Author Topic: RESEARCH ON JEREMIAH DOODY  (Read 3367 times)

Offline TMD

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RESEARCH ON JEREMIAH DOODY
« on: Friday 06 February 15 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I am doing research on my great grand-father, Jeremiah Doody in the hope of finding his father and grand-father and further back if possible.  My great grand-father, Jeremiah Doody, was born about in or near Listowel, Kerry, Ireland on Feb. 21, 1838 He was baptized Feb. 19, 1838, Roman Catholic, Kilcummin Parish, Kerry, Ireland. He married Bridget Scanlan (1845-1888) in Moyvane, Kerry Ireland about Feb. 1867.  He and Bridget, had 11 children (Mary Doody, 1867,  Daniel Doody 1869 – John Doody 1871 – Anna Doody 1873 – 1876, Jeremiah Doody 1875 – Thomas Doody 1877 – 1943 - Edmund Doody -1878 – James Doody 1879 – Anna Doody 1880 – Michael Doody 1886 –  and Maurice Doody 1888). The birth dates and birth  locations all came from the church records in Moyvne Parish, Listowel, Ireland. Jeremiah Doody, my grand-father, lived in Kilmeany, Kerry, Ireland in 1901and 1911 with his son John (head of household). He died in 1877. I am a novice about research in Ireland but based on my research I feel firm with the information posted above. Using that information about my grand-father, Jeremiah Doody, I need to find out who his father and grand-father was. In the “Ireland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911”, it lists Jeremiah Doody was born on 19 February 1938, Roman Catholic, Kilcummin Parish, Kerry, Ireland with the father’s name as Jeremiah Doody and the mother’s name as Ellen McDermott.  Any suggestions how I can further verify this information about Jeremiah and Ellen and perhaps go back another generation or two? Also if my Doody genealogy is of interest to anyone I would be happy to share it.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RESEARCH ON JEREMIAH DOODY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 15 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat TMD.
You have posted on the Limerick Board. Use the Report to Moderator at the bottom of you post to have it moved to the Kerry Board.

This record of Bridget and Jeremiah gives his father as John.
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/cfa9220579941

These Baptisms appear to be their children
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eov/

Offline davii

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RESEARCH ON JEREMIAH DOODY
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a record of an Edmund Doody's birth on 29 November 1878 at Keelagorteen, Moyvane, with the father being Jeremiah Doody and the mother Bridget Scanlon, and the sponsors being Edmund Doody and Ellen Doody.  Ii is possible that the sponsors may be my great grandparents, Edmund Doody (son of James Doody and Elizabeth Scanlon and born about 1840) and Ellen Doody (nee O'Donoghue).  Edmund Doody grew up in Knocknagoshel, Co. Kerry and Ellen in Duagh, Co. Kerry and they were married on 18th April 1874 in Duagh Chapel.  Edmund and Ellen had three children, James, Elizabeth and Mary.  Mary died at just under two years old. I don't know if this is of any help but would be interested if you come across any more information.