have been researching Idris green who is commerated on the war memorial at Bushey and St james`s. He married Annie Beament in Watford in early 1916 and was killed in November 1918. I have found alot of information about his life, what i am hoping is that someone may have a photograph of him or Annie. She was a servant at 29 Vale Road, Bushey in 1911.I dont think she remarried and i havent found any evidence of a child from him. It would be lovely if one of you rootchatters is a relation of hers and  have some new information about them. His biograhy will be going online later this year as part of the WW1 exhibition that we had last August at the Bushey Academy.

I wait in anticipation of some good news,

Regards,

jackie.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Idris Green. WW1 soldier.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

PM sent to Jackie re "a 1911 relative" [ Living possibility rules apply ]

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 20:44 GMT (UK) »
hi ray.

I need to make one correction, Idris Green died in France November 1916. He was reported missing at first and it was in 1918 that he was officially declared as having died in 1916. I also saw the birth for Dorothy in 1914 and wondered if she was Annie`s daughter. Idris was in Watford in 1915 at a military training camp because his unit the Sherwood Foresters were sent to Dublin from there to quell the Dublin Uprising. Sadly alot of the soldiers were massacared as they were not fully trained and badly equipped. It would be lovely if there is someone related to Annie or her siblings, that could have a picture of Idris. It would make his autobiography complete.

Thank you for your help Ray. I hope maddie sees this as she has Beament connections.

Regards.

Jackie

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 21:04 GMT (UK) »
His WW1 Army Records do not seem to have survived. That may have indicated the marriage, any children born but perhaps not his. The latter seems to generate paperwork because the Army does not want to pay out. Mean spirit but it at least generates good information.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
HI Jackie

" I hope maddie sees this as she has Beament connections."

Yup, as does a neighbour of mine.
Next step to attempt to see any poss connections (to either).

Of course the baby may be her other (unmarried) sister's child.
Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi both

Sorry for arriving late to this post Jackie, unfortunately Annie is not one of mine, her father Henry, who was a carpenter in Poplar, hails from Crewkerne Somerset & although the name is the same I haven't been able to find any connection back to Somerset for my lot as yet. :D

OK Ray, who is your neighbour. ;)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 February 15 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I knew that family rang a bell, I had made notes ages ago. :o

Annie's mother was Mary & by 1900 the family were living in Diamond Road North Watford. Sadly Mary was accidentally burnt to death in the garden shed. The inquest took place in June 1900 & reported that Mary had told her children she was going to turn some rats out of the outhouse & after tipping paraffin down the rat hole lit a match & set it alight, unfortunately her clothes also caught fire & in her panic she spilt even more of the paraffin on herself. The body was almost burnt to a cinder. How awful for the children to have found their mother like that.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 February 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
hi maddie.

Its good to have you on board again. How sad it was to read about Annie`s mother. Where did you find that information?  I know its a long shot hoping that there might a picture of Idris Green out there somewhere but it would be good to complete his biography.

Ray,

Who is your neighbour, it would be great if they come from this line of Beaments.

Look forward to hearing from you soon,

jackie.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 February 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, well done to you all. What an interesting thread, great to see it unfold. Good work Maddie and luckily you did keep your notes. It would have been wonderful if that Beament was one of Maddie's ancestors. I expect Idris Green is not related to James Green who married Emma Goodman by any chance.