Author Topic: LONGTON FENTON GOODWINS  (Read 8957 times)

Offline frirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LONGTON FENTON GOODWINS
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 February 15 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Marriage 7 August 1881, Stone.

Thomas and Mary Ann look to have three children

Harry Finney Goodwin
Thomas B F Goodwin
Arthur J Goodwin

claire

Thomas born in 1848 did not get married until 1881at age 37. Must be a second marriage. And Harry and Arthur are not names used in the goodwin line. I am looking for a marriage in the 1860`s and more likely in Longton...
Connor-Goodwin/Carroll/Allcock/McClure
Ross(er)- Maginnis/Herbert/Bellis/Hunt(er)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 February 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

1871 census Thomas Goodwin 22(potter warehouseman) living with his parents and is single at 8 Anchor Road.

1881 census Thomas Goodwin 32 (china warehouseman) is single and living with his widowed brother Joseph (potter warehouseman) at 178 Anchor Rd.

Marriage cert states he was a bachelor aged 33

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 February 15 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Forgive me if I appear a bit dim, (my brains getting a bit frazzled with this family  :) )

Beatrice Ellen and Alice Rogers born 1864 and 1869 would have been born AFTER the marriage of Ellen Hopcroft and John Rogers in 1863 surely?

Both entries on FreeBMD were as ROGERS, do you mean mothers maiden name was GOODWIN ?

Where does Thomas Goodwin come in....I'm lost  :)

Here's Alice

1881 census : Wolverhampton : Coleman Street

Richard Hopcroft  hd  widwr 60  stonemason bn Diddington Oxfordshire
ALICE ROGERS  Gdau          12 scholar           " Wolverhampton Staffs
Lilly                        "              7       "                                "               "

Class RG11,  Piece 2799,  Folio 105,  Page 29.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 February 15 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire
First you are correct- Thomas did marry Mary Ann Finney late in life. And their children's names don't follow Goodwin patterns. I was told he had married in 1865- which is not correct!

Ellen Hopcroft had Beatrice Ellen in 1864 she used GOODWIN as Beatrice Ellen's family name and ROGERS as hers. Seems John Rogers knew she was pregnant when he married her in 1863. The same thing with Alice - surname Goodwin - Rogers mother's last name in 1868. (Sorry got year mixed up!)
(Here is the twisted part- a ROGERS had an Alice in 1869! If that is ELLEN's child that's just bizarre! )  :o

On the 1871 census the girls are both using Rogers while in exile with Ellen Hopcroft's mother Ann ( Richard's wife) in Macclesfield!  Richard Hopcroft was visiting Ellen and John Rogers at the time.
BEAELLEN was with her mom and Mr Rogers in 1881 Alice is not with them. So I have to find her in 1881. Oops You just did! Many thanks!

Beatrice Ellen (Ellen GOODWIN- she did not use Rogers when she moved to Liverpool; probably needed a new start)  married my great-grandfather in 1889 and on her marriage certificate she named her father as Thomas Goodwin Book Keeper) Then on subsequent censuses she first put she was born in Burslem, then Henley, OXON, then Oulton. She clearly was confused and little wonder. She picked places that all sounded like the actual ones she was born at / or lived in. (Bilston / Alton/ Longton)

The same month BEAELLEN was born, Thomas Goodwin snr, the Accountant, made his will in June 1864. Perhaps to add her to the will...

I also have a note about a Mr. Hopcroft at the Goodwin Potteries referring to two men as his 'sons-in-law', one being Thomas Goodwin!

There was a family story about a 'grandmother' having two children out of wedlock. It was my grandfather telling the story to one of my aunts. It was his grandmother Ellen Hopcroft. Unfortunately, she misinterpreted as my grandmother being the one in question! ( So my granddad's wife-obviously! ) 

Does that make more sense?  ;D

Thanks for everything Claire- I could not have untangled this mess without you! Finally, I can close this 8 year brick wall.  :)

PS I see there is a Lilly as well on the 1881 census with Alice and Grandad Hopcroft. Wonder who fathered her?! :P
Connor-Goodwin/Carroll/Allcock/McClure
Ross(er)- Maginnis/Herbert/Bellis/Hunt(er)