Author Topic: How much did nineteenth century Irish people move around?  (Read 4692 times)

Offline NewHudsonRyans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How much did nineteenth century Irish people move around?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 February 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the interesting responses.

There was a Lynch family living in Foilnamuck, next door to Cooneen, listed in Griffith's.  I've been working on the RYAN and LYNCH families for some time, and have ordered and studied copies of the Valuation records and successive updates through the years.  The LYNCH family members who took over the lease do match some of my ancestors' names but then they were very common names:  Patrick, Michael, Thomas.  The woman living in Foilnamuck in the Valuation was Ellen Lynch.  Presumably she was a widow.  Notably there are no descendants named Ellen in any of the Lynch families related to me.

It puzzles me, where my ancestor MICHAEL LYNCH was living at this time, if not in that house.  I guess it's marginally possible that ELLEN was his mother and that he was living there, but I doubt it.  He must have married circa 1828 as his kids PATRICK, THOMAS, and BRIDGET were born in succeeding years starting around 1830.

Heywood, I have tracked the Cooneen Roger/Rody Ryan family through the years and I don't think they are (directly) related to my MICHAEL RYAN.  Their house is long gone but interestingly, when I visited the area in 2008 I met an older man who dimly recalled a family living there, and he was in his mid 80s at the time.

Erin2012, no addresses were listed on the marriage or baptismal records in the parish register.  The people all emigrated to northwestern Pennsylvania and worked in the coal mines, which leads me to think that my ancestors may really have lived closer to Silvermines or Ballingarry.  Quite sadly my ancestors were not good at record-keeping and actually most of my dad's family had forgotten nearly everything about their origins.

-- Mike