Author Topic: Ancestral DNA help  (Read 3803 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral DNA help
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 February 15 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craclyn

Thanks for your interest and reply - as I mentioned in my orginal post I'm not looking at recent history but of the origins of the family.............hence why I was asking if anyone knew if this was suitable for me.

I wonder if someone could tell me if this test would be suitable for me ?  I am willing to buy more than one for relatives to be tested.

I am looking for origins rather than relatives; have managed to get a decent family tree on most branches using paper (and computer) research. Ideally I would like to find out my son's origins from all of his four grand parents lines. On paper apart from my husband's mother line the rest of the families meet the 20 mile rule ! But I am much more interested at the moment about the origins of the families if I can get that information.

I am an a female only child,  with one son.  My husband's mother's line is originally from Suffolk - she is still alive but there are no male relatives left.  My husband is tall, blue eyed and is fair with a hint of red in his hair.  I am wondering about a possible scandinavian ancestry   His father is from North East Wales, he is no longer with us but one of his brothers is still alive.   I am from North West Wales as were both my parents there were rumours in my dad's maternal side about a spanish lady (?).

Who would be best to test ?  Available are, myself, my husband and son.  My male cousin from my dad's side - his dad and my dad were brothers.  My Mum's brother and his son.   Of course I would prefer to do the least number possible.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 February 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Unless someone wants to contradict me I don't see the point in doing the Ancestry test for £99 when familytreeDNA's family finder test does the same but for only $99.

(Someone did reply on your previous thread. Yes the test does do what you want but the results are very broad brush and for example are unlikely to answer your Spanish lady question)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 February 15 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help - the reply to the original thread was not posted till 18.25 gmt last night and I did not receive any notification about it. I only posted in the general forum as there had not been any replies up till when I posted.
I have taken their advice and will wait till someone else comes along
Nesta

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 February 15 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes sorry I hadn't realised you started this thread before the reply was put on the other thread.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 00:10 GMT (UK) »
No problem  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Nesta, I took the FTDNA Family Finder test a year or so ago on special offer for $99. Results are interesting and much as I expected. (I'm female)

They give you a nice map showing where you 'originated' and it also gives percentages of ethnicity though you do not know whether locations are from maternal or paternal ancestry. It is very non specific though.

There are links to 'cousins', most of which are American - none of the surnames I recognize as being families I have come across in my research, so any common ancestors are probably further back in time and may not be findable via a paper trail. As the tests are more popular in America results will generally have an American bias.

You can get a FamilyFinder test for anyone. Initially perhaps you could test your son as his results will include all of your and your husband's ancestry. If you find it useful you could then go on to other tests in the future (these companies do regular 'special offers').
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/test-types/autosomal-dna-snp-test-family-finder-test-will-learn/

A Y-DNA test for your husband will trace the male line. You need to test as many markers as you can afford.
An MTDNA test for a female will trace the female line. (though it can also be taken by males)

A couple of years ago both my father and husband tested 67 markers and neither have any useful 'cousin' matches as yet (which is what we were hoping for). My husband, with one of the most common names in the UK has no matches, I think due to lack of numbers in the UK being tested. However my father's (distant) matches have given us some further information about his origins - though the results are obviously skewed and reliant upon others who have tested, which may change as more and more people take tests.

So a Y-DNA test for your husband, may throw up a lot of names from a particular area of the world.

I'm not sure I explained that particularly well, but I hope you can get a grasp of what I am trying to say.  :)

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 06:15 GMT (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie and Young Tug;

Ruskie - your personal experience story was a great help.

THanks for your links Young Tug - haven't had chance to look at them properly but at least they are not making my eyes glaze over - I did A level genetics but a very long time ago and things have changed a huge amount since then and as I was reading the online explanations my eyes were glazing !

Nesta

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Trystan - thanks for letting my thread stay on the common Room for a couple of days - it gave it a chance to get some answers, much appreciated.
Nesta