Author Topic: Cooley of Cork  (Read 1736 times)

Offline KMT223

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cooley of Cork
« on: Friday 06 February 15 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm stuck!  Looking to discover the name and more info. about my GGG-grandmother.  She would be the first wife of John Cooley, a printer apprenticed in Cork.  He was born in 1800.  Their daughter was Sarah E. Cooley born in Cork in 1829-1831.

John Cooley and family were Catholic.  He is shown in the 1841 and 1851 Census located in Hereford, England with his second wife and subsequent children with her.  Sarah is shown living with the family in the 1841 census, but between that time and 1849, she emigrated to the Utica-Rome area in New York State.  Shortly after the 1851 census, her father and his family followed and settled in the same area.     

I have contacted some historical/genealogical facilities in Cork looking for some mention of John or Sarah, but with no luck.  I'm looking for records of birth, marriage, his printer apprenticeship, religious involvement, or death and burial of his first wife, or remarriage to his second, Anna Davies.

Thanks for any help.      Katie

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cooley of Cork
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 February 15 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katie the following:
Baptism Jno Cooly Diocese Cork & Ross South Parish. 14th sept 1800. Father Thos Cooly, Mother Ellenor Fiffe. Sponsors Timy Crowley & Elizabeth Fiffe

Mgt Cooly, Father Thos Cooly, Mother Ellen Fife 23rd April 1802 Parish as above. Sponsors Peter Sullivan & Eliza Domager.

James Coony (mistranscribed) 1st Dec 1812. Parents Thomas Coony & Ellenor Fife. Sponsors John Cooly & Ellen Walsh. Cork South Parish.

Jane Cooley 2nd April 1831 Cork South Parish. Father John Cooley, Mother Sarah Doyle. Sponsors David Walsh & Judith Morgan

Esther Cooly 17th April 1829 Cork South Parish. Parents John Cooly & Sarah Doyle. Sponsors James Lynch & Monica Fitzgerald.

All the above available on www.irishgenealogy.ie (free site)

Take a look at the following sites www.nationalarchives.ie showing 2 records for John Cooley in Tithe Applotment Books.

www.corkpastandpresent.ie & www.corkarchives.ie

Regards Frances

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 February 15 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Baptism for Sarah Doyle 6th April 1800 Diocese Cork & Ross Parish SS Peter & Paul. Address Vandeleurs Lane, Father John Doyle, Mother Ellen Connor. Sponsors Michl Moore & Mary Sweeney
www.irishgenealogy.ie :)

Offline KMT223

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 February 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information.  I know what I'll be doing this weekend...researching!