Author Topic: Rippett  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rippett
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 March 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi heatherjulie,
Many thanks again. Yes, plenty of new names and looks like some complicated families. Certainly going to keep me busy. Thanks again,
Regards,
Megran.
Caunt - Manchester & area, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire.
Edwards - Cheshire, Denbighshire, Manchester
Lloyd - Marbury area,Cheshire
Isherwood - Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire
Vaughan - Marbury area, Cheshire
Walker - Manchester/Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 June 15 15:32 BST (UK) »
Anyone researching Thomas Rippett bc1776/81 Ireland, possibly married Catherine, children seem to be bp Manchester. Thomas on the 1871 census age 92yrs. Some other names seem to be Rosenbaum, Lomas and Neild. New family to search but seem to be going round in circles. May have knocked down part of a long standing brick wall.
Any help or pointers welcome.
Many Thanks,
Megran.

I have found on A......y reference to a tree listing Rippett, Rosenbaum, Lomas and Neild. Please could someone pass a message to the owner. Not able to contact them at the library. [On another website.]
I would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
Megran.

Offline GlenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 21:56 BST (UK) »
I've done some research into the Rippett family in Manchester.  If you want any info, please let me know.

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen,
Delighted to hear from a Rippett (of Manchester) researcher. I will check my file tomorrow and reply again asap.
Many thanks for contacting me.
Megran.

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 October 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen,
My main brickwall at the moment is Jane Rippett d/o Thomas and Catherine Rippett. At first there was a possibility there were two Jane's. I found a marriage for a Jane married in 1835 to a William Rosenbaum and a son baptised 1836. The next marriage I found was a Jane married as a Spinster to a James Lomas in 1845 and a daughter Margaret born to them in 1845. Was the first marriage dissolved and what happened to William? There are other brickwalls in the Rippett family. I have more info. There are several spellings for Rippett and Rosenbaun also mistranscriptions.
Many Thanks if you can help. 
Megran.

Offline GlenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 October 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
I think there's only one Jane Rippett, and William Rosenbaum possibly took off and left her and their son.  Maybe he emigrated?  Certainly haven't found an acceptable death.  It wasn't uncommon to tell untruths on certs.  I've come across quite a few!  I've not had any success with Margaret Lomas as it's a very common name and often misspelled as Lomax.
Jane subsequently married William Neild (b.1809 d.1886) - 1 Jan 1862.  She died Jan 1893.  In 1891 she was living with son Thomas (shown as married, but no wife on census) at 55 Naylor St, Manchester.  His wife and family were living at 155 Slater St (not far away, I think)
Not much help with your brickwalls I'm afraid.

Offline GlenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 October 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
Not about the Rippetts - I've also got Walkers of Bolton in the same tree.  Are they connected to the Rippetts in any way?

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 November 16 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen, Thanks for your reply. Yes, with all the info on the census etc there is only the one Jane Rippett. Started to check for a William Rosenbaum nothing found (yet) but with different spellings of the surname or even a change of name not surprising. No burial for Jane Neild found.

Thomas (Rippett) Rosenbaum  married Mary Nevil 1859 at St Mary the Virgin, Eccles, they had two daughters Catherine bn 1862 and Elizabeth bn 1864. In 1871 census Mary (married, no husband there) and the two daughters were living with Jane Neild Hd, as dau-in-law and grand daughters. Mary died 1908, Elizabeth 1909, Catherine married. Thomas Rippett Rosenbaun died 1909.

I have further info etc on Margaret Lomas she married and their son married Mary Ellen Walker bn M/c and bp Bolton, her parents were both from Bolton.

There seems to be some Trees on Ancestry, I'm not a subscriber, but they do differ on the Index.
Thomas Rippett has several members of his extended family living with him from time to time.
Hope this may help. I will continue on the Rippett brickwalls.
Many Thanks,
Regards,
Megran.

Offline GlenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 November 16 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I found a baptism for William Rosenbaum (CofE), on 23 Jun 1833 at St Matthew, Bethnal Green, born 7 Jun 1805 a Biallistok, Russia(Bialystok, Poland), parents Lion and Rebekah Rosenbaum. Lion's occ given as Rabbi.  No sign of him after son's bapt, in which his occ is given as Teacher of Languages.  As I've not found any census records for him, there's no way of checking if it's him.

I'm pretty sure that Mary Nevil was in fact Mary Nevin, whose sister, Catherine, is my 2xgt-grandmother.  Thomas and Mary's daughters were recorded as mother's maiden name Bevin and Nevill (this has happened several times with other family members).  The reason I think this, is because, in 1861, what appears to be Mary's parents were living with Thomas and Mary Rippett at Portugal St.  In 1871 Thomas Nevin was living with Jane Neild (head of household), Thomas Rippett (so he was in the household!), his wife Mary and their 2 daughters (plus 2 lodgers)..

From 1881 - 1901 Mary and both daughters were living at, first, 55 East Leigh St, Manchester, and then Slater St, Manchester.

In 1901, Thomas Rippett Rosenbaum was living (head of household) at Miles Platting with 2 lodgers.

I found the marriage for Margaret Lomas, but discounted it because it was in Bolton.  I'll take another look.  Thanks for that.  The reason I asked about the Walker family was because my gt-grandmother was called Elizabeth Walker, born 1856 at Darcy Lever, Bolton.  Only connected by marriage to the Nevin line.

I've an Ancestry a/c if you've anything specific you want me to check out.

Regards
Glen