Author Topic: John Baker b 1800 & Mary Hubbard b 1805 Wadhurst, Sussex  (Read 2384 times)

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Baker b 1800 & Mary Hubbard b 1805 Wadhurst, Sussex
« on: Wednesday 04 February 15 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Having had some good luck this week with help from friends on rootschat, I will give it another go on another brick wall. John Baker was born 1800 in Lamberhurst, Kent according to what I have, but he married and spent his adult life in Wadhurst, Sussex. His wife, Mary Hubbard, was born in Wadhurst and died there. What I am unsure about is who John Baker married after Mary's death around 1840 (she had a child in 1840 and she was not present by the 1841 census). John ended up emigrating to NY state, USA, but he went with his second wife who was named Mary also, probably Mary Ann, according to US census records, but no last name is given for her. I can't find her death record or grave in the US either. In 1841 John Baker was a widower in Wadhurst and by 1851 he is still single and listed as "pauper" in the census. He next appears in 1865 in Hamilton, Madison cty, NY with a wife Mary. Mary is still with him when he last appears in the 1880 census. Each census report has Mary born in a different year, from 1804 to 1825, but they indicate that the couple was married in England. Any help would be so very greatly appreciated!

Katharine
Scotland: Reid

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Baker b 1800 & Mary Hubbard b 1805 Wadhurst, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Katherine

I found  Burial for Mary.

At Wadhurst 28 April 1841
Aged 35
Wife of John

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
A possible?

Marriages Jun 1851   
Baker    John Thomas        Ticehurst    7   691    

on the same page  Mary Ann Lansdell   

Wadhurst comes under the Ticehurst registration district. 

NB: some online trees give Mary Ann Lansdell married to one of the others on the page -     Iden Henham.     

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you omega! Yes, that would be his first wife's burial. So now we know he married after April 1851 to the other Mary or Mary Ann!

Thanks, groom, that could be my John on the June 1851 marriages, as I have his father as "probably Thomas". But it does look like Mary Ann Lansdell did marry that Henham guy, as I found another record of their marriage. I looked at the original document and there are some 200+ pages in the Marriages June 1851 record! I suppose I could go through and search for Mary Anns, but that will take quite a while.

Maybe they were married somewhere else, but as John was a "pauper" in the 1851 census, I doubt he would have been able to travel far with a bunch of young children! I have also scoured the records for any mention of Mary Ann's last name in the U.S. census or a death record and cannot find anything.
Scotland: Reid