Author Topic: Rose McBride Portaferry  (Read 4901 times)

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rose McBride Portaferry
« on: Thursday 05 February 15 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall with Rose, she was born 18/02/1877 in Portaferry , parents Archibald McBride and Eliza Tomelty. I have her on the 1901 census, living at High Street, Portaferry but after that....... nothing !!!! have tried GRONI, PRONI and visited Portaferry but had no luck. Can anyone help..... Please !!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROSE McBRIDE PORTAFERRY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 February 15 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 February 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Recap
Archibald McBride married Eliza Tomelty b 1841 in 1901 census, b 1837 in 1911 census
Children
Samuel b~1861
Sarah b~1873
Rose, b 18/02/1877
Archie b~1881

These children are identical to those of Alexander McBride as listed by ‘Edward Graham’ in Ros Davies Co Down website. I think the person to contact for explanation is Edward  Graham, if you look up Ros Davies Roll Call of messages under McBride see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/WORDS/RollCall2.

I found that out after I had produced below
McBride, Archie b1881
see http://www.ancestryireland.com for Archibald McBride birth details ie buy crediits
see familysearch.org for a McBride b 1881 who emigrated to USA in 1902 and was living with his wife Cecilia who is 2 years younger than him their residence:in 1910 was Wellston, St Louis, Missouri, United States. Could this Archie have returned to look after his mother ? I think this is a red herring   

I started with http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies and realised I needed to understand the way some of the townlands of the adjoining civil parishes of Castleboy, Ballytrustan and Witter are separated and lie within Ballyphilip parish. Ros has a map!   Then using her surnames databases I found the earliest McBride appears to be

Samuel McBRIDE . Ballyphilip of Church St, Portaferry; on a Rent Roll 1775-76 MSGIIG but his address is awkward in connecting him to the next wave of connectable McBrides , unless he is the father.

This next group had sufficient records to formulate a tree

A. Alexander McBRIDE .bbb 1749 Ballytrustan  of Corrogue; died 12 Jan 1830 aged 81; husband of Sarah Welsh b~ 1757 who died 6 Nov 1827 aged 70; father of ... buried Templecranny graveyard MIs
children
A1.  Samuel McBRIDE  b~1782 Ballytrustan of Corrogue; ; husband of Jane b~1782 who died 27 May 1882 aged 78 died 13 Sep 1859 aged 77 & buried Templecranny graveyard MIsson of Alexander McBride & Sarah Welsh; husband of Jane who died 27 May 1882 aged 78; father of
children
A1.2  Sarah McBRIDE who died 5 Mar 1849 aged 11 ; died 13 Sep 1859 aged 77 & buried Templecranny graveyard MIs
A2.  Alexander McBRIDE Alexander;  [An Alexander McBRIDE b 1786 . Ballyphilip  of Corrogue/Corrock; died 25 Apr 1849 aged 63; buried Templecranny graveyard MIs]

Then I ran into difficulties in connecting the following strands B, C and D.  B and C contain either an amazing coinicidence or two sisters getting married or two brothers getting married or its something else and just possibly older transcription errors etc.
B.  Henry McBride binbb 1819  m  dmy xxxx
children
B.1  Archibald McBRIDE bbb 1837 . Down & Ballyphilip  son of Henry McBride ; married Eliza Tomelty 12 Dec 1855 in Downpatrick; marriage listed by UHF
children
B1.1  Mary b. 25 Oct 1860
B1.2  Lizzie b. 31 Aug 1873 (regd. Portaferry) CR

C  unknown McBride
children
C1.  Alexander McBRIDE bbb1837   Down married Elizabeth Tomelty in Downpatrick 12 Dec 1855
children
Margaret Ann b. 1861
Samuel b. 1862
Thomas b. 1863
Sarah b. 1867  { b. 3 Jun 1867 (sponsors were John Neilson & Isabella Killen)
Mary b. 1870
Elizabeth b. 1873 [Could be lizzy under Archibald children]
Rose b. 1877 { b. 18 Feb 1877 (sponsors were James Tomilty & Margaret Lynchey) & bpt. Portaferry Catholic Church }
Archibald b. 1881  source  Ros has had help from Edward Graham

D.  Miss Mary McBRIDE . Ballyphilip wife of Hugh Boyd of Portaferry; died 13 Sep 1842 aged 53; buried Templecranny graveyard MIs

The answer isn’t explained on the tomelty pages
Miss   Eliza   TOMELTY   .   Down & Ballyphilip   daughter of James Tomelty ; married Archibald McBride 12 Dec 1855 in Downpatrick; mother of Mary b. 1870 & Lizzie b. 1873 (regd. Portaferry
Miss   Elizabeth TOMILTY   .   Ballyphilip    wife of Archibald McBride ; mother of Sarah b. 3 Jun 1867 (sponsors were John Neilson & Isabella Killen) & Rose b. 18 Feb 1877 (sponsors were James Tomilty & Margaret Lynchey) & bpt. Portaferry Catholic Church
Miss   Elizabeth   TOMELTY       Down   married Alexander McBride in Downpatrick 12 Dec 1855; mother of Margaret Ann b. 1861 & Samuel b. 1862 & Thomas b. 1863 & Sarah b. 1867 & Mary b. 1870 & Elizabeth b. 1873 & Rose b. 1877 & Archibald b. 1881   source Rose b. 18 Feb 1877 (sponsors were James Tomilty & Margaret Lynchey) & bpt. Portaferry Catholic Church

I think the person to contact for explanation is Edward  Graham,
Rose McBride could have married after 1900,  I searched unsuccessfully, Portaferry church records might hold clues
will keep thinking JimG

