Author Topic: Graveyard in Glasgow  (Read 7702 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyard in Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Actually, I got the index for her death from Scotland's People, and it gives Martha Street on it and since I posted, I have found out that is where the record office is. I will be ordering the death cert next week, so I'm hoping it will give her address in Glasgow, and see what can happen from there  ;D
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck with that Annie.

Skoosh

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I will be ordering the death cert next week

Is this death before 31 December 1964? Because if so, you don't need to order the certificate, you can just download a digital image from Scotland's People. Much cheaper!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Death was in 1985 :) But thank you all for helping me out
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
By 1985 Martha Street was the Registry Office for the whole of Glasgow - the death certificate when it arrives should tell you the place of death and last known address (if different).

The Cemetery records have been digitised but are not yet available to the Public - they are currently held by the City Archives at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and all enquiries to the council cemeteries department will refer you to the Mitchell. Staff at the Mitchell will conduct a search of the digital records for you for a fee (you would need to contact them for full details) which varies according to the amount of searching required. (previously the Council Cemetery Department quoted figures around £60 per hour for searching but staff at the Mitchell say that their fees are much lower than this)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hadn't realised that this was so recent, most probably a cremation.

Skoosh.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 February 15 00:47 GMT (UK) »
If you could check the archives of local newspapers you may be lucky enough to find a death announcement. It will give details of the funeral.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 February 15 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone - never thought to have checked newspapers  :) She worked in Glasgow from the age of 15, never married and worked for a family all her life. Will see what happens when we get the death cert :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 February 15 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Annie, for intimations the Evening Times is the most likely, the Glasgow Herald was more or less for the prominenti. :)

Skoosh.