Author Topic: James Clegg death on Jersey  (Read 5040 times)

Offline mbjjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Clegg death on Jersey
« on: Sunday 08 February 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I have been searching in vain for the death of a James Clegg on Jersey, likely between 1863 and 1871. Someone kindly checked the death registers on Jersey but found nothing. He appeared on the 1861 census but by 1871 his wife Eliza was listed a widow. I have searched English BMDs as well as he was born in Devon, but no luck. I am out of ideas as to where he went.

Thanks!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Clegg death on Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 February 15 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Do you know his occupation, was he a seafarer or anything?

It's possible she wasn't really a widow but they had parted so the death occurred later.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline mbjjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. Yes, we have considered different possibilities as his son did the same sort of thing (son's wife listed herself as widow in 1901 but we found said son dying in 1927) and yes, there is a seafaring possibility. Two of the sons were seafarers (one died at sea), although the man in question was listed as blacksmith, coachbuilder, "chauffeur", and "engineer". We're not sure if he started out as a blacksmith then started working on some sort of ship engine. I checked the British BMD's for quite a number of years but didn't see anyone who may be him, which leaves dying mysteriously on Jersey, or at sea.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 February 15 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I checked the deaths at sea register yesterday and there are no Clegg's mentioned.

Stewart

Offline mbjjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 15 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Ok, thanks. Was that register specifically for the Channel Island or the U.K.?  The only one we found in the U.K. one was James Clegg's son, Clement Clegg, dying in 1906 on board the Gena. Seems he died of malaria. James Clegg is such a mystery! Guess he could be mistranscribed.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 February 15 09:31 GMT (UK) »
The deaths at sea are specific to Jersey and is a summary of deaths recorded in the Merchant Seaman's Benevolent Fund Register.

Your enquiry rings a bell. Did I look at this some time ago? I can't see any previous requests you've made so I made be dreaming!

I'll have another look at the Jersey deaths but it will probably be next week.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 February 15 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I managed to have a look today.

Having gone through all the Parish's from at least 1863 and 1871 I cannot find his death. The only thing I came across was a Frederick James Clegg death in St. Saviour, 20th Dec 1855. He was only 1 year 8 months old and died from Dentition (!) but, James Clegg was present at his death. Ref: St. Savoour deaths Mar 1851 to Dec 1865, page 47.

Although registration came into effect in Jersey from 1842, it didn't become law to comply with until much later and so it may just be that the death wasn't registered.

I will look next week at some funeral director records.

Stewart

Offline mbjjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 February 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow, thank you very much! It is very appreciated.
Someone last year did check the death registers for me, perhaps that was you? I guess the little Frederick James who died was my great grandfather's brother, poor little thing.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Major breakthrough!!

I checked the death registers again for my own comfort and found nothing.

I checked the burial records for the available cemeteries and again found nothing. I did see the burial of Frederick James at Mont a l'Abbe cemetery.

I then checked the funeral directors records and for "Sinnatts, 1823-1891" dated 16th May 1870 -

Clegg - James, 49 years 11 months, at Granville Hospital. Brought over by steamer in which he was a fireman on 17th May and buried 19th May at Mont a l'Abbe.

Granville is a town on the Normandy coast. I have no idea why he is not in the burial record but I would suggest he could be buried with his son in and unmarked grave.

I looked at the newspaper around that time to see if there was any mention but couldn't see anything. The newspapers are in French which is not my strong language but the name would have stood out.

He must have been on a French (at least not Jersey) registered ship otherwise he would have been liable to pay into the Seaman's Benevolent Fund.

Stewart