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 February 15 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to the kind people who have responded to my search for Rose M'bride, I have her traced up until 1901 census but it is after that the trail goes cold, and has been for some time, I have spent many hours searching for any scraps of information but without success.  The M'bride family buried in Templecranny are'nt mine, they were a farming family from out Ardquin way, I have visited Templecrannny, when in Portaferry, and am sure that they aren't mine.  Guess it's back to scouring the records again !!!.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 February 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Because you didn’t give any detail in your quest for Rose daughter of Eliza McBride nee Tomelty I went looking for any information to help me look where census end.
I followed up Aghadowey’ s census references which you didn’t acknowledge as being your family. The census showed Rose was brought up Catholic. You know Rose disappears after 1901, so the options include death, marriage, joined a religious order, emigrated to England Scotland.etcetc

The English 1911 census is not available on the internet  You have done GRONI so there is not trace of her marriage or death there, You have done PRONI and there is no trace of her there. Elsewhere on this website you sign your messages as Edward, which made me now wonder are you indeed Edward Graham? The very person I urged you contact. If someone had researched my name in the same area I would be in contact without delay.

From elsewhere on this website you are related by your mother to her brother Jimmy McBride. So you should know what religion Rose was likely to be after 1901.
If she was catholic, have you checked the catholic marriages and burials at Downpatrick, Strangford  and Portaferry since 1901. Have you established what catholic records exist after 1901.   You could confirm which church records you already have searched

PRONI has a church guide online, which suggests that they only have I microfillm with entries ending in 1881
[Contains most of the civil parishes of Ardquin,
Ballyphilip and Ballytrustan]
Baptisms, marriages and some funerals, 1843-81. MIC1D/74

Ros Davies website gives much wider information
St. Patrick's Catholic Chapel- Portaferry
13 Church St, Portaferry BT 22 1LS (in Tullyboard townland, east of the town) Tel; 028 4272 8373 Fax 028 4272 8102 
Parochial House- 60 Windmill St, Portaferry BT22 1RD Tel: 4272 8234records from 1823; PRONI has baptisms 1843- 1881, marriages 1843- 1881, burials 1843- 1881, NLI has baptisms 1843-1880, marriages 1843-1880; UHF has baptisms & marriages & burials 1843-1900, gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 13 ; oldest readable stone 1847; email me{Ros Davies} for a gravestone look-up Try ....I have taken out two website, you would need to look up Ros Davies.  I don’t know the cut off point if any of tombstone records Vol 13 edited by Richard Clarke was probably produced about 1970s. It’s a very generous free offer to look it up.
Ballygalget Catholic Church- St.Patrick's 
Ballygalget Rd, Portaferry BT22 1NE. A thattched church near this site was formerly known as Temple Cranny .......
[Records] registers from 1745; PRONI & NLI have baptisms 1828- 1835 & 1852- 1864 & 1866-1881, marriages 1852- 1882, UHF has births 1828-1899, marriages 1852-1899 & deaths 1894-1899, graveyard nearby, oldest stone dates from 1659 but readable ones from 1864; gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 13; email me for a gravestone look-up; Parochial House in Ballygalget Rd- Tel:4277 1212
I think this is the TempleCranny that you have visited  and say no not your family. So as you are so sure ignore this church
 So over to you, JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 February 15 21:17 GMT (UK) »
... have tried GRONI, PRONI and visited Portaferry but had no luck. Can anyone help..... Please !!!

GRONI online marriages and deaths have cut-off points so she could have married and/or died after those dates. The 1911 English/Welshe census is online (Ancestry is pay per view- Rootschat does not allow lookup requests for it). FamilySearch also have 1911 census indexed. If she left the U.K to travel overseas (but not to/via mainland Europe) then you might find her listed in U.K. outgoing passenger lists (also on Ancestry but terms & conditions do not allow lookups). The 1911 Scottish census is only available on Scotland's People site (again pay per view).

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 June 16 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much to the above for info, am still searching for what happened to Rose but without success. There seems to be a dearth of records regarding the McBride family, I am also looking for a death record for Rose's sister, Sarah ( Sadie ) McBride b 12/01/1902, d 26/06/1925. She worked as a nurse at the Downshire Hospital and I believe it was as a result of an attack by a patient that she died, however, GRONI do not seem to have any birth record. Sarah would have been baptised RC but probably, like the rest of the family, turned to C of I.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 June 16 18:03 BST (UK) »
I'm very confused here  :-\

Rose McBride was born 1877 and her sister Sarah McBride was born 1867? so who is "Rose's sister, Sarah ( Sadie ) McBride b 12/01/1902, d 26/06/1925"?

Sarah McBride born 1867- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FR9G-6NR
female McBride born 1877- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGFF-H21

Is this the Sarah who died in 1925 that you are looking for?
McBride Sadie of High Street Portaferry county Down spinster died 26 June 1925 at the Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Administration Belfast 12 August to Sarah McBride widow. Effects £260 3s. 1d.
Possibly the Sarah McBride widow mentioned above-
McBride Sarah of High Street Portaferry county Down widow died 3 April 1936 Probate Belfast 9 June to Eva McBride spinster. Effects £1906 12s. 7d.

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 June 16 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed Aghadowey, that is brilliant and apologies for my typo, Rose was, of course, Sarah's (Sadie) aunt. I'm curious where you managed to locate the death records as I have subscribed to GRONI and indeed visited PRONI last month without any success. That's one more brick in the wall, Rose however, seems as elusive as ever.

Thank you very much once again.