Author Topic: Rippett  (Read 7402 times)

Offline GlenP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rippett
« Reply #27 on: Friday 04 November 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Re:  Mary Ann Rippett, born abt 1838 Manchester. Father - Thomas Rippett. dyer

1841 - Found Mary Ann Rippett, 3yrs old, born Lancashire living with Richd & Mary Gregory (both 25yrs born Lancashire)  Stone Mason, at 5 Thompson Street, Manchester.  No indication of who she is in relation to the Gregorys.  No trace of the Gregorys after 1841 in Manchester, nor Mary Ann, but I'm still looking. 

Could be illegitimate daughter of Thomas Rippett jun (1827-1848) or even his father Thomas snr.
Therefore bapt could be recorded under mother's maiden name (unknown and almost impossible to find) or may not have been baptised.  Could also have been a catholic baptism.  Checked every bapt record possible on Ancestry, FindMyPast, LancsOPC,

Thompson St is in Ancoats and is only a relatively short distance from Lee Street where all the Rippetts were living from 1841 to 1861. 

There's a marriage for Mary Ann Rippett to John Henry Richardson on 19 Nov 1866 at Manchester Cathedral.  Have you already found this?

Who did Margaret Lomas marry, and where?

Regards
Glen

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 13 November 16 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen,
Reply in part, later than planned. Margaret Lomas married Alexander Robson 23 Dec 1865, St John, Miles Platting, M/c. Margaret only had this one christian name in all records I have found.
Now to Mary Ann Rippett. Have the 1841 census with the Richard and Mary Gregory, like you haven't found any other reference to R & M.
1851 census MAR 12yrs G/D of Thomas Rippett Hd
1861 census MAR 22yrs on image, but Mary Ann Lomas on transcript G/d of Thomas Rippett Hd
1866 marriage of MAR to John Henry Richardson. MAR may have said her father as Thomas    with a 'new' occupation.
1871 census JHR & MAR have two children Elizabeth Ann bc1862 & Sarah bc1869
        BUT Elizabeth Ann is registered before marriage as EA Ripit no mothers maiden name.
1872 a son Thomas Richardson is registered with mother as Rippett may be other children
This is as far I have been able to search.
Notes made....
MAR could be dau of May/Mary of T&C...nothing else known.
MAR could be dau of Margaret of T&C...nothing else known.
MAR could be dau of Jane (& Wm Rosenbaum)
MAR could be dau of Thomas Rippett son of T&C (he died 1848)
MAR could be dau of Thomas Rippett Hd of family
I did see the late baptism of William Rosenbaum.
Will continue searching,
Regards,
Megran.   
Caunt - Manchester & area, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire.
Edwards - Cheshire, Denbighshire, Manchester
Lloyd - Marbury area,Cheshire
Isherwood - Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire
Vaughan - Marbury area, Cheshire
Walker - Manchester/Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire

Offline GlenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 November 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
These are some notes a while ago when researching the Rippett/Nevin family - "There is a baptism recorded, on 16 Jun 1811, for a May (should be Mary) Ripett, born 30 Apr 1811, at Manchester Cathedral, daughter of Thomas and Catherine Ripett.  (The name could be a mistake by the recorder because the baptism is in the middle of several other Marys)."

I still think it was an error by the person recording the baptisms (not the first time I've seen this, especially at the Cathedral where there were a huge number of baptisms at the same time).

Thanks for the info about Margaret - I'd found this, but had got it into my head that she'd married in Bolton, but none of them tied-in with father's name.

Regards
Glen