Author Topic: Marriage or Death for Elizabeth Jane Davenport  (Read 20324 times)

Offline 4kithnkin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Marriage or Death for Elizabeth Jane Davenport
« on: Tuesday 03 February 15 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm searching on behalf of my niece's husband and have looked through usual archives, sites and online resources for Queensland, couldn't find anything for Elizabeth 'Jane' Davenport b 1868 in England to Edwin Davenport and Sarah Rawlings. We don't have her married name.

Apparently she immigrated to Australia in early 1900s. She may not have married, and may not have lived in Qld. I found a tree with her siblings and brother Edwin Davenport jr. who died in Aust., Jane was not documented on this tree.
This isn't much to go on, hoping someone searching might find a connection.

The only clue is the photo   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eoa/ 

Would appreciate any assistance with this. Thanks for your time  :)
Kate

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage or Death for Elizabeth Jane Davenport
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Jane does not appear on the 1871 census living with Edwin and Sarah DAVENPORT and their daughters Florence 5 years and Ada 18 months living in Lambeth, Surrey.

Is this the 1868 birth for your Elizabeth Jane?

Births Mar 1868   
DAVENPORT    Elizabeth Jane Wincanton 5c/548
The district Wincanton spans the boundaries of the counties of Dorset and Somerset

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 23:44 GMT (UK) »
The only family trees that I am seeing have (Albert) Edwin DAVENPORT, son of Edwin and Sarah, dying in Middlesex in 1952.

Do you have more information on the photo and how it relates to the particular family you are researching?  Who is Chas. JOHNSON and who owns the photo album?

Debra  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Think you are trying to link to the wrong family.  Edwin Davenport and Sarah Rawlings married in Lambeth, London, all their children baptised in Lambeth and they lived in Lambeth on the census.   They certainly do not appear to have had a daughter with this name and their son, as has been pointed out already, was named Edwin Albert Davenport b.1874 (reg'd as Albert Edwin but baptised and known as Edwin Albert) and he remained in the UK where he died in 1952.

So, if we take a step forward, where/when did 'your' Edwin die in Australia?   Where in England did 'your' Edwin and sister Elizabeth Jane come from?   They certainly were not children of Edwin Davenport and Sarah Rawlings.

The birth mentioned by Cando can't be the one as that child died in the same quarter of birth.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 01:56 GMT (UK) »
The birth mentioned by Cando can't be the one as that child died in the same quarter of birth.

Noticed that as well...I should have posted the death...apologies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morinish,_Queensland

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 02:04 GMT (UK) »
I found an E.Davenport arriving in Sydney in 1910 on findmypast, but as I don't have a subscription I can't go any further with that entry.

Then I checked in Trove and found an Elizabeth Davenport cited as Plaintiff in a court case for the estate of James Henry Thomas Joyce ex Policeman who died in May 1912. He had a wife and children and the funeral notices etc are also in Trove.

He died Intestate and the notice with Elizabeth Davenport as Plaintiff could indicate that she was somehow involved with James Joyce. Maybe a Rootschatter with more experience than me for searching in New South Wales might be able to find some more information on this.

The funeral notice is in the Sydney Morning Herald on 16th May 1912. The following year there are memorials from the family.(No mention of Elizabeth Davenport)

The notice in Trove for the court case for James Joyce being Intestate when he died in also in the Sydney Morning Herald on 2nd June 1914.  I will try to attach a copy of this article.

this Elizabeth Davenport may not be "your" Elizabeth of course.

Noells

Anderson,Fry,Poad, Fort, -England, Australia
McCulloch - Scotland, Australia
O'Shea, Shea, Egan - Ireland, Australia
Sternberg - Germany

Offline 4kithnkin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is Elizabeth Jane's birth, forgot to mention, we have the certificate. She was born 15 Feb 1868 Wincanton, Bruton, Somerset. Father Edwin is Steam Engine Boilermaker journeyman. Mother is Sarah Rawlings. Residence is High St. Bruton.

Thanks,
Kate

Elizabeth Jane does not appear on the 1871 census living with Edwin and Sarah DAVENPORT and their daughters Florence 5 years and Ada 18 months living in Lambeth, Surrey.

Is this the 1868 birth for your Elizabeth Jane?

Births Mar 1868   
DAVENPORT    Elizabeth Jane Wincanton 5c/548
The district Wincanton spans the boundaries of the counties of Dorset and Somerset

Cando

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 02:18 GMT (UK) »
That child did not survive.

Noticed that as well...I should have posted the death...apologies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morinish,_Queensland

The easiest thing to do here I think is to tell us who is the ancestor of your niece's husband and we can try to find an Elizabeth Jane connected to the family.

Debra  :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Deaths Mar 1868 
DAVENPORT    Elizabeth Jane    0 years    Wincanton    5c/370

This is obviously the death of the child born the same quarter.

In 1911 Edwin and Sarah DAVENPORT stated they had 10 children 7 of whom were living.

I can see on the various census Florence, Ada A, Alice E, Albert E, Gertrude Jane, Lily G and Walter.

Do you have any other birth certificates of their children to whom you can connect your research?

Cando